Sitters applying just as an intro but not for my dates

We’ve had a few sitters send us an introduction as an application with no intention of sitting for us over Christmas. I understand that they would like to sit for us at a more convenient time, but they are taking up one of the five spots available. We can see who has chosen our place as a favorite and we appreciate the interest, therefore we would prefer to only deal with applicants for the stated days. Has anyone else had this issue? Do you send a note back or just decline and free up the spot?

2 Likes

That’s rather strange and annoying for you and potential sitters with the current pause at 5 applications.

3 Likes

That’s another issue with the 5 application rule. THS really didn’t think this through or just aren’t interested in providing a satisfactory service any longer.

9 Likes

You can always reject them and reopen applications. I’ve had people contact me this way too, but in my case, I found it helpful as I did contact them later! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi @Jennifergo - I used to send an introductory message occasionally if I found a sit particularly interesting. I explained that we could not do their advertised dates (usually because we already had a sit) but would look out for future listings.
It is a good way to open dialogue and more often than not we received a short thank you message which was nice or even an offer of dates later in the year.
I don’t send as many speculative messages now or favourite many listings as we are doing far less sits.

5 Likes

I too used to do this. If sitters are going to do it still, they should send the message & then withdraw immediately to alleviate the Rule of 5 problem.
I’m not advocating doing it, just suggesting a work around.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m sorry this is a problem. We’ve also done the same-usually when a HO indicates that they “travel on a regular basis” or “like to take 2 holiday trips a year”. I start out with informing them that I’m not able to sit at this time and to reject the application right away. I let them know when I would be available if it corresponds with future sits they might have.
I hope this doesn’t cause too much inconvenience with homeowners.
Dan

5 Likes

I have done this as a sitter, and received these messages as a HO. I would decline them without a message, or just a “Thanks for your interest” comment.

1 Like

Reading the answers, I am actually amazed at how many sitters (used to) do this!

I never did. Surely favouriting the sit is enough if you want to be aware of future dates?

I can imagine as an owner this must be rather annoying, even before the rule of 5.

(Not passing any judgement by the way, each one of us does what they feel is best!)

6 Likes

One reason to apply even if you can’t do the dates, is to open the dialogue with HOs. That makes it easier for each of you to contact the other in future, Without this initial contact, HOs and sitters can’t contact each other except to apply for or invite someone to a future sit.

I am very happy that I contacted one HO even though I couldn’t do her requested dates. She lives in the town where I was raised and I was able to connect with her for a hike when I next visited, even though I wasn’t sitting for her.

12 Likes

This is what I do now, with an explanation to that effect. It confuses people and I’m not a huge fan of doing it, but it’s the only way to open a channel of communication, full stop. And as I’ve said elsewhere, I will often write a HO for a sit I’m able to do with a clarifying question or some such. It feels really unfair to my fellow sitters, but it’s the only workaround I know about at the moment.

4 Likes

Hi @Jennifergo My preferred area for sits is one that is extremely popular. I often see, at the start of those listings, a prominent note from owners asking that sitters not apply unless they are available for the specific listed dates. You may want to consider doing that. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It’s important to explain the reasons why you behave like this , apologizing and explaining you will cancel your application in order not to prevent the HO from receiving real applications for their dates
It’s the only way to contact HO as once they select a sitter or review/ receive 5 applications, the listing vanishes…
Saving a listing does not allow HS to be able to contact HO

2 Likes

I’m new to participating on the Forum though not new to THS. I’m planning a 3 month trip to England and Europe next year so decided to create a favourites list, hoping that the system will alert me when my appropriate dates come into play. I did wonder about reaching out to certain favourites but having read the various very helpful comments listed here, I’ve decided to be patient and trust to the format.

1 Like

Hi @Heather3 and welcome. If I understand you correctly you will get alerts when dates become live for your ‘favourites’. I believe from other sitters that the alerts reach you more quickly via the app. You are unable to contact a ‘favourite’ unless they have a live listing which has not already reached the application limit. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

Thank you Twitcher for your reply and back up, much appreciated.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

You say that “Perhaps those folks should be banned for a year?” - I don’t know if you are referring to the sitter or HO or both. Either way, I don’t agree.

I’m a HO and if a wonderful sitter contacts me and asks to be considered for a future date, and I use that sitter later, I should be banned? Why should I be forced to go through the listing process and interview other applicants when I might have the perfect sitter just waiting to be invited?

Even if you think that only the sitter should be banned, I disagree. What if a sitter is invited to a repeat sit without having gone through the application process? Have they “…cut in front of people who follow the proper rules”? They are already known to the HO, just like the people who ask to be considered for future sits.

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Hi @snowfire and not quite sure which folks you are referring to.
I would say that I/we didn’t change the rules and move the goalposts and are just working with what we have got.

2 Likes