We have a sitter arranged to come in one week. Our cat has just been through an emergency urinary blockage procedure and is recovering, but still not well. My husband also has a dental health emergency that may mean he will not be able to go on the trip as planned–he would stay home to care for our cat if necessary. We may need to cancel our sitters coming to our home in NC from FL unless both these situations improve in the next few days. What is the best way to proceed if we need to do this?
@jennyperry - sorry to hear of your predicament. I would suggest you contact the sitter as soon as possible and discuss the situation.
I hope all turns out well.
I have alerted our sitter regarding a possible cancellation and she replied right away. She totally understands and has asked to let her know later in the week. Hopefully the health issues will improve, but it sounds like it will not impact our sitters’ plans in a major way if we do need to cancel.
Over the years, pre-THS, I’ve had to cancel with sitters, sometimes at the last minute when pets suddenly got sick. I’ve cancelled vacations when my spouse or myself got sick. This happens. The sooner you decide, the better for your sitter. Sitters are or should be prepared for this possibility.
Sorry to hear about the heath issues of your cat and your husband. Sometimes medical issues happen and you need to cancel. Let the sitter know as soon a possible so they the can make other arrangements. They will need to make decisions about their trip, either look for another sit, find alternative accommodations, or stay home. They won’t be able to adjust their plans until they know for sure that the sit is cancelled.
Oh Bless, Do hope Kitty and your Husband are both well again soon.
Just be straight up with them, however be prepared they might want to cancel as the lead time might be too short for them so your Husband might have to stay home if you can’t find sitters quickly.
We have has this happen, it’s life.
wishing you all the best.
Good to hear it isn’t going to impact the sitter and you have worked it out with them. Hopefully everything works out for everyone in the end🙏
Our cat Leonard was x-rayed at the vet’s office today and has surgery scheduled for next week to remove a bladder stone. My husband ( who will have a root canal tomorrow) will be staying home to care for him. I have notified our sitters. We have had many previous TH sitters–always a good experience, but I guess something like this is bound to happen once in a while. Thanks to all for your input.
I had a HO cancel a sit two weeks in advance. I was left with a non refundable airfare. I rearranged things a bit and took a little vacation instead. Life happens. I was insured but the illness of an unrelated person was not a covered reason. Life happens.