One day sits

There are so many one-day sits and I am wondering what people’s experiences are with this. I really do not understand it, as it seems so complicated to travel anywhere and take on the responsibility for only one day. I am wondering, are there people out there that look for one-day sits? And what is your experience? I am more curious than anything.

Hi @SunshineAndAloha. Are these sits that include one night, so say arrive on Sat. and leave on Sun? When I first started sitting I looked for local weekend-only sits while I worked in an office during the week. That way I was able to get quite a few reviews fairly quickly.

4 Likes

We’ve only once done a 1 night sit and only because it popped up at the last minute and conveniently filled a gap we had. The before and after sits were not far away so it saved an overnight cost and got us another 5* review to boot!

4 Likes

@Lokstar a convenient and quick 5* review, no need to pay for a night’s accommodation, and in 24 hours or less you barely have time to unpack or get the place dirty, so clean/pack/leave is quick and easy! Good for you. :smile:

I’ve done it twice for the same HO and would do it again if the circumstances were right. This was a gorgeous house less than an hour from where I live, delightful dogs that I wasn’t supposed to walk, in an area with terrific restaurants, bakeries, shops, movie theaters, etc. And the HO had a cleaning person so I didn’t need to do any laundry or cleaning. Basically it was 30 hours of high quality “me” time with awesome pup snuggles thrown in.

4 Likes

We did it once as we thought we may want to do longer ones at the same sit in the future. Although the HOs were great, the dog was too boisterous, the photo of the house was cleverly done so it was much smaller than we thought. The bedroom had no door on so both cats came to sleep with us which is a big no no for us. (This was actually freaky as the cats had the same names as Mr Itchyfeet’s decd parents and we thought they were watching over us!)
We were told where we could walk the dog but got told off by a landowner as we were on private land.
So maybe it is a good way to find out what the sitting is really like in case you want to go in the future.
We didn’t !!

2 Likes

We did it once in Switzerland🇨🇭where hotels are expensive & we had a gap as we drove into Germany. A beautiful 24 hours in Basel with a cute yorkie called Wally in a stylish flat. It worked perfectly but only that one time. We left our bags in the car and just took a daypack.

3 Likes

Are you referring to just single day sits with no overnight stay @SunshineAndAloha as these do get advertised but are against THS T & C and need reporting?

3 Likes

I used to help out a local family with repeating short sits. They had 2 elderly dogs and the couple just bought an older boat which was moored about 1-2 hours from their home. So, if the weather permitted, they would be gone for 1-2 days, sailing. I got to experience another side of town and they had tonnes of interesting books, so I was happy to just hang out there. They always left some beer and/or $10 for petrol and it worked for us.

2 Likes

We haven’t ever taken such a short sit (I think 3 nights was the shortest we’ve done). If it happened to fit in between two other sits, maybe.

I have seen a few lately and at first thought it was odd, but after thinking about it, I felt it was genius! We would jump on a one night sit in a heartbeat if it worked for us while traveling from one sit to another. It’s a great way to help out a homeowner/pp/pet, while at the same time saving one nights lodging (which could be upwards of $150 most any time).

We have done one, a repeat sit for a scrumptious doggie so that pp’s could head to a nearby city for an early morning doctors appointment.
Now we’d welcome some short in between sits if they came up whilst we’re travelling in UK - simply to save on expensive one nighters in hotels. We’ll see how we go filling in spaces :blush:

1 Like

I’ve never done one, but for a short stay in a nearby city I’d do it. As someone else said, it’s like going away for a weekend.

I’ve done a few and @Peonie19 you’re right it is like having a short break with “pet fix” included :dog: :cat: :horse: :wink: