Is TrustedHousesitters Value for money?

Oh poor you … how awful. Although I’m a teacher here in the UK, I’d happily pop across the pond when I can to sit for you so that you can travel and visit family. Sadly we are still prevented from doing so, but we all live in hope of the UK and US governments allowing transatlantic travel eventually.

2 Likes

I’m in Canada on Vancouver Island BC a nice east coast town

2 Likes

Hi where are you on the Island @848475?

I lived in Nanoose Bay for 5 years close to Parksville ,we had a B&B it’s a beautiful part of BC and our visitors were always amazed at how large and diverse the Island is, the West coast is so different to the East as is the North & South … the best weather in Canada too.

A beautiful place to call home.

I live in Courtenay behind Art Knapps just north of the town on the way to Campbell River using old highway

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing a memory of home,I know it well @848475 … beautiful scenery.

That’s awesome, I’m sure you’ll have the best time traveling while making furry friends!

2 Likes

Hi all! I was looking for this topic on this forum but not having luck. I’m new all around I’ll get better. :sweat_smile: I have two small pups and am considering signing up as I have a few trips and work trips coming up this year. I’ve never used a stranger in general so the idea makes me a bit nervous but this deal seems too good to be true? Can you ease my mind? Any personal experience tips on getting started? TIA!

Hi @birdieandgil welcome to the forum. I think you’re likely correct in that there’s no direct topic on this forum to answer whether it’s worth it. My guess is it’s because there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. It’s something that each person has to assess individually.

I would suggest that you take some time to look around the various topics. A good place to start is to go to ‘forum home’ and ‘categories’. You can also use the spyglass search option to search key words and it will show a range of posts relating to those words.

After seven years as a sitter with THS, I will say that the homeowners I’ve connected with have been totally satisfied with the win-win concept. However, a successful sit, for both homeowner and sitter, relies on good communication. As a homeowner, that will require time and effort on your part, to provide a detailed listing with a wide range of photos, so that you can attract suitable sitters. You’ll find many tips on the forum for both attracting and selecting sitters.

Taking some time to absorb some of the information on the forum should certainly help you decide whether it will be worth it for you, in your particular situation.

6 Likes

Welcome birdieandgil: I’m not a homeowner but I’m a sitter with THS for the last seven years and it’s been a great experience. It’s only natural to worry about strangers coming into your home but I think you have to be open-minded to be a part of this organization. As sitters, we don’t know what to expect when we accept a sit and homeowners also don’t know what to expect but this organization has definitely created a “mutual trust” environment for a “win-win” situation for both homeowners and sitters. It’s so great to have your pets looked after in their own homes vs a kennel and when you think of what you pay for a yearly membership with THS it’s well worth the money. As a sitter, our annual membership is less than a hotel room for one night and as a homeowner your annual membership is far less than putting your pet in a kennel for a week. Definitely worth it!

7 Likes

Welcome.

I’m an owner and a sitter, and have been a member just about 6 months. I’m on my 4th sit now, while my cat and house is cared for by my third sitter. (My first sit was very close to my house, so I could pop home every day to medicate my old cat)

The idea of opening your house to a complete stranger is initially strange, but it works really well. That is especially true for dogs, who need more frequent care than most cats. If you browse this forum, you will find lots of tips, including how to list your house to make it desirable to sitters.

4 Likes

Hi @birdieandgil
Welcome to the forum and to the world of THS. I have been a full-time home and pet sitter since 2018. Like you, I was very skeptical. I had been a “professional career woman” with extensive solo travel experience. Recently retired, I was not and still am not ready to stop living a gratifying fulfilling life and made the decision to be location independent for that purpose. So I am not a HO anymore but I have been and appreciate the HO perspective.

Once I started I discovered a world and a way of life I never imagined possible and I am happy to say, I continue to discover and learn every single day and life has never felt so good.

That being said, the value of something is only what an individual deems it to be. It is very personal. The value as per the definition of the word is what importance and significance we give and receive to something.
The advantages and disadvantages will be unique to you.
What is it worth to you to keep your pets at home in their own environment?
To have peace of mind that your home and loved ones are well tended to?
To open your home to someone who loves animals and might truly enjoy the wonderful things your home or location can offer a traveler, a person seeking animal companionship, or just a break from life?

For me, this has been a gift at a time well needed.
That is priceless.

9 Likes

Hi @birdieandgil
I am a homeowner and joined in August last year. Just a few days ago we said goodbye to our second sitters and tonight I am going to have a video call with the third couple, who I will probably confirm for July. So far our experiences were great and to us it’s definitely worth it.
Here’s the thread about my experiences: First time we had a sitter was just perfect!
We live in Germany and so far I haven’t had any lack of applications. I read on the forum, however, that many HOs from the UK, don’t seem to get enough applications. So I think it depends on where you’re located and how you set up your listing.
Think of it as an advertisement of your home and pet, you want to get the attention of potential sitters with. Good pictures of the pets and the areas in the house that the sitters are going to use, a detailed description of the house and needs of your pets and information about how to get there.
I looked at many other listings before I created mine and I try to stand out from the others to attract sitters…so far I was successful :wink:

We used to have just neighbors popping in to feed our two cats while we were away, but this didn’t work as good as we wanted. That’s why we thought of asking someone to stay in the house during our absence and it made all the difference! I know that the first time having strangers staying in the house feels awkward but seeing the cats behaving relaxed when you get back, you don’t want it any other way. Unfortunately our sitter passed away a few years ago and we had to look for others to sit. In August I stumbled across THS and instantly joined, because for us it’s just perfect.

8 Likes

Hi @birdieandgil - We are sitters not owners but can totally understand your original nervousness about having strangers into your home to care for your pets - After all, Thats probably the two most important things in your life !

Amazingly, it works, and works really well. The sitters get free accommodation that allows them to travel and meet lots of lovely pets and you get to save on kennels / catteries - - but the real winners with the Trusted house sitters concept are your pets . They get to stay in their familiar surroundings and get one to one care, cuddles, love and attention. You just can not put a price on that.

11 Likes

I have been a member for almost three years and had 17 different sitters in my home before we lost our baby girl. Each was wonderful and never had an issue. We are now changing gears and have become sitters for THS. Looking forward to all the snuggles, travel, new adventures and new friends!

You won’t regret it!!!

9 Likes

Replying to my initial post because wow I am overwhelmed with everyone’s positive experiences! I think I was worried about not being able to find a sitter even after posting and this concept feeling too good to be true. Seems like we would be lucky to be a part of this community. How long of sits are common? Weekend? Week? I will do my research per your suggestions on how to create the best post. My first trip is in 6 weeks, think I’ll have enough time? Or should I post for my next (9 weeks)?

4 Likes

Post ASAP any and all you have planned. short long, near, far, soon or ahead because there is a sitter looking for each of those. Won’t be the same person but you will find that some enjoy doing repeat sits. Some prefer last minute, some plan way ahead, some are looking for short sits to fill gaps or just for a jaunt while others are looking for longer term.
There are no guarantees ever but be as clear and as specific as possible and you will increase the probability of attracting the right sitter for the right time frame.

6 Likes

Personally I would guess that Portland, Oregon would be a desirable location for sitters, especially for just two pups and if you are close to public transportation. Maybe post a topic specifically for Oregon HO’s and ask them how it’s going for them.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I was unaware I could set up a free account to browse I’ll definitely be doing that, thank you.

I didn’t think of a portland specific post, I will do that now. Thank you for that idea.

And looks like there are currently 65 sits in the area :sweat_smile: