Length of Sitting

Hello we have introduced ourselves awhile ago. We have not joined as a member yet. There are few reasons. We are unsure if sitter would one to do a short length (14 days) plus it is near the Christmas holidays. We live in Ottawa and during this time of year it is getting cold. We saw most of the postings related to long term stay.

2 Likes

People post sits of any length - from one night to many months. In my opinion, two weeks wouldn’t be considered a “short” stay. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi @MiloKya
Post your sit now. Holidays are very popular and desirable. Length of stay is not really significant but two weeks over the holiday will be very appealing, especially to those that do enjoy the feel of winter.

2 Likes

Actually 2 weeks would be a normal length of stay, certainly here in the UK, and long stays are less common.

3 Likes

Within your listing, make note of things to do, both indoors and outdoors, unique to Ottawa and close by. And with respect to your home, highlight cozy and warmth features (i.e. fireplace, cozy comforters, in floor heating, hot tub/sauna, lots of hot water, games, streaming channels, etc.).

Read some nearby hotel and resort marketing blurbs to get some ideas for winter activities.

4 Likes

What about adding info on skating along the Rideau if it’s starts then? Also, isn’t there a x-country skiing/normal ski hill close to Ottawa?

Pre covid, I know heaps of Ausies n Kiws who flock to snow up north in our summer and love it. Also, people would be keen to sit where they family in the area.

Would love to apply but my family’s out west :heart:.

2 Likes

I have seen sits for even one night. Please put yourself on the list. Two weeks is a great time for a sit.

5 Likes

I have travel coming up which will last ~ 17 days. Should I create more than one stay, breaking the time up?

Not at all, many sitters prefer longer sits. Breaking up a sit of 17 days would likely be more hassle than it’s worth for both you and your sitters.

5 Likes

I guess it really depends on where you’re going, why you’re going, what there is to see and do in the place you’re going etc. We have 4 weeks in the UK and we’re splitting it up over 3 sits. We usually do sits that are 7-10 days but we’ve done 3 1/2 weeks in one place and had a lovely time.

3 Likes

Hi @vmaxhp you’ve had good advice and suggestions, 17 days is not excessively long many sitters prefer longer sits, it allows them to really bond with pets and enjoy the location, living like a local.

4 Likes

I myself, am looking to resume traveling overseas now that covid restrictions are lifting, and since I’m in the US I prefer longer sits. Normally a minimal of 14 days to be honest. I’m even looking at postings for 2 to 3 months at a time.

State side, should I try to do some pick up stay in between my work schedule, those I look for just a matter of days, but I’m trying to fit those into smaller breaks, when I’m not sailing with work, which are some really odd days.

I agree with what other’s have said though, I would give it a try for the full listing, otherwise unless you can return home between sitters for possible turn overs, I would just keep it as one.

3 Likes

you should be fine to post your sit. I have seen lots and lots of Ottawa sits for that length of time. Mention how close you are to shops, transport, trails. Mention the great museums and galleries, houses of Parliament etc. You would be surprised at the number of sitters who want to experience a winter sit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would test for one long stay first. Personally I don’t consider 17 days a long stay. Some of us are full time nomads and a 17 day sit would be considered on the short side :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, 17 days is not a particularly long time and inviting more than one set of sitters is likely to unsettle your pets

3 Likes

Over the Christmas period there are many listings for less time than that so I think your dates will be attractive to many sitters that want to ‘settle’ over the festive period.
However, this is the busiest time so I would advise posting your listing early to avoid the rush!

We have found two weeks is usually the optimum length of sit for us. Shorter, there isn’t enough time to bond with the animals and see everything in the area. Longer, my itchy feet start to itch and I want to move on to the next amazing place.
Go on, post it.
Elsie

2 Likes

If you wish to build up your reviews/feedback/experience definitely pick up shorter sits if you can manage them.
It is also good way to fill gaps when traveling and help some folks who just need a few days to do something needing done. Not every HO is looking for a holiday break, some just have life matters to tend to. It’s nice to be able to help when needed.

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve just started a sit in the UK that was posted as 2, 2 week sits. I applied for both dates as I was free to cover the whole month. I didnt ask the HO why they split the month but must have had their reasons.

1 Like

I think they are covering all bases in case they do not get any applications for the whole period. In these cases I think sitters that apply for all dates will go to the front of the queue

2 Likes