What to ask and accepting a sitter

Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been asked before but a quick search hasn’t shown me the answer so I thought I would ask here.
I have been contacted by a family who would like to come and sit for us (yay!). They seem really lovely, but I am unsure as to what I need to do now. Are there any specific questions I should be asking them? I wonder what happens if we book our flights and then they back out for one reason or another - does that happen? (I have absolutely no reason to think they will!) I haven’t spoken to them by phone or video yet but plan to do that. When do I confirm their sitting?
I expect there is a document somewhere that explains all of this but I haven’t yet found it!
Thank you for any help and re-assurance. x

I am a sitter. I agree that you should at the very least have a video chat before you accept anyone. There are all sorts of things that may crop up in conversation that would lead one or other of the party to decide it is not a good fit no matter how nice they are. Have you checked the sitters’ references? If they have none ask them about their experience with animals, with home care. Do they have dietary restrictions or do you prefer non meat eaters in your home. You mention family - do they have young children, pets of their own? Are your home and surroundings child proof? Does the family think they may have visitors over while they are there and what are your thoughts on that. To be honest there are lots and lots of questions that you need to ask (and they need to ask) before either of you make a decision. There can never be too many questions :-).

2 Likes

Here’s a thread I started some months ago. You might find some useful questions to ask. Scroll down a little, because some members "bombed the thread with apple pie and vaccination issues…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Hi @DerbyshireGirl

Once both you and the sitter agree on the sit, here are the steps you take to confirm:

How do I confirm a sitter?

As for the rare situation where plans have to be changed, and it can be for either the sitter or the homeowner, then communication is key. Consideration for the other person’s needs is essential, even though one of you may be going through something traumatic.

If anyone has to ‘back out’ for exceptional reasons - and it happens - then membership services will be ready to support you. However, we all need to put plan B and more in place, as those who are experienced will tell you that things do happen, oftentimes outside of anyone’s control. I tell homeowners I have plans B and C in place, but hopefully won’t need them. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for that information and for putting my mind at rest. Our daughter doesn’t live far away so if the worst came to the worst I am sure that she would step in. I think I was just having a little panic :wink: And although we haven’t actually chatted to our potential sitters on video yet, we have via messenger and they seem so lovely - I am feeling a lot more relaxed about it all now :slight_smile: Thanks x

That was really useful, thank you so much x

1 Like

Thank you Liz - they are all good points. I am hoping to have a video call with them during the week and now have some better ideas of what to chat about :slight_smile: Thanks x

Thank you so much for your advice from a sitters perspective - that’s really useful x

1 Like

I scrolled down as you suggested, yet can’t find the list of questions from HOs to sitters that you say you’ve posted. Only thanks from Derbyshiregirl for the list. Would you re-post your list of questions or let me know how to access it?

2 Likes

Hi @MagicalFarm I managed to find the list of questions that @anon39388349 posted in the above mentioned thread which I have copied below for you:

Sep '21

I think we have discussed the problem about insurances at length now and I would like to ask to come back to the original topic why I originally started this thread:
which questions to ask a potential sitter.

Here are all the collected questions so far.

• exact arrival/departure time
  • how will the sitter(s) arrive? Do they travel by car and do they need a place to park it? Can we pick them up at a bus or train station?
  • are they fully vaccinated (proof?)
  • do they speak the local language?
  • do they have a permanent address? Where can they be contacted by an insurance company in case of damages?
  • are they ok with cleaning personal, gardeners etc on the property?
  • are there any groceries we can shop for them before they arrive? Especially when they arrive at a weekend or late at night.
  • are they allergic, vegetarian, vegan?
  • if it seems important to you, ask for insurances. These may differ depending on where the sit takes place and where the sitter is from.
  • In case you cannot provide a decent wifi connection, how do you plan to communicate with the sitter during his stay.
  • How would you describe your house cleaning habits? Will you be able to clean the house at the end of your stay, including vacuuming and wiping down all touchable surfaces?
  • Do you plan on spending any overnights away from the house?
  • Do you have experience giving __ type of medication to a cat using __ method?
5 Likes

THANK YOU!!!

This is really helpful.

I am a HO w/ a hearing impairment - video chats or verbal chats of any kind are challenging for me… text, whatsapp, email work much better for me… just my two cents.

3 Likes