January sits

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a January sit somewhere warm but seeing nothing come up - Do people not really go away much in January, are they getting snapped up before I get a chance to see them or do people just list things much closer to when they go away now?

Any tips or tricks appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @RR12345 have you been looking for specific locations or are you happy with anywhere that is warm in January?

Not too specific! :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK, so it is a bit dependent on flight prices. Australia and Singapore etc are too far (seen some there)

Put the Canary Islands in your search list in case that comes up as probably the closest warm place to UK. Maybe UAE &/or Oman but they won’t be super hot. It’s hard to get seriously warm in Jan without heading to Asia to be honest….or the Caribbean. Both not cheap though! If it’s just blue skies and sunshine but in jeans and jumpers then Cyprus or Turkey worth a look. We are wearing shorts and swimming in the sea here in SW Turkey right now :raised_hands:t3::tr:

3 Likes

Thank you! My ideal place would be Mexico (willing to fork out for those flights) other than that Cyprus / Greece / that kind of thing would do me fine - just desperate to escape the misery of a soggy cold January in England :slight_smile:

We’ve had our Spain sit agreed for late Dec/Jan since last spring.

@RR12345 I’m really sorry but we snaffled all the best sits in Thailand until April :sweat_smile:

Also you’re right there are not many sits in January as Christmas is an expensive time for people and most sits come around school holidays. There’s also a big lull around November too I have noticed.

My best advice is to favourite all the sits you like in a country so that you can get the notification straight away.

Best of luck :crossed_fingers:t3:

lol no worries - that’s probably a bit far for me as much as I’d love it :slight_smile:

enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @RR12345 as @Enjaybee mentioned, be sure to favourite all the sits you like in various countries so you will get notified once they are listed

I was looking a few weeks ago for January sits in a variety of places. I agree, not many in warm places, but many sits. I found one in San Fransisco – not warm but warmer than NYC where I live. There are actually a glut of NYC sits, to the point where several people who applied wound up declining for other NYC sits! So if you would consider “warmer” rather “warm” you could probably find something. Plus airfares are so much lower than during the Christmas season!

@RR12345 There are a couple of sits in Florida and a last minute sit in Greece -, Southern France and one in Portugal…you could maybe contact the homeowners even if you are available for only a part of it . Ask if that would work for them.

Likewise maybe look for long sits that start in December with low applications and see if the owners are flexible with dates or are interested in splitting the sit ?

1 Like

Sadly flights to nyc from London are a lot - not really worth trading one expensive city for another (as much as I love nyc!)

@RR12345 there are a couple of sits in Mexico in January currently on “Reviewing” so it might be worth favouriting them if you haven’t already just incase they come back on.

1 Like

We are in Mexico now and Sits do come up. They are popular, so you have to get alerts. You might consider Arizona (USA) also, which is cheaper overall than California.

1 Like

Trying to avoid the US as it’s been my last 3 sits but thank u :slight_smile:

1 Like

A month in Lanzarote is showing now!!

2 Likes

If you are looking for southern hemisphere for the summer weather then you will find January is the start of the school so most families would have had school holidays from early/mid December to mid-Jan and not be looking to go away then and would rather be coming back from a christmas break. You will obviously be getting people without kids taking advantage of lower prices late Jan but that would mean less sits compared to the holidays

Ahh that makes sense! I’m kidless so not in the loop with the kid schedule :slight_smile: thanks

Just had a look at that one @Colin and there is 1 applicant already although the homeowner will be there throughout the sit and requires help with the dogs.

1 Like

Very few sits in the canaries listed on THS (I have it on my sit list).