Pet sitters asking for guests to stay as well

The last two applicants we have used have asked us, within a couple of weeks of scheduled sits, if another person can join them during the sit at our home. We are not comfortable with this paradigm; we use THS as the sitters are vetted to some degree and instill in us a sense of confidence. As such, both times we have communicated this, the potential sitters have ghosted us.
Is this a normal request? How do you feel about such a request? Do I need to be explicit in my sit request on site? Confused here…

Dana & Sheila

1 Like

The answer is completely up to you. If you are not comfortable, say no.

One of our personal sitter rules is no guests. IF we were to want to have a guest, we would ask in such a way that we understand the answer could be no.

3 Likes

I think it’s unfair of them to put you in that position. If they ask upfront before confirming then you can choose, asking close to a sit feels like you’re being played. We just had it happen the other way around and said “no, it breaks THS third party rules so not happening” and that was that. Hopefully you’ve just been unlucky. You could say “no guests” in your listing so it’s super clear and doesn’t happen a third time.

1 Like

@dglus Yes, post your policy on your listing. We have it as a stand-alone paragraph to enhance visibility when sitters read through the listing. We have turned down a sitter over this. If they bring it up after the sit is confirmed, this is a red flag.

What about when owners don’t leave any pets?

As you say, sometimes there’s more need to accommodate people, but if I’m not leaving pets and I won’t impose on a sitter to change plans around me, I am far more likely to change to accommodate their needs, expecting changes mid-sit, would make me feel very obligated to the sitter.

As it stands, I feel no sense of obligation to facilitate someone else’s visitors, strangers I’ve never interviewed, in my home.

There’s plenty of BnB type places where I live and none for less than €100 a night. If they want a visitor, they can stay nearby in one of those.

It cuts both ways on the free accommodation v’s free pet care front.

As first timers, I am already a little nervous about what I need to do for my sitter, I want to ensure THEY have the best time while they are here, but that doesn’t extend to an open house policy and I was genuinely shocked and very uncomfortable about the amount of requests by some sitters to have friends and children visit.

One excitedly told me they planned to have a stream of guests, both friends and different relatives over the time in my empty house.

I do think a lot of this stress could be the unknown rises around fuel costs, if we agree to one or two people for ‘x’ number of weeks or months, I don’t want to find that becomes 4 or 6 people at times, it’s very unreasonable to expect that of any owners.

All these requests, when I only showed one bedroom, sure I have more bedrooms, the sitter is having the best guest room, that doesn’t mean the rest of the house is open to their guests.

Maybe over time I could be more relaxed, but don’t want to feel it’s expected, or to have to justify myself.

I know I never want sitters young children in the house.

Despite saying the house isn’t suitable for children, I had people apply who had several.

If a visitor/friends of a sitter causes any damage, who covers that, as they surely wouldn’t be covered under the THS insurance cover, as they wouldn’t be considered sitters?

Those are really questions I don’t want to need to find out the answers to.

If a house was less desirable, either location or whatever, if lots of pets are being left behind, maybe people feel more obliged to make some concessions, some people don’t really care about their homes, have kids of their own at home etc.

I’m not saying anyone shouldn’t sit with kids, or have friends visit, just not in my house and don’t ask me to agree to it, when I’ve taken the time to spell it out on my listing.

Your last point, I couldn’t imagine imposing my change of plans on a sitter to stay longer for free, especially since travel insurance covers the costs for delays or other emergency reasons for needing to extend a trip.

None of this is really an issue, if people read the listing and raise it in advance, because I have no pets being left behind, I’d be okay with the sitter leaving early, or spending nights away from the house with their friends.

It is my house, I wouldn’t ask it of another owner and only want people to treat me, as I treat them.

2 Likes

It happens that both HOs or sitters request for a third party to stay at the place, but it’s perfectly reasonable not to agree to that. It might be good to make clear what your boundaries are, in a polite and respectful manner of course.

1 Like

One home owner on another platform was very grateful I suggested she add the ‘No Visitors’ detail in her home manual before we accepted the sit just so that future house sitters would know. I personally wouldn’t want extra people in my home.

1 Like

Hi @LinB . Have you linked my name to your message by mistake? I only added one short message on this thread and your response does not seem to correlate to it.

Your response starts by saying…

but I didn’t say this?

I’ve asked to have friends/family visit on sits many times but only if the home and pets are appropriate. I’m frequently sitting in an area where my F&F either live or are vacationing and enjoy the opportunity to get together. Being that we’re now sitting pretty much all the time, we want to see our people when and where we can. Of course, If an HO’s listing says ‘no guests’ I wouldn’t dream of asking, but in many cases I also wouldn’t apply. Depending on the sit, I usually prefer that F&F visit me as it can be complicated for me to visit them. I don’t like leaving my furry-charges alone more than necessary and some beasties just aren’t as portable as others.

