Retired and Nomadic at 65 & 71

My husband James and I are both retired, well I am mostly retired I work 10 hours a week remotely. Both of us are non-smokers and for the most part non-drinkers. We are fully vaccinated (2 initial shots and 2 booster shots) against COVID and vetted by Trusted Housesitters. We have 5 star reviews from all of our previous sits both within the THS program and outside of THS program.

Here is some preliminary information about us.

James is a retired corrections officer and I am for the most part retired from a 40+ year career in financial services, the last 2 years part-time and remotely.

James and I are physically active and have completed several virtual walk challenges through a walking app called The Conqueror, we walk between 7 and 15 kilometres a day.

James is currently working on a walk of the North Coast of Scotland which is 805 kilometres long. Having already completed the North Coast of Scotland I am now working on the Nakasendo Trail in Japan. We love to travel and hope to do some of these virtual walking tours live and house sits abroad once this pandemic is under control, hopefully winter 2023.

Growing up on a farm Avis has plenty of experience with a multitude of farm animals and gardening. Both of us have owned our own homes with pets. Since we no longer have pets of our own we resorted to pet and house sitting for friends and family. Then we heard about and joined Trusted Housesitters in 2020.

We joined Trusted Housesitters in March 2020 just as the pandemic started and never got in any sits. Then we moved from Manitoba to High River, Alberta in November 2020.

We had 5 sits in 2021 (August through November) 4 with Trusted Housesitters and one private arrangement.

We are on our 6th of 14 THS sits this year starting mid-May with 1 more confirmed sit in Ontario which ends late September. At that time we’ll head back to Alberta where we have 2 sits confirmed before our departure to the UK late October. We have 5 sits confirmed in England between November and late December.

5 Likes

Hi @ACLRJM

On behalf of the forum team, a warm welcome to the TrustedHousesitter’s community forum. That is awesome you have been on several sits so far. Where was your favorite sit? Do you have any photos from your past sits?

The best way to find your way around the forum is to use the magnifying glass to search key words of topics that are of interest to you. This will lead you to posts that you can review.

The main website also has some great tools for information. You’ll find a help tab on the main toolbar there, and the blog (at the bottom of the main page) also has a similar search bar to find blog posts relevant to you.

If at any time you need any help don’t hesitate to reach out to our community here which is full of helpful members who have been through the process themselves and will happily give advice and guidance. And don’t forget our membership support team are always on hand to give assistance.

All the very best,

Julie & the Forum Team

2 Likes

@ACLRJM that’s amazing. I thought I had done well being on my 4th sit since joining in Mid May (with another 3 to come before the year end) but you guys are doing amazing. I work remotely so like you guys it makes life easy when travelling.
Keep on that Nomadic lifestyle! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome @ACLRJM congratulations on your new TrustedHousesitters lifestyle and thank you for such an inspirational introduction …

Age really is just a number health, mobility, attitude and motivation have much more relevance and we really are never too old to start a new adventure. …

We all need a purpose in life and it sounds as if you have found yours, you’ve certainly found your pets, people and road to places. What has been the one thing that has surprised you the most it would be interesting to hear.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum and connecting with members from around the world, we cannot wait to share in your future pet sitting travels.

A very warm welcome once again.

2 Likes

I asked my husband which were his favourite sits and his response was much like mine. Other than 2 recent sits all of our sits have been terrific. We have special memories from each of them.

We are looking forward to our up coming sits in the UK. Unfortunately we have had 2 cancellations that we are now trying to fill. We have 5 applications in and we’re fairly confident we’ll be able to fill in the voids left in our plans.

We take loads of pictures at each sit and they are saved in files by location.

3 Likes

Hello @ACLRJM. I’ve never heard of The Conqueror app, but I’m intrigued. My husband and I like to walk a lot, too, so I’ll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you’re enjoying semi-retirement as much as we have experienced. Wondering how you’re finding the chinooks in southern Alberta. You can have a love-hate relationship with the strange weather patterns. I grew up on a farm near Vulcan! :hugs:

1 Like