Keeping Them Safe - Pet Firework Safety Tips & Advice

PETS AND FIREWORKS: HOW TO KEEP YOUR FURRY FRIENDS STRESS-FREE THIS FIREWORK SEASON

Pets and fireworks - not a combo made in doggy heaven… or feline, for that matter. While fireworks and parades may be fun for us humans, the truth is they can be a real source of stress for our pets. The loud noises and unexpected bright lights can be seriously unnerving, so it’s important to take extra precautions to make sure our pets are kept safe and comfortable throughout this sometimes scary time. So, without further ado, let’s get into our tips on keeping pets safe during fireworks season.

DOG CARE TIPS: Walk/feed before dusk, close windows/curtains, turn up TV/radio/music (reggae works apparently!), provide safe den/space/room to destress/cope, try distraction games with treats/toys, consider pheromone plug-ins & make sure microchip details up to date. - Source: @marcthevet

CAT CARE TIPS: Feed before dusk, lock cat flaps, provide litter tray, close windows/curtains, turn up TV/radio/music (classical works apparently!), make sure safe space/room/high platforms to hide/destress, try pheromone diffusers & check microchip details up to date Source: @marcthevet

3 Likes

Thanks @Angela_L for this important reminder and interesting tips! I’ve never thought of turning on music specifically to mask the booms of fireworks for pets but will do so in the future.

1 Like

It’s a horrible time for animals and I’ve already read some sad reports from accidents this weekend. One tip I did pick up on from a reputable breeder (if you have a puppy) is to play recordings of fireworks (some on Youtube) to them when they are very small and in their happy place. This helps them to become accustomed to the noise and, hopefully, less upset.

2 Likes