Pet sitters asking for guests to stay as well

As HO I would be open to it but I’m pretty sure THS has rules against guests who aren’t members because of insurance. I’d check that first.

1 Like

We have asked twice and both times had very enthusiastic answers. Both times were unexpected visits from overseas family. I made plain that it was not a deal breaker, they would find accommodation near by and if they did allow us to have them stay we would make sure all bed linen, towels etc were washed and dried. No problems.
The most embarrassing situation was when friends turned up for a day visit without telling us beforehand. We had told them we were going to be nearby and we would visit them but they came to us instead. Thank goodness it was a beautiful day and we sat in the garden but it still could have been embarrassing if the neighbours had made a off hand remark about it when they got back.

6 Likes

You’re already getting some good advice on this question, but here’s another thread on this topic from slightly different perspective you might also find interesting to read.

Do you allow sitters to have other guests stay in your home?

2 Likes

Do it before you confirm the sit or it’s in violation of THS policy, also, it feels very manipulative to the homeowner imo.

I would always ask this before a sit is confirmed, if possible.
One home owner said I was welcome to invite guests into the house, which was fantastic because I had friends in the area. I only had one friend over though and it was for tea, not an overnight visit.
Another home owner suggested that I invite my mother to their house when I mentioned that I wanted to visit her (she doesn’t live too far away) and I thought that was so kind.
In general I’d be careful about inviting people because it’s very important to me to respect people’s homes. I would only think about inviting people very close to me for overnight stays and always be totally understanding if the home owners say no.

1 Like

This topic has been discussed at length. Take a look at the links below.

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/do-you-allow-sitters-to-have-other-guests-stay-in-your-home/

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/asking-for-guests-to-stay-over-on-longer-sits/

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/pet-sitters-asking-for-guests-to-stay-as-well/

I approach this on a case by case basis. If an owner states something in their listing that would make me think it not suitable for a visitor, i.e. their home and/or pets are only suited to a solo sitter or something about their pet’s temperament, I do not ask.

In the few instances, when I have asked to have friends stop over for a visit I have told the pet owner all about the friend, their education, job, interests, how I met them, how long I’ve known them, their experience with pets, etc. and emphasize that I completely understand if they would rather I not have a visitor and that I am very happy to comply with their wishes.

If they consent, I send a picture of the friend after they have arrived, usually with the pet. I have never had a pet owner refuse but I have asked infrequently and only if the situation felt right.

I have had my daughter sleep over with me at several sits, she is not mentioned in my profile. Again, I told the owners all about her and sent pictures. I also had a friend spend the night at two sits, this was actually offered by one of the pet owners, as they were formerly international sitters and had enjoyed having their own family members stay with them at sits.

I have sometimes asked before the sit is confirmed but sometimes after, as well. If afterwards, I begin the request expecting they will not want a visitor and double and triple check that they have no reservations before proceeding.

1 Like