Northern Lights

Wow it’s rare to see the Northern Lights as far south as Brighton in Sussex England, just spectacular tonight!

16 Likes

I could see things in Cambridge too. But also clouds.

1 Like

We could hear a hissing sound too coming from the sky it was really weird. Very rare to see this so far south…

1 Like

That’s a definite WOW!

1 Like

I’ve just woken up & missed it all.

It was the sun’s mass eruption that caused a powerful geomagnetic storm to hit Earth. Due to the eruption, the northern lights were seen around Europe, all the way South to the Alps. And it’s not over yet, as these shock waves will continue to affect Earth’s magnetic field throughout the weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, just heard from a friend that we might see the lights tonight so going to stay up :smile:

6 Likes

A bit further north (and not such great photos :grin:) this is just a few miles outside Stratford-upon-Avon.

8 Likes

It was amazing in Northumberland, it’s the first time we’ve seen them properly, we saw a glimpse from an airplane to Iceland once, but last night was brilliant.

14 Likes

Some great photos here. If I see them tonight I’ll post pics if any good

Scan around with your camera as it’s much harder to see with the naked eye, also try to avoid any light pollution if you can.

2 Likes

Hi @BonnyinBrighton They certainly were spectacular!

This was our view of the Northern Lights from the Cotswolds last night. :heart:

10 Likes

So many stunning photos from last night! :heart:

1 Like

Aurora Australis or Southern Lights were spectacular too in some southern parts of Australia. Not where I live but here’s a couple from Tasmania.

16 Likes

Was hoping to see them out in the countryside west of Wash, DC but the clouds covered the sky last night!
Back in the 1980s I saw a subdued display out walking my Irish Wolfhound in St Paul, Minn. Sam the IW wasn’t interested no matter how I pointed his eyes to them.

5 Likes

Glossop Peak District

8 Likes

Oregon, USA, where we do not normally see the Northern Lights!! Last night.

10 Likes

I’m in Vancouver, Canada and saw nothing last night. Meanwhile, friends of mine living a one to three hour drive North of me had some great photos. Also have friends in England and Ireland who captured great pics. Going to see if I can capture photos tonight.

This is not my photo but a friends from San Francisco with the Golden gate bridge.

@BonnyinBrighton I’m in Brighton for the night as I’m flying out tomorrow, I’ll semy alarm just in case since i slept through it while in Plymouth.

6 Likes

From my back garden, in the south of Scotland!

11 Likes