Lack of applications

I’m having trouble finding someone as well to sit for my dog and cat in MONTREAL for August.

Less people traveling internationally. All of my last sitters were from other countries than Canada.

Also, I’ve been combing through profiles and sending invites but SO many have not had any sits in YEARS! I only invited those who had sits this year or post-pandemic. It’s a lot of work to comb through to find recent sitters. Isn’t there a way to filter this out?

1 Like

Did they lift the restriction for 3 day hotel stays if travellers have been double V’ed? And I don’t think they have to Q anymore, just testing at both ends. I also think you can drive into the U.S.? I have a friend that’s doing that next week. The problem until recently was coming back into Can where there have been stricter measures in place.

Fully vaccinated Canadians no longer have to quarantine, nor are they required to stay at a government authorized hotel. Same will apply for fully vaccinated US citizens as of August 9th when they will be permitted to enter Canada via land and air. Everyone has to have a PCR test and use the ArriveCan app/website.

Canadians are permitted to fly to the US, but are not permitted to cross at land borders.

Restrictions will lift for international travelers September 7th

Requirements are constantly evolving. Here’s the link to the Canadian website for you to confirm for yourself:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/entering-canada-checklist

We are finding this too for our holiday at the end of August - less than 4 weeks to go. In the past we have had plenty of applications. I have tried adding more pictures etc.

1 Like

Hello @AlanandFran Welcome to our Community Forum thank you for joining.

Your listing looks great, Emmy and Joey are adorable, you also have great sitter feedback.

You can re list which will position you listing as a new listing, also reach out to sitters in your area, there are new members joining everyday looking for their first sit. You have time to find your sitters, although we know how important it is to have beloved pet’s care arranged,. there are other others who have been in your position, these are unusual times and successfully found sitters.

There will be much help and support here on the forum.

Welcome again.

Angela and the Team

It’s not you.

I’ve had three HO with whom I’ve had previous house sits ask me to return. Of course, I love repeat sits, but had to turn them down because I was committed to other sits.

Need to get your advert out early…I mean MONTHS not weeks.

2 Likes

Hi. I would suggest you consider looking at those who live relatively close but that you widen your date for when they last did a sit. I have been a sitter on THS for 7 years and am now on my first sit since December of 2019. My lack of sits is purely because of the pandemic, and I’m currently on a sit that’s 1.5 hrs away from my home (I live in Niagara Falls, Canada). It serves to give me a change of scenery and also show a recent review. Maybe there are similar people in the Montreal area who would welcome an opportunity to do their first sit since the pandemic started.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: I will try relisting! Hopefully that might help.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to find a sitter for December. Yes, it is several months away, but so far no one seems to be interested. I know we are not in an “exciting” place, but it can be very pleasant here in December. I have reached out to some past sitters as well as doing a “sitter search” but several folks have said it is too far away and others said they are already booked for that time period. I am now trying to find folks who live fairly close to home in the hopes that this will help me find someone. Someone on this chat suggested posting the link to my ad, but I’m not sure how to do that.

shirley (searching in CT)

Hi, same here in Ireland- we posted at quite short notice (4 weeks), had done the same last year and got 5 replies, this year got 2, one was not suitable, other one thankfully absolutely ideal and now confirmed and all set for next week. Was a bit nervewracking but you only need one good one! Have joined the forum partly in the hope of making connections and increasing the likelihood of more applications next time. Wondering is there any part of the forum where people who are interested in a particular country can chat and ask questions of residents? That would be a really good way to build potential connections.

3 Likes

Hi @ElEd we do have a Travel Talk Category, why don’t you open a topic and get the conversation started?

2 Likes

UK update! As from next week, UK will allow in Europeans and those from the US. However, Brits’ travel to Europe is still quite restricted (Austria will not let us in which causes me personal angst!) and the US also, will not let Brits across the pond.

Hi Angela if you look only about half of the homes include pics of the bedroom. I’m also a HO and did not see the recommendations you spoke of when I added my home

Hi again @LadyandtheTramp there is now an minimum of 5 images required before a new listing can go live, to include internal images. If an owner hasn’t included these a team member will make contact to help. We want all members to be successful and making the most of a home listing is where it starts.

This article from the website blog was created to help guide owners … How to choose the perfect pictures for your owner listing | TrustedHousesitters.com

I hope you find this interesting too

2 Likes

Thank you ! Great article. I think I miss a lot using the IPad app.

2 Likes

Sorry if I have to disagree.
As a HO I can advertise MONTHS ahead in normal times but not during this pandemic! How is anybody to know what will be in months to come?
Yes, I plan a vacation in July next year but before it’s not absolutely clear that I can travel would I post an ad and look for a sitter. And then it still depends on the situation if I would choose a local or someone from another country. So in the situation we’re in mor last minute (and 4 weeks ahead isn’t that last minute) are the new normal.
Let’s hope that this will change soon. However we’re not over the hill yet.

2 Likes

Hi Angela,
How do you re list your post? I can’t seem to figure it out🙈Do you have to delete the listing and start over or is there an easier way?

No I have updated some of my listing but it doesn’t go the 1st page

Hi @karinsangiorgio you don’t have to delete the whole listing just the dates, save and re-enter the applicable dates.

Ah thank you so much!