I think it’s important that for us on both sides of the transaction (HOs & Sitters) to be upfront, considerate, and realistic. I’m mentioning realistic because (per another topic/string) we’re seeing FAR more demanding sits now that ever before. I’d say that 3 pets is now pretty much the average and many of the HOs are presenting their pet’s routine as being fairly high maintenance and rigid. If I’m being asked to care for 3 dogs, a cat or 2, a bird and a gekko, I’m expecting that you’re going to be pretty understanding about my asking to guests over (assuming of course that your home can reasonably accommodate) because I can’t realistically leave for more than maybe an hour without neglecting someone. On the other side of the coin, I’d NEVER DREAM of having any sort of party or ‘wild’ get together. I wouldn’t dream of having anyone in someone else’s home who I don’t know very well or has any history of not conduct themselves appropriately.

We need to remember that there are considerations on all sides. just my 2 cents (ya, probably more like a quarter… lol).

8 Likes

Hi All!

My name is Olivia and I am new to Trusted Housesitters! I’ve pet sit multiple times and have years of experience caring for different animals. I’m excited to be able to meet and take care of animals internationally. Before I begin applying for listings I wanted to ask the community a question about best practices… are you able to have a friend stay with you while sitting? My friend is going to be in the same city that I am planning to house sit in, and she would like to visit and maybe stay with me while I’m sitting. Is this allowed? If it is, I would of course mention this on my applications, but I wanted to check here first if this is an unusual situation/request.

Hello @OliviaB
Welcome to the wonderful world of THS and housesitting and good luck for your future.
Before you post a question it’s a good idea to search, using the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner and putting in key words.
Your question has been asked many times before and there are lots of responses that will help you.
I put in ‘Friend staying on sit’ and here is one of many of the threads that may help you:

So hopefully this, and the other answers, will help you.

Hi @Smiley , thank you for the welcome!

Sorry about that, I’ll definitely search more attentively. Thank you for the tip!

2 Likes

We are sitters and not owners but wouldn’t dream of asking if we can have guests. We are providing a service in return for free accommodation, it isn’t Airbnb where we are paying for the space.

We don’t even take photos of the pets that may show too much of the hosts home as it’s the owners private space. Plus we ask permission before posting any pics we do take.

1 Like

It seems like a good idea, I had not thought of it

Hi Olivia,

Every HO is different. I’ve done two sits now where a friend has joined me on the sit, and twos sit where a friend came round for lunch / dinner. I asked the HO in advance and let them know if they didn’t feel comfortable with it then it was absolutely fine and I’d make alternative plans. Two actually offered me prior to have guests, one said she didn’t want me to be lonely whilst taking care of her dogs, which was really thoughtful.

Some HO have put in their house guide strictly no guests. What people are comfortable with will vary so best to have the conversation ASAP if it’s something that is important to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

With you wholly on this. I always ask in the interview stage if they’d be comfortable if I had someone over for a meal, but that I absolutely understand if they’d rather not have anyone else in their home. (I’d never ask for an overnight guest but understand some people might.) So far the answer has always been a welcoming yes, which is lovely, but I’d never dream of inviting someone round without that established permission. And I’d never want anyone around who might reflect badly on me as a sitter! :wink:

To Homeowners who are wary… Don’t be afraid when sitters ask: you can say no (and should, if you’re not comfortable). Yes it can be nice for a sitter - especially on a longer sit or one where they need to be at home with your pet quite a lot – to have some company and not have to go out all the time just to see another person, but YOU get to establish the boundaries. A good sitter is not going to be offended at all.

6 Likes

I just had this happen to me- we had our sitters confirmed for months, we told them in writing and verbally that it was very important to us not to have other guests in our home BEFORE we confirmed them- then- they asked if people can come stay in our home while they are sitting. We completely lost trust of them respecting our home and even our pets routine- so we cancelled them. It felt very manipulative and I was, frankly, shocked. I think it is appalling behavior for a sitter to ask a host AFTER they are confirmed and AFTER the homeowner has explicitly explained they don’t want any other guests. It has been extremely upsetting and I hope we can find suitable sitters prior to our trip.

2 Likes

@DarkAloha that is shocking. Most home owners don’t mention this explicitly, so it’s a bit of an open discussion, preferably beforehand. But the fact that you did mention it explicitly and the sitters still asked months after confirming is pretty disrespectful. I’m sorry you had to go through this and hope you find someone soon.

2 Likes

Hi all. I’m wondering how to approach a HO about bringing a guest along on a sit, or in my case, allowing a relative to come visit for a few days? Not sure if/how to do this so any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

If it were me, I would email them first to give them the time and comfort to say no, rather than asking on a phone call or in person. And I would word it in such a way to show that I have no expectations and fully understand if they’re not comfortable with it.

Also - I would read through their post again and make sure they’ve not said anything about visitors already, and may even read any reviews to see if any other sitters have mentioned visitors.

8 Likes