Out of the "Norm"/Altered Appearances - Opinions

That is Awesome! I would love to see and hear some of the stories behind them. I have a 3 tattoos myself, however they are all hidden, as I had gotten they while working in customer service, so I had to be able to hide or it would have effected me at work. My coworkers where I work now, where shocked to learn I had any. I love them, and I’m always trying to come up with what will be next.

This makes my heart happy to be honest. I wasn’t taken so warmly by mainly my extended family when I went through my goth phase in high school, however it never stopped me from doing it. So when I hear of painting doing thing like this, and really makes me happy. :heart: It also makes me so happy to hear none has had a major effect on find sits either. Have noticed a bit of an older crowd, I wasn’t sure if I would be as widely accepted, but figured why not try anyways. People will either accept me as me, or they won’t. Life goes on, and it’s also to short to stress over what others think.

2 Likes

I love it all, everything you said. If I wasn’t on time out for too many likes. I would love all of these post as much as I could. The more I see of this community, the more I’m truly excited to be part of as well. Thank you for all the kind words, and keep on keeping on with those high heels, as I like to do the same some times. Wearing steel toes all the time does get old.

:heart:

3 Likes

Hi Tom,
Actually as a fellow sitter, you opinion is equally as important to me as well. I enjoy seeing what both sides think when it comes to things like this. I have heard that saying at home before too. :slight_smile: And Thank you, I just try to do things that make things easier for hotel housekeeping, or Airbnb, as sometimes turn over is right after I check out. I more or less just consider it common courtesy to be honest. I don’t fault or hold it against anyone that might not do it, but that’s just how I am.

I love my job, it allows me to work with my hands, and not sit at a desk 12 hours out of a day, I also get to see all kinds of neat places and things in my travel. The science that is done on the ship is the most exciting part to me. As for your friend, I have not crossed paths with him yet, however there is always a chance. This isn’t a huge next work, so there is always a chance.

That’s Cool, there is a chance that I may have known here. I have known 2 women that were Public Health Officers in the NOAA Corp. I’m actually not in the the NOAA corp, just a Merchant Mariner that helps keep the ship running. I still love what I do though.

Also never a need to apologize, as you can see I love to chat, and type. My hours can just be odd due to work. Right now I’m working 1200 to 0000, but that will change in a few days when we get back to our home port. My messages are always open if you want to chat on forum, or PM. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your input :heart:

2 Likes

@BlueDiamondRose I just have one word for you, one I don’t use too often either … AWESOME

The generosity of spirit you’ve shown in taking the time to acknowledge and thank everyone in this conversation is inspirational and really quite moving.

Louboutin heels - my fav kind, although not for walking the dog :dog: :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I love you’re line there about not being categorized, I will have to remember this for references later, as I feel that is how I want to live. I too have many scars inside and out. As as I have aged, you may not be able to really see them, they are still there, as lessons learned, and shares a tale of how I became, the person I am today.

Oh the greys are something I’m just not ready to except yet myself. Having been lucky, and taken after my father, I didn’t really start getting a greys a few years ago, but since I have hit 40, they are coming out of the wood work now, and I don’t like it. :rofl: , so the dye is here for a bit, but this is just me. I think grey looks amazing on some people, and past hair stylist like to remind me people pay to have grey in the spots I have. Like I told her, good for them, I don’t want it on me. There will come a day I’m ok with it, but today is not that day. :rofl:

I could not agree with you more. :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Awe thank you :blush: Honestly It’s nothing, just a sign of respect. If someone can take the time to respond to me, I can take a moment to do that as well. I really do appreciate those that have and I hope they know it. I also look forward to any new ones as well :heart:

:rofl: There are brave souls out there that do walk their pups in them. I sure couldn’t do it. :rofl:

By the way, English is my only language, however even some of my spelling and grammar mistakes in responses is like woah. Sorry all :woman_facepalming: I can’t help it though, sometimes my fingers get going so fast when I’m typing, I don’t realize I did it. I really should reread before I post. :oops:

2 Likes

What is normal anyway?? Being confident in your skin and the way you look is far more important to give confidence to an owner who is going to leave their home and beloved pet with you. Be you!

