New Home Owner on the Mendocino Coast

Hi! I’m Beth, a massage therapist in Fort Bragg, California, on the Mendocino Coast. I’m new here and looking for tips on getting the most out of this site. My dog is an 11 year old Italian Greyhound named Niles. He’s slowed down a lot in recent years, so leaving him home when I travel seems the kindest thing to do for him. I look forward to hearing from y’all.

12 Likes

Hello @IvysmomBeth and a warm welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Such a lovely photo of Niles, thank you for sharing. I just had a peruse of your listing and it looks great, and in such a beautiful location, I am sure you will get many great applicants :dog:

I have attached a link to help you prepare for your sitter and a thread of potential questions to ask your potential sitters below that you should find helpful

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

I have attached a thread below, it would be great if you could join in with this as we think you could offer great feedback and would be a great addition :blush:

@IvysmomBeth hello and welcome to the forum. You will find a great group of like minded pet lovers here who really want to see you succeed in this great journey. We all love our pets and want to see them have happy lives like us and TrustedHousesitters helps give us all that, whether we are pet parents or sitters.

Niles is absolutely handsome and stately and I personally would love the chance to care for him at some point in time…just need to find a way to get out there during a time you need assistance.

Where are you planning to travel? We love to share all our adventures here on the forum with lots of pics and ideas on where to visit next.

One way to get even more exposure with our members is to link your member profile to your forum profile. This way, it’s really easy for other members to reach out and connect. To do so, just click How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile - Welcome & Getting Started - TrustedHousesitters Community Forum and follow the easy instructions.

Good luck and I hope we hear from you again soon!

Hi @IvysmomBeth ! I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Your wisteria is just beautiful! and your little Niles is absolutely adorable!

@Samox24 sent you lots of good reading material.

You have the all important pictures sitters look for. I think you should remove the part about Niles being a pain ___. You say it lovingly but people who don’t know him won’t know how to take it. Maybe include in your description a little more about his temperament. Do as they tell writers to do: show don’t tell. You wisely made it clear that sitters must be comfortable having Niles in the bed with them. How long can sitters leave Niles alone? And since there is no public transportation near your home, if there is any way you could make a car available it would widen your selection of sitters.

I hope you enjoy reading and participating in the forum. It’s a wonderful resource.

1 Like

I am currently on a THS sit just down the road in Mendocino and absolutely loving it. I think you’ll get great applicants if you talk up the beauty of this place and the great recreation opportunities. I was very thankful the owners were able to offer me use of their vehicle as I came from another state. Not sure if that’s possible for you, but it will certainly be enticing to potential sitters. Best of luck.!

2 Likes

@IvysmomBeth well Niles looks extremely cute and your home and the area looks and sounds lovely. In addition to the other questions asked if you’re not able to leave a car for the sitters how far are you from the nearest amenities, such as supermarket, post office, cinema and, most importantly, the vet?

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’m curious how you made your way to the coast. Public transportation is such a problem here. If you found a reliable way, I’d love to share that. I do have a car available.
Thanks,
Beth

1 Like

It happened to just work out perfect that I was able to fly into SFO the same day the owners were flying out and so I met them there and took their car north, and will do the same on the way back. It was perfect because they had an adult son nearby that was able to show me the house upon my arrival and they left me a very thorough guide to everything so it was all very seamless.

3 Likes

I live down the coast from you and my advice is don’t hesitate to accept and even encourage “local” sitters (Bay Area, Sac, etc). The lack of access throughout the area is a bit of a hindrance, though it can work. Having a local-ish sitter who can drive to Mendo simplifies things.

2 Likes

Very cool! That must’ve been an adventure finding your way to the coast from SFO! Beautiful and winding, eh??

I have friend’s in Fort Bragg, it is such an amazingly beautiful part of the world, of courses I’m biased being a native Californian and from the bay area. There’s no doubt your listing will draw a lot of potential sitters. And a heads-up I’ve used public transportation in the past to get there as there’s the Mendocino trsnsit from Santa Rosa in Sonoma county. It’s a bit of a haul, but it is possible without wheels. Btw, your pup is absolutely precious :purple_heart::star2::paw_prints:

3 Likes

Hi Pet Parents and Sitters,
I found the organization when I asked a friend to sit for our cat, Smokey. The first woman who replied sounded perfect, good recommendations and she was already in the Bay Area. Sitting for a loving, calm, cat is very different, but who won’t want to go to Mendocino? Explore the galleries, take the Skunk Train, and drive to Navarro for the perfect dry Gewürztraminer and great Pinot Noir. I’ve taken the bus from Santa Rosa. Talk-up Mendo!

1 Like

Welcome! Niles sounds like a VeryGoodBoy™ and this sounds like a great sit. I’d jump on it if I were already in the area, but as I’m in Southern Middle TN it would either mean around 37hrs of just driving, or a $600’ish flight to get close to, but not all the way, to your place.

Believe me, I know what it’s like: it’s 90 mins to the airport from my remote rural house! And there’s no public transportation here at all.

1 Like

Welcome! Hope you find great sitters for Niles whenever you travel. Feel free to ask Qs. Folks on the forum are very helpful.

Your part of the world is gorgeous, including the winding drive through all those beautiful trees. I last visited while living in the Bay Area a few years ago.

1 Like