Listing requesting ID and running credit check?!

Just came across a listing where they are asking for ID so they can run a credit check. Admittedly it’s a beautiful home and all, but this seems so over the top and instrusive. Is it even allowed?

Not sure it’s against THS T&C’s but it would be a big fat no from me. In the UK a credit search could effect your ability to get credit as banks see too many searches on your file as a red flag. Not sure about other countries.

6 Likes

Seems to have missed the Trusted part of Trusted House Sitters - have you referred it to member services for their opinion ?

7 Likes

Hilarious. Right after that, you’ll need to submit a DNA sample and fingerprints.

3 Likes

No, but I will- thank you !

A hard credit inquiry also lowers your credit score in the US.

5 Likes

Can’t believe anyone would think a sitter would agree to this. I’m certainly not willing to have my credit score lowered, not to mention the risk of identify theft since they would need my social security number, all for the privilege of taking care of a stranger’s pets. I just wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

6 Likes

Not just “no” but “heck no”.

What do they think the background check (for US sitters) covers? Certainly more than these two items.

In addition to impact on credit, sending personal info on email is not secure and can place the sitter at risk for identity theft.

They need to hire a sitter. Not use THS.

4 Likes

I would NEVER do this sit. I hope any sitter asks to see the owner’s home insurance in case they fall in their home. And runs a criminal background check since they will be meeting the owner alone. And please verify that the owner left a credit card on file at the vet with at least $2.5k available credit and send a pic showing they have adequate pet food in the house so the sitter won’t be caught out of pocket. Sitters are also at risk in this TRUSTED relationship. Sheesh!

4 Likes

Completely over the top. I very much doubt they’ll get a single applicant with that attitude!

1 Like

Hello, @MojaveForever That’s one I have not heard before and does seem a strange request, maybe they are new to the site and not sure how things work? As @Silversitters mentioned reaching out to the Membership Services team as they can make sure the owner understands how everything works and help them further. Thank you for spotting this! :smiling_face:

4 Likes

This is the only proper response. Make them do it first.

Something along the lines of “Thanks so much for bringing up history, now let me see yours so I know if I want to continue”.

2 Likes

Many owners post unreasonable requirements or have unreasonable behaviour to a sitter on a sit but if there is enough demand for the sit they’ll get applicants and pick one that meets those requirements.
I don’t expect THS to do anything on this occasion as it doesn’t seem to breach anything to have this requirement that I can see. Perhaps they will get the owner to remove it from the listing but it will probably still demanded of anyone applying. At least it is up front so you know not to bother applying.

1 Like

Hello,

I started a housesit 3 days ago where I was asked my passport and my driver’s license once I got to the house (2 requested days prior to their departure). It felt weird but as a novice, I did not questionned it and gave both documents which were photographed. It is only now that I am reading some posts on this forum that I realise this is not right, especially once you already got to the house.

Apart from that I discovered other things upon arrival like their return was on December 29th while I was booked until January 1st (in case there is a delay in their flight).

Again as a novice, I thought I would be flexible to everything but actually no. I think it is wrong and I hope my message will be useful to other novices.

4 Likes

Really??
If you don’t trust a stranger in your house, just don’t have a stranger in your house. Such requirements are beyond ridiculous.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately you have encountered one of the many owners who should not be on the platform. As you have discovered demanding ID or any such demands after the sit has been agreed is a big no-no. It’s effectively under duress as your only option is to be confrontational and say no and walk away to a possibly huge hotel bill and travel costs. It’s why they do it that way it’s not an accidental oversight.
I would like to say I’m stunned that they told you on arrival that they would be back 2 days early but at this point in my sitting and forum journey I’m afraid it’s not unusual behaviour. Admittedly forums tend to attract a higher percentage of bad experiences than what the reality is but still there are so many now.
What did you tell them about arriving back early? What were there expectations or did they just drop it on you as if they don’t need you after the 29th?
My personal approach to this now would be to ask them to let me know what hotel they will be staying in until the 1st or will they be doing a little mini-vacation in the area.

1 Like

Concerning the date of their return, they just gave me the date and that was it. I did not react. Remember I am a beginner. I thought I would wait a few days before letting them know I will be leaving the day they return. I have no issue with hotel, I am happy to stay in my small camper van. It just stops me from having another sit because they might not agree to change the date of the end as those extra days are a security to them if anything happens with their flight.
This experience is very good for futur.

Not wanting to tell you how to run your sits but I can’t believe anyone would think it ok to have a sitter just hanging around for new years to find out if they have a place to stay for 2 days or not just to make it more convenient for them. If you are happy to leave on the 29th and looing for a new sit then I strongly suggest you message the owners and advise them you will leave on their newly informed return date. Ask them to please notify THS to adjust the dates of the sit as soon as possible. Add that you will be doing the same and contact THS (go to the chat function and tell the robot that you want to speak to a human) and get them to adjust the sit. Also please do tell them the owners demanded copies of ID on your arrival and that they always intended to return early and not on the date of the sit.
Go get your dates adjusted and go find a sit where you’re appreciated and not treated like a free employee. They do exist :slight_smile: I saw a sit starting the 29th posted today so lots of hopefully decent last-minute owners out there need help on the holidays.

4 Likes

They are fully taking the proverbial & it’s not on. Dates are fixed. Agreements are fixed. You leave when you say you will and you return when you all agree… Unless by prior arrangement. If they want to come back earlier then ask them to adjust the dates and you can find a new sit or do as you please. This is an exchange, hold your ground. #5050isthenameofthegame (hashtags rule
@mars :rofl:)

5 Likes

@Isabelle1 PLEASE include these facts in your review of the sit.

That’s the absolute best way to caution all future sitters, since the Forum is only a small percentage of the THS ecosystem.

8 Likes