Issue with my decision to not renew membership

I have decided to cancel my annual membership with TrustedHousesitters. Unfortunately, in order to not have it auto renew, the app tells me that I must cancel my petsitting commitments that will take place AFTER I close my account. I have 3 set up for this fall and they are counting on me to petsit. I’m not sure how to handle the situation. I contacted each one and they are comfortable with me petsitting even if I’m not a member.
Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t see why not if the hosts know the situation, and are happy with it. Obviously you won’t be able to request references through TH.

2 Likes

Might I ask the reason for you not renewing your membership @barbb if you don’t mind?

So long as the owners and you realise that if there is an emergency or issue on the sit, then there is no support available from THS @barbb and you could be liable. Those owners do still have time to book other sitters.

I do not believe it makes any difference as to liability. Have you read the THS terms? They are not responsible for anything.

2 Likes

You misunderstood me @pietkuip. Without the sit going through THS, the sitter would be “on their own” and could be liable should anything go wrong on the sit.

2 Likes

@temba I understood you. But the sitter is always “on their own” in case they cause damage to the home or the furniture or the pet. The sitter needs their own liability insurance.

3 Likes

No there’s insurance cover through THS for the furniture and pets @pietkuip (or that was definitely our impression)

@Cuttlefish - I would say not on all membership tiers. I have ‘basic’ membership and as far as I know there is no insurance cover.

2 Likes

Aha! Always a new bit of info. Thanks @Twitcher

1 Like

I guess I am concerned that TrustedHousesitters would take action against the POs for using a sitter that isn’t affiliated with the app anymore. Do you think I should worry about this?

1 Like

Well there are lots of sitters who get sits through Facebook. That would be my last choice but it can work out, although I’ve yet to test that for my next sit

2 Likes