Sept book club discussion?

Thank you @geoff.hom! It’s been quite the education!!
Ok great, I’ll download Google Meet and see what needs sorting for the call.
Unfortunately I can’t do Oct 10 (or any other evenings in the week next week!), so I’m hoping we can go ahead with Oct 8 3pm EST.
I have messaged the author again but no response as yet, so it’s not looking likely I’m afraid!
I will try to message everyone in the book club about the meet up :sweat_smile:
Yes I’m not sure either - it could well be 3 or 4 having just re-read this thread. I love that road trip analogy Geoff! How lovely.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m hoping this is all the people that originally replied to the book club discussion message.

Just to keep you all in the loop we decided to read the book “Retirement Rebel” by Siobhan Daniels. It’s fairly short and easy to read (around 200 pages) so seemed a good choice. Amazon link below :slight_smile:

We are going to be having a Google Meet call on Sunday Oct 8 at 3pm EST (8pm BST for anyone my side of the pond!) to discuss the book. I was hopeful the author may join us but she hasn’t got back to me so its likely to be just us housesitters! If you can join us, please do.

@Karen_E @Landbiscuit @geoff.hom @Southernsitter, @Samox24, @mars, @sledgejoyce, @luckycat, @SoloTraveler, @Catgoddess_99

1 Like

@Cuttlefish, @CanadianLynda, @andrealovesanimals, @MaggieUU, @laura358, @Carla, @FluffyFriends, @Mmasters1111, @Tgo53, @AlisonFagan

@Angela_L

It would only let me tag 10 of you in a post, so I’ve had to spit you all up - weird!

I completely understand @hitchedandhiking and that’s no problem at all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Angela_L @Sitandsat

Hi all, please see above message about the author of Retirement Rebel being able to join our discussion on Oct 8 3pm EST.

@Cuttlefish, @CanadianLynda, @andrealovesanimals, @MaggieUU, @laura358, @Carla, @FluffyFriends, @Mmasters1111, @Tgo53, @AlisonFagan

Hi all, please see above message about the author of Retirement Rebel being able to join our discussion on Oct 8 3pm EST.

@Karen_E @Landbiscuit @geoff.hom @Southernsitter, @Samox24, @mars, @sledgejoyce, @luckycat, @SoloTraveler, @Catgoddess_99

I’ve had a message from Siobhan Daniels, the author of Retirement Rebel, to say she can join our online discussion about her book on Sunday 8th October at 3pm EST.
I will send a link out over the weekend with joining instructions.
Hopefully some of you can join us - even if you haven’t had time to finish the book. I believe Siobhan has done some housesitting as well as travelling around in her motorhome so I’m sure the chat will be interesting to everyone.
Thanks
Jess

3 Likes

@hitchedandhiking Jess, That’s great news that Siobhan will be joining us! Looking forward to chatting with everyone. When you send out the link to the Google meet, please confirm the time in the multiple time zones. We are still on daylight savings time in the US so 3:00 p.m. EST is 4:00 p.m. EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). I don’t want to miss the chat because I am too early or too late :smile_cat: :alarm_clock:
Thanks for setting everything up!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind invite @hitchedandhiking & book :closed_book: lovers. I think till we’re out of Asia the time zones are too tricky. November is looking good :raised_hands:t3: Enjoy the book and author :writing_hand:

1 Like

Good morning all
Please see Google Meet link below for our Book Club discussion tomorrow.

October Book Club - Retirement Rebel :open_book:
Sunday, October 8 :spiral_calendar:
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/pkk-ffqx-swo

The free version allows 1 hour max for video calls which should keep our discussion on track.

TIME OF MEETING :alarm_clock:
8pm BST (UK/Europe, GMT +1)
3pm EDT (US, GMT -4)
12pm PDT (US, GMT -7)

Any issues with the meeting link, or confusion over the meeting time, please let me know! :smiley:

It would be great if you can join us, even if you haven’t finished the book yet. I think the author will be interested in housesitting as well!

Looking forward to chatting with you and the author tomorrow.

Thanks
Jess

@geoff.hom @Landbiscuit @Karen_E @Sitandsat @mars

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @hitchedandhiking! Looks like our streak of having the author continues!

Everyone: As Jess mentioned, anyone is welcome even if you haven’t finished the book (or started? :grin:). I’m pretty sure Siobhan just loves connecting with other like-minded people, which sounds like anyone on TH :blush:. Perhaps a slight bent toward any and all women. :sweat_smile:

You can read more about Siobhan Daniels by googling her, including articles about her. Here’s one:

Looks like our Google Meet starts in less than an hour!

Jess: The 1-h timer should start as soon as the first person (i.e., you) joins the meeting.

1 Like

@hitchedandhiking and @Landbiscuit: Jess, please do share the link for your first book! Curious.

Newsletter:

This is the video: TrustedHousesitters on Instagram: "Every pet sitter knows there’s nothing quite like a kitty finally entrusting you with the impawtant duties of tummy tickles. 🐈 _ Thanks to @hitchedhikingandhousesitting for today’s #TrustedTales.🐾"

This is the newsletter from my browser (not sure if it’ll work): http://view.emails.trustedhousesitters.com/?qs=c176ea8f5b11aa760a4c2977eca214dc01e325357c588208fad3d1d613d83e6e0de3835ea9a23de06f4d17908f9433400731fb77e41d3e7b1cc0890ab536206ae3bb83de2a986970fc19f5e9800eaa68

Or DM me and I can forward the email newsletter to your email.

More about Siobhan Daniels, our book author in … 35 minutes:

I just love that pic. Here, Siobhan is volunteering on a farm, collecting horse :poop:, and loving it!

1 Like

We had a great discussion today with Siobhan Daniels, the author of the book Retirement Rebel. If you haven’t read the book yet, it is very interesting and a quick read. Siobhan also has a blog and she posts on Instagram if you want to follow her.
Thanks @hitchedandhiking for setting up the meeting. Thanks @geoff.hom for posting the links about Siobhan and for the THS instagram and newsletter.

3 Likes

Thank you @Landbiscuit and @geoff.hom for a great chat last night with Siobhan Daniels. She was very passionate about campaigning against ageism and we had an interesting discussion about societies’ expectations of people of a certain age! Her book is a very enjoyable read.

@geoff.hom thank you for posting the newsletter, that’s so nice to see.
You asked for the link to my first book! It’s called “The Housesitter’s Guide to the Galaxy” and is about my journey to being a full time housesitter across the world. It is a guide on how to be a successful housesitter and also how to be an environmentally-friendly traveller.
There is also a kindle edition for those on-the-move! It is released on 23rd October :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi @hitchedandhiking your book looks great and I’m looking forward to reading it soon :closed_book::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks again for suggesting Siobhan’s book, @hitchedandhiking. And for moderating. I have a feeling the world will hear more of Siobhan in the near future.

I keep wondering if we should gift the authors a year of TH. Maybe not even mentioning it until afterward, just as a “thank you.” What do you think, @Karen_E?

Jess, as for your book, I can’t imagine a more perfect title!!! Hitchhiker’s was my favorite book as a teenager. Of course, I’m sure your book will read differently. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Geoff :smiley: Thanks for loving the title. It was my husband’s idea, and my publisher loved it so there we go!!! It’s exciting stuff. But yes, very different to Hitchhiker’s guide :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes