Long-term cat care not in my home?

Just putting out some feelers for now to wonder if this is possible…I am looking after two cats for the next year because some friends have gone to New Zealand for a year. However we have discovered that my boyfriend is insanely allergic, it’s unbearable. I can’t surrender the cats because they’re not mine and the friends are expecting them back when they come home in a year’s time. Is it ever possible for people to cat sit with the cats being sent to live with them does anyone know? Any advice appreciated! I live in Glasgow by the way.

Not on THS @JenWren9 as it is free pet care in exchange for free accommodation so you’d have to leave your home & the cats, and let someone live there with them instead of you. Maybe a local FB group for pet sitting might be able to help? Or a friend of a friend? Or another friend of your buddies in NZ? Best of luck :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Welcome @JenWren9 This wouldn’t be possible through THS , but there will be paid for services in your area .
Which country are you in ?

May I suggest that you get your friends’ permission and involvement in moving the cats to a proper new home or even paying for that yourself? If something happens to them while in someone else’s care you dont want to be in the middle.

Can your boyfriend find another place for the time remaining?I am not sure what animal shelters are like in Scotland but here in the US “surrendering” them could put them in a low or high kill shelter. It would be better for the boyfriend to be rehomed temporarily. Just a word of caution. Good luck.

2 Likes

Ah thats a shame. I’m in Scotland, not sure who best to approach for long-term boarding really.

Does your friend have a back up plan in case an emergency had happened to you ?

You could try looking on rover.com - it’s a paid for service that offers boarding for cats and other pet care services.

2 Likes

@JenWren9 Welcome! So sorry to hear about your predicament. Allergies can be really bad. We fostered a cat for 13 months, and after a few weeks it became clear that I had to take anti-histamines for the foreseeable future, as I would get a mild-moderate reaction whenever I didn’t take the allergy pills. Perhaps try? Or can you isolate the cat / or the boyfriend to keep some rooms cat-free (or boyfriend-free)?

I would also suggest to ask friends of friends, or local Facebook groups. You can mention that you will pay for their food/de-worming meds etc. If you had to find paid care for nearly a year, that would cost a whole lot of money, I think. Perhaps target the facebook listing for someone who might consider getting a cat but are still on the fence, to see if it will work for them…or a family where they might want to ‘try’ their first pet - if the pets are easily adaptable.

It’s such a shame. You had the best intention, but sadly it’s not working out. But try allergy medication first! He’ll have to take it daily. That’s okay. You get very good stuff that doesn’t dry you out, e.g. fexofenadine or Loratidine - you can even get the pharmacy’s own brand, which makes it a bit cheaper than the fancy brands.

2 Likes

Antihistamines maybe? You can get strong ones from your GP. I have super strong ones from my GP for something else that I can, if ness, take up to 6 a day. Does your boyfriend plan on living at your sit with you? If not, maybe you visit him at his home?

3 Likes

@JenWren9 is your friends’ home sitting currently unoccupied? If yes, perhaps your friends should signup for THS and then get a petsitter for a year.

3 Likes

You know, I’ve just re read your post. The cats are living with you? You’re not house sitting? OMG, that’s a dilemma, however, if they were my cats I wouldn’t be happy with them being sent somewhere like a cattery. Maybe contact your friends parents? They may be able to offer a solution?

3 Likes

Hi Jen. This is a terrible situation. First, you need to reach out to your friends – the ones you are sitting for, and let them know. These aren’t your cats. Do NOT under any circumstances surrender them to a shelter. They could be killed or adopted out. Second, until you can do that, your boyfriend and you need to consult a doctor and try to figure out whether it is possible for him to live with the cats and the allergies. It might be. It can be done. I actually have a history of being allergic to cats, took shots for years, found a medication I can safely take daily to prevent any cat related asthma and now live with multiple cats and sit for them. Not saying this is easy or the choice, but it might make sense at least temporarily. You can start by keeping the cats out of the room where he sleeps, getting air filters, and having him take over-the-counter anti-histimines. This might not be a great long term plan, but it gets you through the next couple of weeks while you and your friends try to work out another arrangement. Third, until this can be worked out, is there any place your boyfriend can stay temporarily? I know that’s not what he signed up for, but once you agreed to board your friend’s cats, you took on a responsibility.

3 Likes

In the US, there is a cat food called Purina Live Clear that apparently works wonders to reduce allergens. Maybe you can find something similar.

1 Like

I wouldn’t do anything with those cats without consulting the pet owners. It’s not your place to unilaterally decide to hand them off to someone else, regardless of how allergic your boyfriend is.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone! Don’t worry I would never give them away to a shelter - I didn’t know some put them down though I hope that’s not a thing in the UK! We’ll persevere for now with a lot of drugs and grooming and breaks for the boyfriend at his brother’s flat. And I’ll start a savings accounts for some cat sitting breaks to keep him sweet :rofl: thanks everyone!

And do try Purina Live Clear, as @Lassie suggested. I’ve sat for PP’s who swear by it.

1 Like

First thing I would do is talk to you friends in New Zealand.
Im confused; are you a THS?
Maybe suggest your friend’s join THS and put an advert out for a sitter.

It absolutely is a thing. Also likely is that they would be separately adopted out, as it’s easier to find homes for solo kitties.

It sounds as though they’re spending a year in NZ and do not have a home.