Is this site real?

Hi I just tried to set up an account but it wants me to pay like $189 for a year, is this but a scam? I’m looking to housesit in Vancouver I don’t. Want to pay to pay $200 for something I have no idea about. Can someone help me thank you.

Hi @Amanda I have sent you a Direct Message regarding the membership … if you need any further help please message me back.

Thank you and welcome to the Forum.

Angela

1 Like

Hello Amanda, The $189 is for a Homeowner and Sitter Membership. If you just want to be a Sitter, it’s just $129 per year. The Homeowner/Sitter fee ($189) is if you want a Sitter to sit for you at your Home. Plus the option to be a Sitter yourself.
I hope this helps.
John

4 Likes

Just to add in - the annual membership is well worth it if you commit to using it. We pay £99 a year for membership. We could easily pay that for just one night in an AirBnB somewhere. We’ve been housesitting for three years now, and have done 65 housesits so the fee has been well worth it!

However at this time, there are very few housesits available because of COVID. Before you join, I would check to see if there are housesits around where you want to go as it is not the best time to join. There is also no guarantee you will be accepted for a housesit if you apply. Don’t want to put you off as its an amazing site - but also don’t want you expecting to get housesits and then think badly of the platform.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the comments I’m thinking about joining can anyone tell me where I can find house sitting in my area Vancouver Canada ?

1 Like

There is only one home owner on THS looking for a sitter in Vancouver for a few dates in September.

1 Like

I live in Vancouver so if you want to housesit here it’s definitely worth an annual membership of $130 a year. You certainly won’t find a hotel for that price for one night in Vancouver unless in the middle of winter. You would definitely get more than your money’s worth. Just for your info, the house sits in Vancouver are snapped up really fast so you’d have to apply quite quickly on them. Hope this info helps - good luck!

1 Like

As someone else mentioned, there isn’t many house sits at the moment but when you join, just due a search for Vancouver under “find a house sit” and you’ll see the sits specifically in Vancouver. I live in Vancouver so if you have any questions re areas, please feel free to ask me.

1 Like

Be sure to set up alerts if you want a sit in a specific area. If you look at an area it will show you the currently available sits as well as other homeowners who are on the site but don’t have current dates available. If you click the little heart, it will save that sit as a favorite and send you a message when they post dates. Even with that there’s no guarantee that you will get chosen. I have alerts set for all of the homeowners in Hawaii and had a message sent that there was a new sit posted (in my favorite town even). I started writing a message immediately and by the time I hit send (I take a while to craft a personal message) there were already 20 applicants. My application was never even read. But, with the alerts, you improve your odds of getting an application in early and thus getting chose. We did recently land a month-long sit in Hawaii. Be sure to read Angela’s blogs and watch the videos for tips on improving your listing and getting chosen. It is all very helpful for new members. I always recommend applying for sits near you to get started and to get some reviews then you will be a more appealing applicant for the more popular sits. Good luck!

1 Like

There is a fee, but if you have contacts already subscribed then they can send you a discount code.
You will absolutely not regret signing up.
Just compare Air BnB prices for similar properties…

1 Like