No sitter applications for our listing šŸ˜¢

Thank you, I hadnā€™t really thought about this but please see my full reply to Botvot above. If I was to offer my car would it be reasonable to ask the sitter to contribute towards the extra cost of insurance, in your opinion?

Ok thank you for this honest feedback. Leaving my car is not something Iā€™d really thought about, but I guess if the sitter was able to arrange temporary insurance on the vehicle Iā€™d be happy to do this. Would it be reasonable to expect the sitter to cover some of the cost of this though, do you think?

Hi @LauraB16 , Sorry, I forgot I said a couple ! -
I was thinking that it seems you are A- Only looking for sitters that have a car, which immediately cancels out a large percentage of the sitting community and B- From those that do have a car you want them to use their car to transport your pet which will reduce the number of sitters available even further. Some sitters wonā€™t want animals in their cars and those that are using hire cars will usually have a clause forbidding animals.

6 Likes

Ok thanks for this. That was definitely not my intention as we are well served by public transport here, so have mentioned this in my listing as well. If that is not how it comes across though I will edit it to be a little clearer.
In your opinion, if I was to offer use of my car would it be reasonable to expect the sitter to contribute towards the cost of the additional insurance?
Thanks again.

1 Like

I think it is reasonable to ask a sitter to contribute towards insurance if they are using your car during their stay. Normally, I would be happy to pay whatever it costs to add me to the insurance but in your case, as the main reason for needing your car is to take your pet out then I think a per cent of the extra cost seems more appropriate.

3 Likes

Definitely add to your listing that he is good going to a pub, so at least a sitter could get a bite to eat out with your dog.

Thank you again for this, much appreciated. Weā€™re complete newbies so any advice is welcomed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve already added that in, I thought that was important info :wink:

Hi @LauraB16 again, this is my brutal honesty, but you asked, and you said youā€™re learning, so you should be open to my explanation: when you agree to sitters using your car, mainly to take your dog with them as he canā€™t be left alone, then that is really a deal-sweetener. The sweetener being you offering to carry the extra cost of insurance.

Remember: your housesit needs to offer both parties something of equal value, so that both of you feel like you are getting a fair deal. You are after a free pet and housesitter. Ask yourself: what does the sitter get? Why would a sitter choose to sit for you at no cost? The sit is quite intensive with Chester not being able to be left by himself, so why would sitters choose this? Bringing in a deal-sweetener would be offering a car, so that sitters can explore, as well as minding Chester the whole time.

5 Likes

PS. There are all kinds of deal-sweeteners for housesits that are a bit skewed towards the home owner getting more than the sitter. I am not talking cash, per se, although vouchers, hampers or food is always nice. I am talking about allowing sitters to have friends or family over, or the use of your car, or arranging someone to come and pick Chester up 2-3 times a week, so that the sitters can go out and explore a bit, if you donā€™t want to leave your carā€¦really, put yourself in the sitters shoes and see if you might understand better the fair value exchange Iā€™m referring to. When you are generous, your sitters tend to be very generous and give Chester and your home extra love!

7 Likes

We have a car (when sitting in UK or or on the continent) but never take dogs in it- a) because when on the road we live out of the car and donā€™t want to fully unload it -especially on short sits and b) we donā€™t want it full of dog hair which is so hard to get out. We generally choose sits where dogs can be walked from the front door. On one sit (where we ended up sitting 3 times over the summer) we discovered- on arrival- that we were expected to drive the (two large dogs) 10 minutes to the nearest walking place. This had not come up in the video callā€¦awkward moment! Fortunately the owners immediately offered use of one of their cars for the purpose and put me straight on the insurance. They did not ask for a contribution- as driving the dogs was their need not ours -and they also made sure there was sufficient petrol. We used their car on all 3 sits but only for the dog walks. For all other purposes we used our own car.
I would suggest this as an arrangement you could consider offering too- (if you are comfortable to loan your car) to encourage a sitter. As others have said only being able to leave your dog for 30 minutes is too big an ask for most sitters so they need an incentive to make it worthwhile- a sitter should not be out of pocket (extra fuel costs) or inconvenienced (dog hair etc) if they agree to take your dog everywhere with them.
I donā€™t want to sound blunt but separation anxiety= high maintenance and some may feel the exchange is unequal unless you can balance it a bit!

5 Likes

Just as an FYI: I am on a sit where the HO left a car so I could take their dogs out, but I had to buy short term insurance to use it for the 2.5 weeks. As Iā€™m not a UK resident, there were few companies who would provide this. I got two quotes - one for 250 pounds and the other, which I took, for 174 pounds. They did not offer to help with this and I did not ask, but it took an unexpectedly big bite out of my budget.

2 Likes

As a home owner I find it appalling that you were not offered financial help with the insurance. I usually take my car but if I left it in order for the sitters to use for the dogs I would pay the additional insurance in order for that to happen.

9 Likes

I would not have agreed to proceed with the sit under those circumstances & find it really off that they did not pay for the insurance- or at least offer to share the cost (if you were using the car for other purposes too)

We were recently offered a sit in a location where we usually drive only a scooter. The HO wanted us to use her car to take her 3 dogs to the beach and other walking areas, and basically take them everywhere else we might go too- in the car (none if this was mentioned in the listing) She then said weā€™d need to organise the insurance for ourselves and weā€™d be liable for any & all damages- so as not to affect her own policy! Erā€¦No thanks! We declined that sit immediately.

6 Likes

Honestly I am shocked at the lack of consideration for what you are asking of a VOLUNTEER pet sitter. This is absolutely one of those situations where you should pay someone.
What is the sitter getting in return here? On top of that you want them to foot the bill for extra insurance to drive your own dog around that cannot be left alone for longer than 30 minutes :open_mouth:
How is the sitter expected to even pop to the supermarket to get food?

1 Like

Seems a little harsh @enjaybee! I am new here and simply asked if it would be reasonable to ask the sitter to share some of the cost. I also stated that we have various friends and family who would be willing to look after him during the day by prior arrangement.
As it happens we have since received 4 applications all from lovely people who would like to come and sit for us, so seems some people are happy to stay at home, or take our pup along with them.

1 Like

Hi, I have just had a fabulous first experience of really good sitters, after recently joining the organisation. I have another holiday coming up in 2 weeks time and still no offers. Iā€™m starting to get really worried. Any advice?

1 Like

Hello there @jayneintheforest , your listing looks cute as does Charlie. The sitters need a car thing is a long debate on here as itā€™s costly now to hire especially if youā€™re an international sitter. Is it essential or could they manage without? Is it only for a single sitter (the bed pic looks small) as be good to specify that if so as rules out all couples on here. Some other things Iā€™d like to read would be how long can Charlie be left alone? Whatā€™s his feeding routine? Any meds? (As you say heā€™s anxious) Iā€™d also like to know what there is to do and see near you thatā€™s interesting and will attract more sitters. Hope those tips help & good luck, I can also see one sitter has applied now which is good. Maybe change the title to ā€œTake care of Charlie & relax in the beautiful Wyre Forestā€ or similar as more engaging when sitters are skimming through listings :+1:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great your first experience leaving Charlie with sitters was a success @jayneintheforest. Youā€™ve given those sitters a great review but they havenā€™t given you feedback yet which is really important to help you get future sitters. Make sure you request feedback from them.
You already have one applicant for your current dates which is good.

3 Likes

Hi

I am new to Trusted House Sitters and created my first request for a sitter for a few days at the end of July. I have had no applications or questions yet and starting to get concerned no one will sit for us.

I know I still have a few weeks left, do I just need to be patient or should I be advertising somewhere else?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks