New to this, and lots of questions!

@Angela_L. Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience, and I certainly hear what you are saying. I looked through some of the other owners listings with pets, and think I would truly feel blessed to go and experience a new geographical area, looking after these gorgeous animals, and really it wouldn’t bother me if they asked for a contribution towards utilities. I am also gaining from this situation. I suppose sitters that can’t see both sides of the coin, wouldn’t be a match for me anyway, and that’s ok :grinning:

@MaloryTowers I’ve mentioned this on other threads, but will mention it again here. We are currently on a 5 month house sit in a gorgeous home with no pets. It’s winter here in Australia and quite chilly, particularly at night. We’ve sat for this HO before and she is extremely frugal when it comes to energy usage. While we are very mindful of our consumption, we want to be comfortable without worry and guilt. We offered to contribute to the monthly cost of utilities, came up with a fair amount and all is good!

We are also providing security for her home and maintaining her pool and garden. We still look at it as an exchange and not free accommodation.

You have to do what’s right for you and I think its perfectly appropriate to list this in your add. Some will object, some won’t, some will apply, some will scroll on by. All the best to you in your search.

3 Likes

Hi @anon1411559 - the issue with the UK at the moment is that utility bills have increased, with another rise later on in the year. So there is a potential for any household that is not careful, to have really big bills. I think that seems a very fair way that you and the owner are doing things, that’s great. I originally came on this site to look at it from an owner’s perspective. But I’ve now found myself looking through the listings wanting sitters, and being a huge dog lover, I could see myself potentially being a sitter as I also love exploring new areas. So I would have no issue contributing to the utilities, because I am also gaining something from this experience. I think it would be a different story if it was a high maintenance sit, and there was a lot of tasks to be done everyday. But for me, having a sitter in my home, they would definitely have to be the right fit. That has become more than apparent with just being on this site for a few days.

4 Likes

Totally agree - the name is misleading.
Sits without pets are rare.

1 Like

I’m just wondering. If I were willing to spend four months house sitting for you, would you be willing to contribute to my airfare?

3 Likes

I like you already.

1 Like

Yes we all have the natural tendencies to assess from our point of view. We have to really make effort to see the other person’s position. Everything is going up and mostly will continue to do so with some waves and fluctuations according to the global economic climate. The cost of travel, be that by coach, rail, plane or auto, have been impacted making sitters also have to assess the practicality of doing a sit in a particular place.
We have to adapt and have some good conversations, not only with perspective sitters/Hos but with ourselves to determine what is reasonable and feasible. There is not going to ever be a blanket no or yes but there will be those who will happily find those that are the right match in what each is willing to do.
One of the best things I came to understand in my career in healthcare and apply to nearly every decision I make in every facet of life is Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
Then the right choice becomes evident after those crucial conversations and considerations of all involved.

4 Likes

I suppose I just want to point out that I am new to this - I asked the question and do welcome everyone’s view points. But I have been quite disappointed by the way some people talk to other’s on here. Not necessarily in answering my question, but when I have read through other postings.

I will just explain again that due to the huge increase in utility bills in the UK, It would be highly possible for me to leave my home with a sitter for four months, and then end up having huge bills. I know it has been pointed out to me that most sitters are mindful, but I would think that not all are.

My home is a lovely home, in a stunning area of Scotland and the only thing that would need done is pulling a few weeds. So as I have said before, paying a little towards utilities, I don’t think is a big ask. I accept that not all agree, and that is fine.

So the answer to you @TwoDrifters is no I wouldn’t be contributing to your air fare, as by your question, I know already we would not be a good match.

I have now decided that I am not going to have a house sitter. I will go back to my original plan of having friends and family pop in. It’s going to be much easier.

1 Like

@Angela_L Can I also request that this topic be closed, thank you.

@MaloryTowers I have taken the liberty of closing your topic now on behalf of @Angela_L

1 Like

Hi @MaloryTowers I have sent you a Direct Message …