Owner left a cash tip of $100 up front--I feel weird accepting it but don't want to be rude

For context, this is an owner using THS for the very first time. I’m a local so I’m not getting the usual benefit of having free accommodations in exchange for pet sitting. My motivation is just to hang with this cat, get out of my lonely apartment, and generate a decent review for when I use THS for traveling. Also, this is a shorter sit before I do a month-long sit in the near future. Anyway, I feel weird accepting $100, but I also don’t want to be rude. Thoughts?

I was left a very generous tip too during my first sit. I thanked the HO, but insisted that it was not necessary. I left it on the table once I left.

1 Like

It is so awkward! On the one hand I think we’re taught to accept gifts graciously and this is what it is. But…

I’d leave a note, thanking the homeowner for their generous gift – I wouldn’t call it a tip. Gently remind him that it isn’t necessary because the site is all about the exchange – and even though you don’t need the home, I’d thank him for the opportunity to stay there, try something new, and hang with his lovely cat. You could also mention that the best gift is a 5 star review because you’d love to do more sits. I’d also leave him a welcome home gift, spending maybe half the tip? Cat toys? Favorite coffee? etc.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be embarassed. I would accept it graciously with a "That was very kind of you and very unexpected.

We have been left wine and restaurant gift certificates worth more than that, and will typically leave wine and a gift of some sort - art, gift basket, fruit - when we leave. Having said that, we only do sits of 5 days or more so there’s a lot of value to us in staying in a beautiful home and never paying rent again. Hence our gift purchases range around $100 to $150.

If this was left at the start of your stay, buy them something nice with it, as a thank you. They’ll never know unless you tell them.

5 Likes

I’d simply leave it with a nice thank you note. I remember my first couple times as HO having THS sitters, I felt weird not leaving money but they never took it. I think money changes the dynamic for both parties. Now I leave a gift card for a local spot and park passes, things sitters can use to make their stay more enjoyable without feeling like they’re being paid. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with accepting the money but you might be doing everyone a favor by kindly turning it down.

2 Likes

I would accept it - its s gift, no different than a bottle of wine or box of chocolates.

4 Likes

I gratefully accepts little gifts and “tips” if they’re offered.
I would never expect it, and it’s not the norm, but if someone is grateful for my service and wants to show that gratitude in some tangible way, I usually graciously accept. (I typically only do long sits.)

If it makes you uncomfortable, that’s legitimate too!
I don’t think it’s rude if you just say, ‘I’d feel weird accepting this, and I enjoyed sitting here, so please spend the money on treats for your cat; that would make me happy.’ (or something along those lines.)
I don’t think anyone would be offended by that at all!

1 Like

Welcome @MNCatLady
What a lovely thoughtful owner. Many owners choose to leave gifts out of appreciation for their sitter , especially at this holiday time of year when it’s difficult to find a sitter . Some leave a fridge full of groceries on arrival , a hamper of food when you leave, an expensive bottle of wine and flowers or a gift card for a local store. This is cash is no different, it just means you can chose your gift .
You didn’t demand , ask or expect it , but you can still be appreciative of it .

If you don’t feel right spending it on yourself you could donate it to a charity for a cause close to your heart or an animal shelter .

1 Like

No, it feels completely different!

I have been on sits where I was left with generous supplies of nice wines of the district, and I was happy to drink them. I also had a nice gift card of an upscale delicatessen once and it was fun to choose there between luxury snacks to get up to the amount.

But once when I was left €20 in cash, it felt awkward. I only took it when I needed to buy more food for the pets.

3 Likes

A gift card is just cash with restrictions on where you can spend it!

Personally, I don’t expect anything but am happy to accept anything, including cash.

4 Likes

You could always use some of the money during the sit if needed and leave the change with a thank you note.
I underscore the HO left it as a thank you, acknowledgement, gift, gesture… whatever. It is ok to accept it and leave a thank you note.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this situation. I’m leaning towards using the money to buy them a nice bottle of wine. My previous sit the owner left me a bottle of wine and I left her one in return. I figure I can treat this situation similarly even if the exchange isn’t exactly 1 for 1 in the same way.

4 Likes

A good mix of replies but I would put myself in the owner’s shoes. They have decided to leave you $100 as a sign of appreciation and may feel taken aback if you don’t accept it. It will be them that may feel uncomfortable if their gift is spurned.
I would gratefully accept it.

3 Likes

We have had a few leave us gifts, it can feel weird but not sure how a cash tip would be any different! Enjoy!

3 Likes

Lots of good responses - I’d accept it graciously - maybe use some of it for a plant or flowers when you leave.

2 Likes

I had one pet parent give our family a $75 amazon gift card. I told her it was not necessary but she insisted. I bought exercise bands for my kids and bought pet supplies for an animal shelter that was posted here on the forum with the remainder of the funds.

6 Likes