San Miguel de Allende: Recommendations and meetup

Hi All. I am excited to be sitting in SMA for most of January. I was there once before about 15 years ago, but would love any recommendations from other sitters, or homeowners there. Also, I see lots of sits advertised there, wondering if anyone else will be in the area in January and would like to connect.

2 Likes

Hi @Freebird welcome to the forum we are glad you joined! While I cannot help you with your SMA question I do know that our friend @KarenS was there recently and boy does she know good food! Hopefully when she’s next on the forum she’ll see this and be able to share with you some recommendations.

2 Likes

I spent several weeks there in March/April 2020 participating in a mosaic workshop and ignoring the pandemic as long as possible. If the Chapel of Jimmy Ray/Casa de las Ranas is offering tours be sure to go. It’s a really special artistic compound just outside the city. Look for the big orange cat mosaic, I did the body LOL :slightly_smiling_face: It’s such a great town, so much good food, cool art, great parks. The Restaurant, La Sacristia Cafe, and Panio are a few places we liked, but there are a ton of cool spots. Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi Freebird, lucky you! we did a dream housesit in San Miguel de Allende in May 2021 and liked everything about this beautiful town. So much to do in and around town!
Be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes for all the steep, cobblestone streets!
Not to be missed: Santuario de Atotonilco, 12 km or 8 miles north of San Miguel de Allende, if you have not been there already.
Also, if you fly through Leon and take a shuttle or drive to San Miguel de Allende, allow extra time to stop and visit picturesque Guanajuato, before or after SMA. We spent 2 days in Guanajuato after our SMA sit and loved it! Highly recommend!

6 Likes

Thanks for the great recommendations! I am spending a few days in Guanajuato before I return home so happy to hear you really liked it there.

1 Like

Just thought would give another shout out to see if any sitters are in SMA in January and wanted to meet up. On a related note, would be very cool tool to be able to see where sitters are and directly reach out as I have seen several sits advertised in the area while I am there, but only a small percentage of members are on the forum, so not always easy to locate other folks in the area.

We are sitting in Chapala until Jan 23 and again March 3 to 12. It’s not that close to SMA, but maybe someone reading this is in the Lake Chapala area. My husband and I would enjoy a meet-up, to socialize and compare notes. Gracias!

Yes, SMA is a few hours from there. I did a long sit in Ajijic last year do feel free to reach out if you have questions about the Lake Chápala area!

1 Like

Hi Freebird,
I’ll be doing a dog sit in Ajijic in late March. I’ve never been. Any advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Kim

1 Like

There’s a great trail system there. There’s no actual maps and the trail apps don’t work great. If you’re interested in hiking there is an Ajijic Facebook hiking group they post group hikes twice a week for various levels. I went a few times to get to know the trail system and then felt quite comfortable on my own. There is a lot of loose gravel on the trails, so hiking poles are nice to have.

There’s a nice local market for produce, prepared foods, and things like that in town on Wednesdays off the Main Street in between the street where all the horses are kept (I think it is Revolucion.) There’s also a really nice organic market on Saturdays a bit out of town that I highly recommend.

Teocintle Maiz has great food. Baja Norte was great for cheap fish tacos. They were moving locations when I was there so I’m not entirely sure where they are at the moment. If you have a car, Panchos is the high end grocery store for harder to find healthier foods. They also have a café and a bakery upstairs and often folks are there selling art and playing music.

If you have a way to do a day trip to Tlaquepaque it is a fun visit.

Buen viaje!

1 Like

Thank you so much, Freebird! I never even thought to check out FB groups; such a terrific resource. Much appreciate all the practical tips! Gracias.

1 Like

Hi @KimSneath
A warm welcome to the forum, and I am so pleased you are already getting some great advice.

Please do add your profile link to your forum profile …

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/how-to-add-a-listing-or-profile-link-to-your-forum-profile

Once you add this other members will be able to “meet” you properly

We would love you to keep us posted as well as some photos of your doggie sit and your trail adventures too.

Best wishes
Therese and the forum team.

Hello @KimSneath and welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:
Your profile looks great and I hope you enjoy your time in Ajijic… please share some photos of your doggie sit and various adventures if you can, will be lovely to see :camera::blush: