Longterm Petsitting in NZ

Hi there, we have a lovely lab cross, some chooks and a bunny and are leaving for Spain in a few months. We had planned to take the dog with us but it is just not possible coming from NZ. We live in Wellington in the city, near the beach and would be looking for a pet-sitter for up to 7months. Could be more than one but too many would be difficult to organise from afar. Has anyone had or heard of such long term sits?
I am trying to decide if this is better for pooch than her staying with friends. My main concern is said friends’ children would struggle to give her back which is fair enough. 7 months and they are part of the family!
My boys are gutted we can’t take her with us but there are no airlines flying pets from NZ to Spain at the moment so it is simply not an option. The house has 4 beds and is in a great place for a family. Just not sure of the chances of finding someone that this would suit that matches our dates. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

4 Likes

Hi @Haraslou99,

Welcome to THS and to the forum. I can assure you that there are MANY many sitters that would jump at this opportunity! Especially in NZ, such a desirable location. We had a sit last year that was nearly a year long…you can read more here

I would be gutted too if I had to leave our dog for that long but rest assured I think you’ll be able to find some great options to care for your dog while you’re away in Spain. I would recommend getting your profile up ASAP and reading up on how to get it to attract sitters. Adding your profile URL here to your forum profile will also allow other members to offer advice on your listing.

4 Likes

Hi @Haraslou99 - Long sits are always popular so I am sure you will have no problem finding someone to take care of your dog and home whilst you are away.

Unfortunately, 6 months is the limit visa allowance for some travelling sitters but I am sure that there will be enough interest from sitters coming from places able to do the whole seven months that I don’t think you will have to split between two or more sets of sitters. Good Luck!

2 Likes

I think you would be able to find someone for a 7 month stay. I’m in the middle of a 3 month, 4 sit stay in NZ. Visitor visas can last for up to 9 months and if I wasn’t already here and booked elsewhere through the end of the year, I would have loved to apply for your sit.
We loved our visits to Wellington. I think I figured out where the name for the rugby team, Hurricanes comes from! Lol.
Dan and Nan

1 Like

I at least would definitely seek something like this out.

From my mid 20s nomadic we lived in Lyal Bay and would love to go back to the area.

1 Like

Depending on when this was happening, my husband and I would jump on this type of sit! We have experience with all of those animals, and we also have the freedom to travel for that length of time!

Post it! And then let me know that you’ve done that so I can apply🙂

3 Likes

Yes, please do let us all know once you’ve posted your listing! That is something my partner and I would be very much interested in doing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Haraslou99, I don’t think you will have any problems geting a sitter. I myself may be intererested depending when it is, price of flights and if possible to get a visa foe longer than six months? I have visited Wellington a couple of times, but a few years back now so know my way arounbd a little. Good luck.

We are heading to NZ this winter but are looking for shorter sits as we want to see the whole country and only have 3 months to stay.
I’m sure there will be people who would love the opportunity to sample your beautiful country for seven months but you’ll only find them if you try. Good luck and enjoy Spain.

1 Like

Thanks all for your feedback. It has been very helpful. I have posted it on an NZ house-sitting site on someone’s advice and had lots of responses. I hadn’t thought about the visa situation. It is great to know there are so many keen sitters out there and we would definitely consider signing up to this site in the future to do our own sits maybe!

1 Like