Product updates

@Ben-ProductManager
So what I see is different that what someone else sees when searching for the same thing. Algorithm I guess. I’m not looking for the same thing in my next house sit. It’s not based on previous searches and my interests change. How do I get around being typecast as a certain sitter.

4 Likes

I also do not want to be typecast as a certain sitter - my searches vary on location and length.
Please don’t over complicate things!
Most members will just be content to know the filters are working correctly.

5 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager I agree with @ExploreDreamDiscover’s and @Twitcher’s response to these updates. What I also don’t understand is the repeated requests to have an option to sort by strict chronological order is not being implemented. It’s a basic filter on other housesitting platforms.

Since the 5-application pause rule, and the manipulation with filters, I get a sense of my freedom being continually restricted by TrustedHousesitters. I get a sense of being manipulated, rather than having full access to all active sits that have not been confirmed. I am disappointed by these so-called improvements.

8 Likes

I saw several of these earlier today and they all had 0 applications.

I perceive it the same way: manipulations to get more newcomers into sits, not coincidentally sidelining veterans. New members aren’t comparing their experience with the past. What bothers me most is the violation of basic terms of membership: having access, meaning being able to see, all sits announced on the site. No one has addressed this issue since it came up all those months ago.

5 Likes

Hi @Snowbird the sort options are in chronological order.

Bringing listings with certain criteria to the top of the page can be particularly useful for members who aren’t exactly sure what they want. This is especially true as we have a large number of listings available. Listings can be found by running a search and selecting a sort option.

We have added a sort-by dropdown menu (this takes up minimal screen space and is generally familiar across other sites) However at first glance it does ‘hide’ some of the options available. Please see screenshot attached.

The recommended order is currently by low applications. These are ordered by 0, 1, 2, 3 applications. Is one of our top requests by members and we tested this at the end of last year and it was hugely successful in helping Sitters find a suitable Sit.

We also have ‘Newest’ sort option - this is ordered by latest Sit added. We also have added a sort option at a city level ‘Distance’ and results are shown nearest to city centre as this was also a top member request.

Over the coming months we will look into feature usage of these sort options. We will also look into adding sort options based on duration and nearest date. Finally also these sort options will be coming to the iOS and Android App over the coming months.

Hope this makes it clear.

Many Thanks, Ben

1 Like

@Ben-ProductManager - has the location search filter been fixed? When I filter sits in the UK the first three are not actually in the UK.

Couldn’t agree more with @Snowbird and earlier responses. Why would it be assumed that because I have done x sits in a certain location I would want to continue returning there? Also duration of sits sought will vary depending on personal circumstances at the time. This seems all too complicated and I for one would much prefer that the simple things like chronological order and distance were sorted out. To me these additional functions add little if anything to the search function.

3 Likes

@LizBCN we have added sort option by distance and also chronological order in terms of by newest and low applications.

Ben

1 Like

I hadn’t realised that Distance means from the place I’m actually searching for. Thus when a saved-search of London comes up sometimes only one or two are in (greater) London so I have to scroll past 20 or so that are quite far away. I’m glad a sort-option for distance-from was added.

What does Chronological Order mean in this context? Date the sit was first advertised or dates the sit would take place?

I have no ideas why the things that come up sorting by Recommended do come up.

Oh and I just pressed More Filters and can’t get the drop-down box off my screen.
@Ben-ProductManager

1 Like

Hi @Twitcher

Thanks for raising this issue, not currently able to recreate.

Will investigate further.

Ben

I reported a similar thing earlier this week and the advice was to restart, clear cache etc. I didn’t do this, however the following day it seemed to have resolved so it looks like it might be an intermittent problem.

Thank you @LizBCN - THS seem keen to add more filters as they say that is what we want. It would be helpful if the existing ones worked before introducing new ones and there was more compatibility between the app and the website.

4 Likes

I will focus only on this part of your response, to avoid a protracted discussion of various points. Additionally, I cannot test most features as, regardless of the browser I use, my search is frozen at the first screen - I am only able to see the first three listings.

My point was that I have seen repeated requests for a search option to have listings in strict chronological order. By that I mean, regardless of the filters used, the results display based on start date of the sit listed - earliest first. A filter for sit start date would show those for today, followed by those for tomorrow, etc.

Even when a search is done for a date range - let’s say January 13 to 20 - the entries don’t start with January 13, then 14, and so on.

If this is available and I’m not understanding, please explain how to do it. Thank you, @Ben-ProductManager

1 Like

That makes sense and would be a good sort option to add.

Thanks, Ben

Thanks for the update @Ben-ProductManager. Are these updates rolled out everywhere? I would like to be able to see the newest sits, but I don’t see the sort options. I’ve looked on Chrome and Safari.

Here’s a screenshot from Chrome.

I’m adding an issue here that has yet to be resolved: THS ‘promised’ that paused sits (those that have hit the 5 applications rule) would be shown in the search results.

What I understood from THS a while ago, these paused sits are now shown at the very END of the search results. I have previously reported that this is unfortunately useless for sitters, who search across a larger area.

In my case I search for sits across Europe. With 12 sits per page and the ability to only click at one (more) page at time, this means I have manually click through 100-200 pages at any time to get to the end of the search results - where apparently the paused sits live. Needless to say, I’ll never make it there.

The feature has been designed with a view that people would only search for sits in a very narrow area, with only a few sits listed, such that paused sits would show up on the first or second page. Not with a view of searching across a broader area, which results in dozens or even a 100+ pages of search results.

Please improve

Yes I do search by date, but still liked it way better when the duration of sit function worked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ben-ProductManager I’ll piggyback @Lindsay’s post and add that, although I do have the extra filter (and have had for some time), mine does not show the newer third filter, of ‘distance’. It’s not a concern for me, but I thought you would want this feedback. I also tried Safari and Chrome, and had never signed into my account on Chrome before. Yet another mystery for you to solve. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Ben-ProductManager like @Lindsay I don’t have have the new sort button. My website screen looks the same. Have these changes been rolled out worldwide to all THS clients?

1 Like