Saved Search emails and notifications arriving too late

10 out of 10 of my alerts this morning were already reviewing applications by the time I opened them at 7.45am. Its rarely less than 70% of my alerts especially with those in a different timezone. This happens EVERY day. The story spun with the change of policy was that very few listings get to the limit so it would have minimal impact. I’m afraid I beg to differ.

7 Likes

Admin Notice: Conversation moving off topic and temp closed.
Thank you

1 Like

Please keep conversations on topic out of respect for the author.

Thank you

2 Likes

I wish @Ben-ProductManager would address this question. My saved-search emails have been useless for some time. I’ve had to keep a saved search tab open on my browser permanently, which I refresh all the time.

3 Likes

Hi @Lauraa

We are investigating this and will get in touch when we have further information.

Thanks, Ben

2 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager
I submitted a complaint to support about only getting hourly notifications about sits in my saved searches (instead or instantly) and got this as a reply:

"I am sorry to hear about the frustration this may have caused. However,
please note that notifications are sent every hour not instantly. This means if a notification has been sent at 1:45 pm any listing listed between 1.45 pm and the next notification at 2:45 pm can be applied to by anyone who is accessing the website or the app. "

Something i have noticed- if you have an actual sit (not just a filtered search) saved, then you seem to get notified faster possibly (or they just have that hourly notification set for a different time than the search one maybe)

Again- if the 5 app limit were adjusted to allow all applicants for the first 24 hours, this likely wouldn’t have the kind of problematic impact that we are all so frustrated about.

7 Likes

I just got a notif on my phone for a new sit by one of my favourite HOs and I looked at it immediately. It was already at the “reviewing applications” stage and was locked off to new applications.

My question is: how to apply quickly? Do sitters hit the apply to sit button without including a covering letter? I don’t understand how it gets to 5 applications in less than two seconds after the notif comes through…

1 Like

It’s because there is a delay between the time the listing goes live and the notification is sent. It’s mentioned in another thread somewhere, I don’t remember the exact delay but I think they said the notifications run hourly.

3 Likes

Ah, okay, thanks. I thought the notif appears as soon as the listing is posted.

@Karen_E
I see that my question got moved here. I was not asking about the daily email of saved searches. It was for an individual listing that I have favourited via the app on my phone.

In any case, @Lindsay answered my question on the old thread where I posted originally

Hi @cat.tails. I’m glad @Lindsay answered your question. We moved your post here because many of the posts in this thread are regarding saved search notifications, not just about daily emails. I’m sorry that wasn’t clear. In fact, this is where Ben answered the question about when saved search notifications are sent.

Oh I see, I did not realise that the favourites are called “saved search”. My ignorance!

I had thought that what is called a saved search is when we put in specific dates/places/pet type and then we get a daily email. I had not imagined that the favourited listings are called saved searches.

For the past hour or so, I seem to get doubles or triple notifs on my phone of the same saved searches…

1 Like

Just to clarify, “favourites” and “saved searches” are different. I made a post about it:

I think @Lindsay’s comment is about notifications from saved searches and refers to the post below, which is in this same topic (since your post was moved):

So I really don’t know why your favorite notification wasn’t instant. Maybe it’s not “instant instant” but can take a few minutes to go through the system?

You could try contacting support like @Ksquared did and ask specifically about notifications from favorites. Let us know what they say!

@geoff.hom
Not sure if the above post was intended for me but thanks for the info! You clear up what I had thought in the past, as opposed to what I have read in this thread regarding my last 4 posts here. Yes, I was originally talking about saved (individual) listings which I referred to as favourites - the notifs come through to my phone but the problem is/was that when I receive them (supposedly instantly) they are already at the reviewing applications stage or even at the “Currently no sitter needed” stage.

Re the saved searches (ie searches that are specifically defined by filters including date/pet type/city or country etc), I get them as a daily email on my laptop. But in the past few days they started to come through on my phone as notifs as well, with a message “It’s a match!” (see image attached, ignore the other stuff in the pic ) - but btw the notif re the listing in Isleworth is what I call a favourite aka saved listing (not saved search).

I won’t contact @Ksquared via support but if they read this post, my original question about a saved listing notif was posted here (see above these posts to 26 Jan):

I just got a notif on my phone for a new sit by one of my favourite HOs and I looked at it immediately . It was already at the “reviewing applications” stage and was locked off to new applications.

4 Likes

I’m just a user of the platform that put in my experience with this thread and what I got from support when I asked them about this issue. I don’t work with support

1 Like

oh whoops, sorry about that. I misread Geoff’s post

1 Like

That screenshot helps a lot, thanks! I have never gotten any notifications to work on the app, but I haven’t really tried as I like keeping my phone “quiet.”

Note that saved searches made on the app are different than those made on the website. I think some people even label their saved searches to keep track, like “Seattle (app)” vs “Dallas (web).” I believe app ones result in app notifications; web ones result in emails.

That said, @Ben-ProductManager has always said they are trying to bring app and web to feature parity, which makes sense.

So we still have the same question:

• For a favourite/heart of a single listing made on the app, what happens when that listing has new dates? Is a notification sent immediately? After a few minutes? Every hour?
  • You can ask Ben who is probably very busy. You can and should contact support, because you pay for that already with your membership. They have an email, or you can call them, or contact them via the TH website/app (e.g., the lower-left corner chat button).
    • If you do, please let us know what they say. =)
2 Likes

I find it confusing (and maybe disappointing) that the app and desktop version favourites are different. I hope they can be synchronised sometime soon-ish in the future. Tbh I prefer to do THS stuff on my laptop not my phone. That said, I favourited a lot of listings on the app on my phone recently. I have lost track of what was saved where and I won’t be redoing it on both devices :crazy_face:

I have decided to basically forget about my saved listings and searches in any meaningful way (or at least based on notifs arriving). I will manually checked my saved searches several times a day when I’m in the mood for it. That also means that the daily email will be a bit pointless as it will arrive after I have checked the new listings based on my saved search dates.

I won’t be contacting Ben or support about this because I think we can get decent feedback here and I don’t want to start again and explain all this again in an email :upside_down_face:

Btw I wonder what is the point of saving listings as favourites on the desktop version if we never get notifs about them having new dates???

3 Likes

Hi @cat.tails @geoff.hom
I wanted to confirm that it does not matter where you ‘favourite’ listings, be it on the website or the phone. They will all come through as notifications on your phone.
Your saved searches are sent through according to where you set them up. Phone = notifications and laptop/website = emails.

As far as I am aware, the notifications are sent out within the hour of the listing going live, so they may be visible on the website before the notification arrives.

I tend to use my phone mainly to set up saved searches and watch for ‘favoured’ notifications, but messaging and applications I do through my laptop, as I find it hard to type without errors on the phone!

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

This just really gets more and more confusing.
I use the website on my laptop only, where there’s no point in pressing heart/favourite because I will never be notified of anything.
The saved-search emails arrive so late they are now useless.
Like someone above I have a saved search open in my browser all the time, sorted by Distance. When I remember I refresh the page, and sometimes I see listings early enough to apply for them.

5 Likes