Pet sitters asking for guests to stay as well

I am just wondering if many owners have pet sitters who then ask close to the sit if they can have 2 older children staying over at least a couple of days during the sit? I am a little nervous about this but equally don’t want to upset the sitters.

4 Likes

Looks like I will need to. Never even thought of it. It starts to become like Air b n b but with out the cost.

4 Likes

we always ask if guests are allowed and if for an evening or overnight. But ask at the outset, it is one of our questions for homeowners and we always emphasize that there is no wrong answer. Just information that may be useful

5 Likes

If you’re not comfortable, don’t feel obliged to say yes. I’m a sitter and the only person I’d think of bringing is my partner, who then helps with pet care too. I’d never just invite another guest, it would feel like taking advantage.

7 Likes

As sitters, one of our personal rules is No Guests. On one occasion, we asked at the onset of discussions if someone could join us, phrasing the question that we understood if the answer was no.

I don’t think it’s fair of the sitter to make the request once confirmed, especially if the dates are close.

8 Likes

Hello @Debjm59 I’ll just add the third party policy below. You may want to point out to the sitters that the request is to be made prior to arranging the sit.

I used the magnifying glass to search the word guests and there were a few related posts on this topic. This one is the most extensive, so may be of interest to you.

Francine,
Volunteer moderator :canada:

3 Likes

@Debjm59

Let’s not forget you are having your home and pets cared for in your absence and saving your pets the upset of being put into kennels - I would argue that there is a considerable cost attached to that!

We sometimes have owners asking if they can add extra days on to our sit after we have booked, sometimes we say yes, sometimes we say no depending on our circumstances. I can honestly say that it never occurs to us that we are starting to become like kennels without the cost

All circumstances are different, your sitters have asked a question, it is now for you to agree or disagree. I agree it would have been easier had they asked before booking but maybe their circumstances have changed since then?

25 Likes

I think it’s tough to ask you after you’ve confirmed unless they really are 100% open to you saying no and them still committing to the sit. It’s a question to ask in the “interview” stage unless as has been mentioned, this is a curve ball they couldn’t have foreseen. Open and honest comms both ways is always the best.

4 Likes

We have asked on occasions and explained why. And also made it clear it doesn’t change anything if the answer is no. We have never been declined. In fact a very nice family suggested that our son stays over when we said one of the reasons we were in the area was to visit him.
How does everyone feel about guests who come to visit but don’t stay over night? Maybe just for a cup of tea in the garden or a nice meal.

6 Likes

I sometimes have asked but always say I would quite understand completely if it’s a no. Then a friend sometimes stays nearby in a hotel or air B and B. As a solo traveller I enjoy my own company but it’s nice to have a friend come along for a few days as well.

4 Likes

As @Colin suggested maybe the sitters curcumstances have changed since they accepted the sit. A very valid question you can ask as its close to the sit date. You could also remind them of the code of conduct as listed by @Snowbird that additional guests should be agreed too PRIOR to accepting the sit. Agreed that its only a question, and that you can say yes or no…however, I fully understand how awkward and vunerable a queston like this makes you feel when its close to the sit date. I once had a sitter state in their application they would bring an additional 4 adult family members. That certainly made me feel my home would be treated as an free Air bnb with some pet care responsibilities.
I have approved partners and friends of sitters staying over for the whole duration of the sits, but its always disccussed prior to sit being confirmed.

3 Likes

Yes, we have had guests like this stay and we have brought our 15 and 7 year old on sits as well.

1 Like

@ElsieDownie the third party policy I added earlier in this post (#7) applies to day visitors too, not just overnight. After 7+ years with THS, this spring was the first time I asked the owners if I could have two lady friends visit me for an afternoon tea. I explained they are both cat lovers. They instantly said of course and to bring out the patio furniture if the weather allowed. The cat checked my friends out and then went off for a snooze, totally disinterested. Even for a casual visit like that I would never do it without prior approval. As has been said too - better they hear about it from me than from the neighbours. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

As you have written ‘older children’ I am guessing adults 18+. Are the parents visiting their adult children and that’s why they have applied your sit? For example their children are at Uni in X town and they are staying close to see them. Then they should have mentioned this @ application stage.
If they are on a holiday away from their home town & their children’s home town then I think that is just rude and they can book their own accommodation.
I am a local solo sitter and if I am on a sit for a few weeks I ask if a cousin/ friend can come over for lunch/coffee etc on a weekend @ application/ getting to know each other stage.
Unless the children are under 18 & who ever was looking after them has now canx then that is a difficult one.

1 Like

I’ve asked homeowners if a friend could stay too, sometimes the answer has been yes, sometimes it is no. Completely fine either way, if you want to say no, do it!

5 Likes

I often am house/petsitting near my adult children. I always ask if it’s OK for them to join me for a night or a meal during my stay. All the homeowners have allowed this with no problem. I think as long as it’s a family member, it should be allowed, but it’s obviously very important to ask as early in the process as possible.

3 Likes

Hello @Andy and welcome to the community forum. In my experience, when people make reasonable requests that are respectful, most result in good outcomes. However, I also recognize that many owners who may be opening their homes up for the first time may be wary. Unfortunately in life - and not just in house sitting - the rare negative story often gets far more attention than the many, many, heartwarming ones.

I encourage you to go to the Introduce Yourself section and share a little of your pet sitting experiences. Adding a photo or two is also a welcome addition. We’d love to get to know all members a little more. :slightly_smiling_face:

Francine
Volunteer moderator :canada:

4 Likes

We had the homeowner ask us as housesitters If we were planning on having any guests. We weren’t even thinking about it but this was a great question. Our adult daughter was able to come down for two nights because her schedule changed and she was able to relax and enjoy the home with us and the Pets loved her, even sleeping with her at night.
I had also previously asked if my sister who lives nearby could come over for dinner one evening and use the pool. They happily obliged but we were there for six nights.

2 Likes

As sitters we have never invited additional guests ( although at least two hosts have offered). If it was something we would contemplate we would, of course, ask first and then it would be for something like sharing a walk, or sharing a meal - not overnights.

1 Like

If the homeowner includes no visitors in their initial request I never ask. If it is not stipulated you can usually tell if they are open to guests. If they request a family or couple and are generous in their offerings then they will probably be open to guests. We have a repeat housesit who allows us to have another couple for a few days. They love the dogs as much as us and the dogs get double the attention.

4 Likes