Looking for an occasional co-sitter – companionship & shared adventures

Hello,

I’ve been a TrustedHousesitters sitter since 2021 and have enjoyed a lovely variety of sits, both in the UK and abroad. My husband used to join me, but these days I’m more likely to sit on my own.

I’m very happy travelling and sitting independently, but one of the reasons I’ve joined the forum is that I’d love to connect with other solo sitters who might occasionally be interested in sharing a suitable sit.

Sometimes it might simply be a sit with dogs where having two sitters would make things a little easier and give us both more freedom. At other times, particularly somewhere further afield, it would be just as much about sharing the experience, exploring a new place together, enjoying the occasional meal or day out, as well as sharing the pet-care responsibilities.

I’m quite independent and enjoy my own space​:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: we’d each have our own bedroom and be perfectly comfortable doing our own thing, while also enjoying each other’s company when we felt like it.

For me, it would be a nice balance of companionship, shared experiences, shared responsibility and independence.

I live in Tenerife and enjoy travelling, and there are still plenty of places I’d like to discover Slovenia is rather high on my list at the moment!

It would be lovely to get to know the community and perhaps connect with anyone who feels a similar arrangement might suit them too. :sun:

I have thought about doing something similar, but with an existing friend or relative, not a stranger. It is a good idea!

For example, my husband has no interest in going to certain countries, but I do!! So I have thought about getting a friend to join THS, and we can both apply to a suitable sit and explain our situation.

It makes a lot of sense, but it might be difficult to find a complete stranger to jump in and do this with you.

Curious which countries you’re interested in that your husband isn’t.

I’m much more interested in travel than my husband and, if I didn’t make plans, I don’t know that he’d travel much. Like I had always wanted to visit the then-Soviet Union/Russia, and he said he didn’t understand why. Then the third day we were there, he asked when we’d be returning, because it was amazing.

Unfortunately, with what’s unfolded since, we might not return. I’m so glad we did then.

If I can’t get my husband to go, I just go solo or with a friend.

That’s a fun idea! I also sometimes sit without my husband; for those sits I only take care of cats.

You also might be interested in joining the FB group Host a Sister, or Host a Sister-over 50 if applicable.

Hi @elainecabezo,

Welcome to the forum.

It’s an interesting idea but I agree

Also, I guess the pool of hosts willing to invite two people who don’t have a previous connection would be quite limited.

@elainecabezo

The main issue I would see with two sitter members teaming up is that only one sitter can confirm the sit and only that sitter gets the review. You and the fellow sitter would have to agree on who gets the review.

It is different if you just invite a friend to join you on a particular sit, with full permission of the host ofcourse. The best way to do this is to add some pics and a brief intro to the friend on your profile so that when you apply for a sit they do not appear as a stranger to potential hosts.

It also complicates things for the host(s), because if something goes wrong, who’s held responsible?

It’s a great idea, I know we get a lot of sits because we are in a couple, so it opens up new possibilities than sitting alone. You’d probably need to do two together, so you can each get a review in return.

I would aasume the confirmed sitter is the overall responsible one, same as if they just invite a friend or any other unofficial co sitter.

Yes. I could be open to exploring such an arrangement. I have done solo sitting for the past four plus years and would really appreciate some company from time to time. On one occasion, I overlapped for two days with another sitter and really enjoyed it. On a few other occasions, I had a friend visit me for a few days, which I liked, though I found it a bit uncomfortable having to ask the host for permission (or a favor).

Some sits require two people, and some hosts even allow you to bring a friend. Such an arrangement could work for me, provided the other sitter and I are a good match. In fact, as I see it, that is the only potential issue.

p.s. A couple of years ago a THS member and I decided to travel together. It didn´t work.

@august Thank you :folded_hands: I think you’ve understood exactly what I had in mind. For me, it really isn’t about reviews or who gets what from a particular sit. That side of it isn’t important to me.

It’s just about occasionally sharing the experience with another independent, like-minded person who loves animals, shared companionship & experiences while also sharing some of the responsibility, but still each having our own space and independence.

Of course, get to know each other first and make sure the homeowner is completely happy with the arrangement. Beyond that, I don’t think we can anticipate every “what if” or everything that could or couldn’t happen. Life is life!

For me, the idea came from the heart and is really no more complicated than that. :sun:

Unfortunately, I think that would work in theory better than in practice, given that some folks aren’t reliable. But you wouldn’t find that out till things unfold.

I’m glad you’re on the same page. This is the type of arrangement that I am not willing to commit to but I am really happy to see that other people are. It shows a positive attitude that I appreciate.

That’s true. House sitting itself has, at some point, that kind of component; it requires a dose of trust on both sides.

This is IMHO a key element. In fact, being both experienced sitters could make things easier than sitting with a friend who has no sitting experience if the match is right.

Good luck and keep us posted if you do go ahead with the project.

Why so much negativity? Some people are one way, while others are another. So what? It does not mean they cannot do things together. That is simply how things are, and theory is not worth much until it is tested in practice

Each of us assesses risk differently, based on different life experiences and observations, and that’s perfectly legit. We’re also all entitled to our own opinions, priorities and preferences. Personally, I’m good with independence and without the unnecessary complications, but you do you. And hosts can decide for themselves individually as well.

@elainecabezo in all honesty, while it sounds good in theory as solo sitting can get lonely at times, I can’t imagine anything worse than sharing a sit with a complete stranger. So many things could go wrong. A better option would be where neighbours go on holiday together and both need sitters.

Are you familiar with the FB group ‘Host A Sister’? It’s quite a large group where women can connect with others while travelling - meeting up with locals or other fellow travellers, finding or providing free accommodation, and so on. I haven’t used it myself, but it looks like a very active and welcoming community. It might be a good way of meeting new people on your travels without having to commit to a shared sit, or perhaps you might find some people keen on that too.

It appears that women are the only ones commenting on this thread. Would co-ed work for plutonic co-sitting, or could that lead THS becoming a dating service?

How about men? My wife doesn’t want to join me for all sits, but I do like having company. So, I can definitely see the benefits. You would have someone to do things with and also, either person could go explore while the other watches the animal(s). Of course, compatibility would be an issue, but in reality, don’t we all sometimes have that problem with our spouses and friends?

Anyway, I kind of like the idea, but I don’t know if enough men would consider it.

Hope you find success.

Hi Elaine,

I would be interested in exploring this idea with you! I’m in the U.S. but perhaps we could talk further and have a video call at some point. I’m just getting started as a sitter and so there are LOTS of places I’d like to visit. I wouldn’t be able to do anything until the spring, as I have a couple of sits lined up this fall and some other obligations this winter.
-Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, thank you for your lovely message. :blush: I was really pleased to hear from you, as I think you understood exactly what I had in mind. I’d be very happy to keep in touch and perhaps have a video chat sometime. There’s absolutely no rush, spring would suit me well too, and it would simply be nice to connect :sun:
Elaine