3 Likes

Totally agree about having tatts hidden, especially for young people. My son wanted one, so I designed one for him but said that he needed to have it where he could cover it with a sleeve, after all at nineteen you can never tell where life is going to take you…I on three other hand was in my late forties when I had my first one and I was confident in whatever was going to happen I could deal with it, (never imagined at the time how completely my life would change as it happened!) And my tatts haved never caused me any problems and I tend to forget about them til someone mentions them, and because they are all my own designs I like to be able to see them… I will attach pictures of my hands…:wink:

3 Likes

That is really good advice to give. If you had talked to me at 18/19 I most definitely wouldn’t have known what to expect by 40. My goals then, are no where close to where I am today, and I’m could only to have hoped I would be this happy one day, and today it’s my reality, and I LOVE IT!

That’s a great way to think about it. I actually got my first at 19(left ankle), second 24(Left Shoulder blade), third 27(My back), and my most recent at 36(my left thigh). Now that I’m 40, in a career they don’t care about tattoos. I want to start getting more again. However I would rather use my money to travel, instead of ink. I think it would be neat to research and maybe get some while traveling too.

This is so wonderful to hear, and glad to know it’s not always something that would eliminate me. However also I don’t have my posted on here, since you won’t see hardly any of them, unless I’m in a swimsuit.

By the way, you’re ink is beautiful and different I love it! :heart:
And you have stunning nails as well. That is the one thing I miss the most about having a desk job. I used to always have long, painted nails. However now turning wrenches, they get beat up so much, not worth doing anymore. Some of the stuff I work with, will take nail polish right off too. :frowning:

So very true, everyone has a different view on what they may consider normal or not. One of my favorite quotes is “What maybe normal for the spider is chaos for the fly”

Thank you, I love it :heart:

1 Like

In this day and age… wild colored hair is not likely to be an issue if someone comes across professional and qualified. Neck tattoo’s, piercings that are “unusual” and other such things could very well be a deterrent to some people (I’d go as far as saying majority). But anything that is not visibly right in your face would be less an issue. That’s my honest take on it.

1 Like

I agree with you, and I was hope of this. With everything being so new to THS, I would I would see what people though of this, or if it really didn’t matter.

I could see where this could be an issue, however if it wasn’t anything too vulgar, I myself wouldn’t let this deter me. Tattoos to me are just another form of self expression. It is something that is harder to accept and not stereotype for most.

And thank you for that. I enjoy reading people’s takes on things. :hearts:

1 Like

Love the hair but I don’t have the patience to sit for the length of time it takes. Otherwise I’d have rainbow hair!
There are very few judgemental people on this site. My personal opinion is that it takes a certain mindset to be here and that mindset does not include discrimination in any form. We are a mixed bag but there is two things that bind us together, love of animals and the need to travel.
Go for it.
Elsie

2 Likes

I love your hair! I have colleagues who regularly change their hair colours including blues, greens, pinks and purples and it looks great. I work as a swimming teacher though, so the chlorine would strip out any colour I added to my hair! However the grey hairs are slowly increasing, so I may have to rethink this in the future.

1 Like

Have to admit the nails are acrylic extensions, my own nails are awfully prone to breaking, always have been… I’ve been doing my own acrylics for years and they are so much stronger than my own…I used to be married to a farmer and these nails have done driving tractors, combines and a JCB telehandler, as well as chucking hay and straw bales around. They also coped admirably with everything associated with breeding and training shire horses and Welsh cobs and driving catering lorries at Gatwick airport and dealing with the catering trolleys on the planes… Oh and office work as I now do part time admin and bookkeeping…:rofl:

2 Likes

Congratulations on being User of the Month :-). Well deserved - great discussion

2 Likes

In my area, tattoos and fun hair colors are very common so a sitter who applied to watch my home would fit in nicely and be likely to enjoy my town :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I LOVE OPs hair, and now I want it. I occasionally do fun stuff with my hair, but it’s been a while. To that point, the other day I was updating my profile with some current status info and I realized that the pic I was still using was from back when I had a hot pink mohawk. I updated it, not because I had problems getting sits while it was there (I didn’t) but because I now have hair to the middle of my back. I don’t have a recent pic with my natural grey color, but I chose an older pic but still with long hair. Just because it’s more representative of my current appearance. But I had no problems getting sits with the mohawk pic and frankly, anyone who would decline me simply based on my appearance isn’t someone I’d want to sit for anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks so much :heart:

That’s Awesome! I might just have to keep an eye out for your posting, as I would love a town like that. :heart:

1 Like