Sitters For A Dog Who Can't Be Left Alone

Didn’t mean to create any fuss. I agree many people leave their dogs at home when they go to work! We simply work from home and so our dog doesn’t get left alone a lot. He is a rescue and was destructive when left alone in his last home–we had to promise to buy a crate before adopting him and he is fine with being crated when we’re out for 2-3, 3-4 hours. So we have special needs for our pup, that are specific to him!

2 Likes

@GreggGonsalves Thank you for adopting a rescue and for being upfront about what your dog needs to be comfortable. What you are asking will not be unreasonable for many sitters. My comments about leaving dogs alone were not meant to be directed at you. I sometimes foster dogs with separation anxiety and other issues and must stay at home a lot to help resolve these issues so they can be adopted. I am hopeful that you can find wonderful sitters to care for your sweet pup.

4 Likes

I think every dog is different and has different needs and temperaments. I have a little Maltese who is super needy, so I hear your concerns about not wanting to leave your dog alone for more than 3-4 hrs. I had really good luck for the most part with my sitters on here. Being honest in your profile and ensuring they understand your pet’s needs is essential. Most people here care deeply about pets, but others also have their own agenda, so discussing beforehand is important. Beware of sitters who don’t have much experience with dogs (or they only have reviews from people with cats) - I only say this because they might not quite understand that dogs cannot be left alone for long periods of time as cats can be.
I always ask my sitters not to leave my dog alone longer than 5 hours and not make a daily habit of it (if they’re here for more than 2 days). Although my dog mostly naps while he’s alone, he is very sensitive and gets scared easily. Anyway, I am certain you’ll find the right sitter - always ask questions and follow your gut, if someone doesn’t feel right or you have start getting doubs, keep searching; sometimes when you find the right person here you just know.

1 Like

I agree: honesty is the best policy. Right now, we’re not traveling this summer, so have some time to figure THS out and how it all works. Will start writing to some people on THS in my area, as for shorter stays, people from farther away may not want to step in. Luke is great. Lots to explore with him in New Haven and surrounding areas. And with his special need–one crating per day for 3-4 hours–there is a lot one can do in this walkable city. Restaurants, visit Yale (I’ll arrange a tour!), see a play, visit a museum, go to a concert!

1 Like

I work remotely and I have done many sits where the dog has never left my side. I just like the company of dogs and my favorite activity is exploring the outdoors with a trusty dog by my side. I think for me it would depend on the location and trails in the area, and how comfortable and clean the house is. Just because being with a dog 24/7 and if you are not in a comfortable place, would be a deal breaker, but if it is a great location, with lots of trails, it is doable. You may consider hiring a sitter or offering some food delivery as it would be changing to eat it you can’t shop!

2 Likes

So, CT is a small state, and it is suprisingly rural for a state so close to NYC! We have lots of trails nearby within walking distance (East Rock and West Rock), but a short drive opens up a whole lot more (2023 Best 10 Trails and Hikes in Connecticut | AllTrails). The house was just renovated a few years ago, has central air/heat, washer/dryer, two bedrooms to choose from (and one that is now a home office), we have a back patio and then a communal backyard with a grill and we are next to a park as well. Shopping is easy too and could be done with Luke in the crate for a bit, but also would gladly stock up on any THS visitor likes in terms of foods/drink too! I think New Haven is a great little city and am happy to talk about what the house is like, what the neighborhood is like, what the city is like and what the state is like to anyone who is interested!

Drugs! Your dog needs drugs! Seriously. Talk to your vet. If the dog is that stressed out he is not having a good quality of life. Trazadone can be a miracle - it might take a while to get the right dose, but well worth it. Gabapentin also works for many dogs. I’ve heard some people have success with Thundershirts - but no one I know.

My own dog was always a bit skittish/high strung but I managed it with lots of routine - (lots of advice online) but recently, as a geriatric she suffers night terrors and trazadone has been a life saver for both of us.

He’s is not generally anxious. He doesn’t like kennels and being left alone for long periods of time. Otherwise low-key, friendly and affectionate pup! I’ve thought of trazodone for the kennel but then discovered THS. Better to keep him at home with people who will care for him than put him in a setting where he’s alone in the kennel surrounded by lots of other barking dogs.

2 Likes

Just to note something, if a sitter wants to explore an area, it doesn’t lessen their level of care. Spending 8 or so hours asleep in a home, perhaps 6-8 hours with a pet and then using the remaining time to explore an area, handle things they came to do, etc does not reduce how much care a sitter can give.

It is so important to not diminish people based on our own ideals as everyone comes from different backgrounds and is juggling different things. Some people will love being at home with the pets all day. Other people have to do things while house sitting but will come home to spend plenty of time cuddling, playing and sharing with the pets.

For example, if a mom traveling with a child house sits a condo with a community pool, she doesn’t provide less care by taking her child to the pool for a few hours and then to lunch, the park, etc. I’m sure when they head into the condo, the mom and child are eager to play, walk, and share with the house pets.

2 Likes