Share a short festive “tail” and we’ll donate $50 to your favorite animal or pet registered charity

Always.
Thank you for sharing such a deeply personal example of the healing power of love.
Happy life to you and yours @Joanne

3 Likes

Our family thanks you for the kind wishes @Amparo.

1 Like

After 8 plus years of full time pet and house sitting we had long ago accepted that holidays would probably be limited to just the two of us. We developed traditions in our travels that worked for us and made us feel a little closer to friends and family.

One year, though, we spent an extended period of time sitting in a very small and remote part of Mexico. While there weren’t a lot of people around, those that were formed a close community and we quickly became fast friends with a local family.

While we were planning to do our own traditional Christmas that year, they had other ideas. They invited us to their home for Christmas Eve. We accepted without knowing what to expect. What a delightful decision that was. The whole extended family was there, dozens of people! There were loads of presents, new and delicious foods to try that we never would have discovered on our own, and so much laughter. The night went long, so super long. The kids didn’t even start opening presents until well after midnight. But we hung in there and were rewarded with a middle of the nights fireworks display to cap everything off. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and we have gone on to become good friends with that family, even as we moved on in the world. Pets are our favorite part of the sitting experience, but it’s a bonus when you can also make lifelong friends.

Housesitting has its up and downs, particularly over the last couple years. But then we have these incredible memories of celebration and connection that remind us why we do what we do. Happy Holidays to all around the world!

7 Likes

Happy Holidays @Dannep thank you so much for sharing.

Unforgettable memories often come from the most unexpected moments. we had the same experience in Spain 6 years ago … the people we meet along the way make this a very special life and community.

Is there a deadline for this Vanessa? Just wondering if Christmas sit tails for this Christmas of 2021 can be included?

1 Like

Hi @Globetrotter there is a December 15th deadline for story submissions as we do want to get the charitable donations to our members chosen charities in time for Christmas, but do keep any 2021 stories in your memory box as we will do this again next year

Our members can always share the story of the how, why and where of their 2021 Christmas sits, for instance why they chose the one that they have and from owner members, what will Christmas bring to them … there is often a story behind every sit arrangement, take Julie’s story about her Christmas yet to come and what a lovely story it is too. Thanks for asking Annette

2 Likes

Thanks Angela!

1 Like

My favorite sit over the holidays was with my home dog Homer. It was in Dusseldorf, several years ago. I chose it because Homer looked and sounded amazing (and he was). I’ve been on the road a long time so I’m used to not really celebrating Christmas much. This home owner put up a tree for me to enjoy, even though they’d be gone. I really appreciated that and enjoyed sitting with just the tree lights on cuddling with the home dog every night. He was a giant floof of a samoyed and walking him was hilarious. It’s not (or wasn’t at the time) a popular breed of dog in Germany (they were expats) so everywhere I went, EVERYONE wanted to meet him. People found him fascinating. Thankfully he was a giant loveable ham and totally dug all the attention.

My favorite encounter was with a little girl. We were walking in the park and she was just enthralled by the floof of it all. She spoke to me in German, but my German is basically limited to “where’s the toilet” and “one beer please” so I didn’t understand her. She didn’t speak English. She was so sad we couldn’t communicate and turned to her dad to ask for help - in Spanish. When I started speaking to her in Spanish she was SO excited that she could ask me 1001 questions and we sat on a bench for about 10 minutes while she gently pet his head and played with his ears, he blissed out, and she talked my ears off about dogs. As they were leaving, her dad told me it made her day and now she was going to want a homer of her own. :slight_smile:

The biggest thing I learned from the sit (aside from how awesome he was) was to ask if there are stairs. Thank god Germany is so do friendly because they were on the 5th (6th for americans) floor with no elevator. So taking him out was not enjoyable. Which meant once we were out, we stayed out for HOURS. lol. We enjoyed taking naps together on our return home. He was a huge cuddle bug.

It won’t let me embed an image, but here’s my home dog. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

6 Likes

Hi @Vanessa_A . Just checking whether THS has contacted those who contributed “tails” yet for details of which pet charity they would like the $50 donated to as I haven’t heard anything. Thank you.

1 Like

Great minds @temba … It’s on my list for this morning to see how we best handle this with the team. Will update later today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you to all who submitted a Tail from Christmas Past - we enjoyed reading these as I’m sure everyone else did too!

@Margaret @temba @JackieX @Southernsitter @Timmy @Joanne @Dannep @CreatureCuddler

Our Marketing Executive @holly.m will be contacting each of you by direct message over the next few days to get the details of which pet charity you would like to help with the $50 donation made on your behalf. This will need to be a charity that accepts online donations… so please keep that in mind.

Thank you once again and here’s to creating many more new stories of happy pets, sitters and owners over the upcoming holiday season! :evergreen_tree: :paw_prints: :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

Congratulations everyone!

That’s a lovely Christmas present for our charities, thank you
Jackie

As @Vanessa_A has said thank you for sharing your stories and for helping your chosen charities …

2 Likes

This is so awesome. I hope it’s ok to share the charities we’re supporting here so others can take a look? If not, please feel free to nuke my post.

I posted to support Bankso Street Dogs (Redirecting...). They’re a small charity in Bansko, Bulgaria, run by a couple of British Expats. They rescue dogs off the streets in Bulgaria, get them fixed and vaccinated and any other health issues taken care of, then they keep them at the facility until they can be adopted out. They frequently bring dogs to the UK for adoption too.

I spend a lot of time in Bansko and one of the co-founders is a friend of mine. I go and walk the dogs when I’m able and they’ve become my go-to charity as they have a TON of need and they are completely funded by donations.

Even if you can’t donate or participate in one of their online fundraising raffles, it would be great if you could go to their page and like them and/or share their info with others. They are really doing great work and all out of love for the dogs.

6 Likes

Well I confess I misunderstood what we were doing here. I thought this was a contest.
Bwuahahahahahaha
I am creating new ones for next time.
Meanwhile I will donate to the shelter where my girl adopted her Kiddo.

2 Likes

No @Amparo I’m sorry I thought it was really clear we decided to “reward” our wonderful festive storytellers with a contribution to a charity of their choice. … and you being such a good storyteller :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It’s all good.
The lesson here for me is pay attention and if unclear ask questions.
Here’s one to make you giggle.

My attempts at getting a selfie with pets.

Going to use it as is in my profile too!
Forget perfection!

5 Likes

Thanks for this wonderful idea! We picked Tierhilfe Korfu: they helped us with a stray kitty that we found years ago on the island. It had lost an eye and was almost dead, but now it’s alive and well with her cat mummy in Germany.

4 Likes

Thanks THS for enabling worthy charities to benefit from our “tails”.
My charity is Mount Alexander Animal Welfare Inc (MAAW)
MAAW (Mount Alexander Animal Welfare Inc) – Castlemaine | MAAW Op Shop Empawrium
When the RSPCA decided to close the Castlemaine Animal Shelter in 2017, the community rallied together to take on the running of the facility and through hard work and vision, have enabled the animal shelter to remain open, largely due to the funds raised from the charity shop that was established; our Mount Alexander Shire Council awarding the pound contract to MAAW; and donations. MAAW bought the shelter from the RSPCA in 2018. Improvements have been made, especially with the building of a new cattery. I am proud to be a member and a volunteer of this worthy cause.
MAAW also works with the community to support a range of initiatives that promote the welfare of native wildlife and domestic animals.

4 Likes