Pet(s) Sleeping in the same bed with you?

What are your thoughts on pet(s) sleeping in bed the same bed with you? I recall that I was on an assignment for a dog and a cat. They both had their individual sleeping beds. The HO informed me that the dog could sleep in the bedroom in her own bed nearby which was fine. I left the bedroom door open in case the dog wanted to go out into the living room. Just several minutes after I had laid down and closed my eyes, the cat came in the bedroom and jumped in bed with me. It totally startled me because when I went to bed, the cat was dozing in his own bed in the living room. Then suddenly, the cat darted back to the living room. For some homeowners (HO), they allow their pet(s) to sleep in the bed with them. I have turned down assignments whereby the HO require that the pet(s) sleep in the bed with the pet sitter. Personally, I feel that there should be boundaries and people and pets need their own space.

4 Likes

HI @anon49809275
To me that would go in the category of personal criteria, your preferences and should be discussed on your initial dialog. To some that is not a point of discussion at all.
In my experience, each animal, just like us humans, have very unique personalities. Animals like cats and dogs do have emotional needs for their comfort and again just like humans can have bad habits or unacceptable behavior. I know my own limitations. I have had cats in bed with me and cats that I won’t allow in my bedroom if they are causing a disturbance.
It’s a personal choice so know what works for you and be open with that in your communication.

2 Likes

Hi @anon49809275 My decision is based on making sure I get a reasonably comfortable night’s sleep. It means my decision depends on the size of the pet, the size of the bed, and the regular sleeping habits of the pet. I also find that pets sometimes stray from their usual sleeping routine. I realize, as @Amparo has mentioned, that pets often need different emotional support when their owners are away.

On a recent sit I was with a large dog who normally slept on the bed with the owner, but she suggested I not allow that as she often didn’t get a good night’s rest. I firmly said no to the dog and she did listen. The owner expected that the dog would sleep in the living room, where she normally dozed during the day. However, while I was there she usually slept on the floor at the foot of the bed or the side of my bed. I’m not sure whether it was for comfort, or to guard me, or both.

If I can comfortably sleep with a small dog or cat ON my bed, then I truly enjoy it. I know of some owners who allow their pets IN their bed (under the covers), and I’m firm with owners that I am not comfortable with that. I do discus with the owners about sleeping arrangements with the pet anytime I feel there’s a need. I also appreciate when homeowners address this in their listing.

4 Likes

I don’t apply for sits where the pets sleep with you. I love all animals but my bed is sacred, even my husband knows not to invade my side.

13 Likes

I agree with @ElsieDownie
My profile states that we do not want pets that are allowed in the bedroom. If I am accepted for a sitting I ask again where the pets sleep before I confirm so that there is no doubt whatsoever.

4 Likes

HI @Amparo I agree we all have our own unique personalities along with what makes us comfortable and uncomfortable. For me, I am a light sleeper and sleeping with a restless animal, one that snores, or one that is flatulent is not my ideal for comfort. On the other side, I may snore, toss & turn & it may not be ideal for the animal.

2 Likes

Hi @Snowbird I can certainly see how sleeping with different size dogs would influence one’s decision. Sharing the bed with a German Shepherd would be a different experience than sharing the bed with a Papillon. Dogs are used to structure and routine. If pets are used to sleeping in the bed with the HO and then all of a sudden, they aren’t allowed, it may cause confusion for the animals.
Consistency is key which is why I won’t apply for sits whereby the HO require the animals to sleep in the same bed as the pet sitter.

2 Likes

Our dogs sleep in various places around the house, sometimes in their own beds in our bedroom, sometimes on the settee/chairs downstairs and sometimes on/in our bed…… they do however get kicked out or off the bed if they disturb our sleep! I prefer the dogs not to be allowed into our room when we are not there as we can have ‘marking’ issues if the lurcher is at all unsettled, and I move their beds out onto the landing and/or into the sitters bedroom if they are happy with that. I always say to the sitters that if they would rather not have the dogs in the bedroom just to keep their door shut, it isn’t a problem normally… The only other thing that I mention is that if there is thunder or fireworks the two smaller dogs will need company…

3 Likes

We always ask during our initial interview. It’s a no for us too, they are very welcome to come on my lap on the couch, but not the bed or the bedroom.

3 Likes

My cats always sleep next to me in bed. During the night they never bother me, but HL notices right away when I wake up in the morning and from then on he insists to be served his breakfast.
I state this in my listing and also say that if a sitter doesn’t want the cats in bed he/she/ they either shouldn’t apply or know that there will be a two-part cat concert outside of the bedroom door…all night. Believe me, I have tried it and gave up.

7 Likes

Hi @Foldor13 Oh, my gosh! I have not heard the word settee since I was a kid. My mother used to always say settee and I had no idea until I got older that settee was another way of saying couch or sofa. :smiley: I also sat for a small dog that was afraid of thunder–he came running and slept under my bed.

Absolutely. Like I said above, you find that spot that works for you. I have done some “behaviour modification” as necessary to meet my needs without stressing the animal. For me, it’s not a hard core rule though I do have some, like I do not tolerate animals on surfaces where food is prepared or eaten. Some HOs feel that’s ok but it’s actually very unsanitary. Some feel that way about having animals in bed.
I do like my space and prefer being alone but sometimes, there is that one cat… :heartbeat:

3 Likes

Hi @anon39388349 What does ‘HL’ stand for?

Uh oh …… showing my age I guess we were brought up calling them settees…… :rofl::joy:

1 Like

Totally agree can’t stand animals on work surfaces……

2 Likes

@anon49809275 :rofl: my tom cat’s name “Herr Lehmann”.

1 Like

Hi @Amparo Good point about allowing/now allowing pets on surfaces where ‘food is prepared or eaten’. Pets that have been outside in the dirt, sand, the dead lizard they found or shedding is all very unsanitary. It’s no better when they bring it into bed. Their paws, like our shoes-- contain bacteria.

1 Like

Same here. When cats are used to going in a room they will show their displeasure in different ways if the door is closed, especially if they know someone is in there. We tried once to close the door of the bedroom and one of the cats was “pounding” on the door (on her hind legs while scratching at the door with her front paws) and meowing at the same time. Better to be woken up for a few minutes when they climb into bed then to try and sleep through the concert. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I was younger and living alone I had three cats. When I went to bed one would sleep at my head, one between my feet and one on my back. :cat::cat::cat:I slept very well.

2 Likes

My two cats already wait for me in the evening in the bedroom. Only in Summer when the temperatures are high even at night, do they stay outside and come in when I am already asleep. When I wake up in the morning they are both there.
They have each their special spot, one on the left side next to my feet and the other on the right next to my pillow.
I don’t even know if they leave and come back during the night. I think they do but they would not wake me.

3 Likes

Very good topic for conversation @anon49809275 thank you for creating.

We will watch this with great interest (as we do all conversations)

5 Likes