Sitters more interested in a place to stay than your pets

I’m sorry you’re having this experience. Of course where we sit is very important to us but THE MOST important and the focus must be on your pets. By reviewing the sitters’ pictures and background, you should get a sense of their sincerity. If you don’t ‘feel’ them, pass them by. Bedt of luck!

2 Likes

Warning to others don’t try reading forum posts after a very large rum.

I read that as sanitised…. Twice

3 Likes

I first learned about THS in an article in the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) 2017 magazine. The article was titled “Inexpensive ways to Travel, for Seniors”. THS was one of 50 ways, listed. As soon as I read that I could travel and have the company of pets, I was intrigued.

Although the title of the article was generic about travel, it was the mission of THS that drew me in. I knew it was perfect for me both as a pet/homeowner and as a person who loves to travel but would miss having a pet with me. I think if THS keeps reinforcing that the site was designed around people who have pets and love to travel, all will be well.

I’m fortunate to have had all lovely petsitters and homeowners with great pets. When I describe THS to others, I always emphasize taking care of the pets as a plus part of it.

I tend not to select sits with pets who can’t be left alone for a few hours as I’m retired, not a digital nomad but I always let people know that I will do my sightseeing around their pet’s schedules and routines.

When selecting a sitter I read the reviews carefully. I live in a desirable tourist location so I really strive to assess a person’s motivation for coming. So far I’ve done well and haven’t yet noticed a difference between pre-Covid to now. I only travel 1-2 times/year.

11 Likes

I am responding as both a pet sitter and home owner.

The sit needs to be a win win. As a HO, I expect sitters to explore the area while taking loving care of my pet. I’m not home every minute with my pet and I wouldn’t expect a sitter to be either.

As a sitter, I expect to have an opportunity to explore the area, enjoy the home, etc. I love animals and take excellent, loving care of them, but the sit shouldn’t be all work no play for me.

I think some HO put more demands on their sitters then they actually do themselves. Do all HO really walk their dog 4 times a day? Maybe. Never leave their pets for more than a couple of hours? Maybe. Constantly play with and snuggle with their pets? Maybe. We all have lives to live and other responsibilities and HO should be realistic and appreciative that they have a free sitter.

Of course, if something doesn’t sound right to you, take a polite pass and find a better match.

27 Likes

@anon36831737 yes, isn’t it lovely coming home to someone/something that is glad to see you? Even though it’s only for food sometimes. It makes it so much better than staying in a hotel, nevermind how friendly the receptionist is :slight_smile:

5 Likes

High risk messages on that headline! If THS is wanting animal loving sitters they’re going about it the wrong way if they’re approving headlines like that.

1 Like

I LOVE HOUSE SITTING!

1. Looking after animals is therapeutic & i love them! I suffer anxiety so it is good for my soul and the love the animals receive from me and my kids is plentiful. The children get an understanding of care and respecting other people’s properties.

2. I like to clean and I am one of those people that enjoy cleaning as it actually is also therapeutic but I am not going to say YES to a house sit where the house is already messy and full of clutter and I did not sign up to spend all my time house cleaning!. I have noticed my cleaning standards have improved since starting house sitting. I was not so bad originally but the feedback I receive now would make my mother proud. :grinning:

3. Yes, I did apply for a house sit just so I could stay in the same town my footy team were playing but it was just an 80 minute game with one hour travel to there and back but most of the time was spent enjoying the company of the pets and the homeowner encouraged us to sight see! I won’t say NO to doing this again but I probably would do a solo sit if my footy team make the grand final! These homeowners want us back as well!

5 Likes

I agree with all you say except

I think there are around 50,000 sitters on this site that might disagree with you - I thought we all enjoyed house sitting?

8 Likes

Maybe i need to rephrase this one. I am tired after travelling home from a house sit today…

I was really cross with that Headline as it is the polar opposite to what this is all about. We housesit because we want to help pets and people out - we are actually housesitters not tourists - there is a huge difference and I can only imagine how the pets needs are not met by the ‘tourists!’. It creates the wrong impression. It should be a win win situation - not a use use one! Thanks for highlighting!

3 Likes

hi . Yes we started sitting for accommodation around the world. We rented out our house and went for it traveling the world. Spending about £1000 a month on accommodation which was draining our retirement fund. we were ready to go back to work. Then we met another couple who in. We loved animals actually missed not having pets. introduced us to THS.
So yes were are actually very interested in a place to stay , but most sitters on here are doing,( i believe,) it for free anyway ,
We where straight up on our life style on our profile. it was a win win. A jet life for us. until covid. Also we really cared for your homes and pets. Allowing owners a relaxing holiday with daily updates and photos. Which also allows owners to change request if they thought they had missed anything before they went away.
Any new place we requested a little longer time to get to know your pets and routines which also allow us to site see your area. We then to devote 100% of our time looking after your home and pets. We made a lot of new friends all over the world. They welcome the honesty and most delighted even to be our tour guides before or after their holidays. Interested in our travels. One has actually copied our life now after losing his companion.
So to answer your question, accommodation is a driving force behind THS.
THS should be a win win situation.
Your question should really have been how to weed out non pets lovers.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question…as a sitter, what do I do if after a few days, I suddenly realize I’m afraid of the pets, let’s say horses, after assuring the HO that I love them (which I do). Would it look like I’m there just interested in a place to stay if they have to arrange for help?

2 Likes

Meant to write Lose/use

2 Likes

I totally agree! I’ve used TH for around 10 years and, until recently, never had a problem. Minor issues yes but problems no. Recent Housesitter who I’d communicated with loads clearly wanted a holiday not a Housesitter. “It was her holiday of a lifetime”. Result, she left 5 days into a 15 day sit so we had to abandon our holiday. It was too hot for her (Spain), and our animals weren’t as well behaved as hers. A rooster, might have been ours but we live amongst farms, woke her up and our cats killed some birds. Can’t really plan for that. My profile is very realistic about my animals.

1 Like

The best thing to do is be super clear and super specific in your listing. Fritzi needs to go out in the morning between xyz. She can then be left for xyz hours. Our house is xyz minutes by metro/bus/walking to the - whatever attractions.

The more detailed and specific you can be about the pet’s needs, and your location, the easier it is for everyone. I helped a friend sign up recently needing a sitter for two weeks for two small dogs in a somewhat isolated location one hour outside Washington DC and we found a great sitter within hours because the listing was extremely detailed with 20+ photos.

9 Likes

I suggest you speak to a member of the THS team about your current sit and feeling fearful of the horses. Not sure who so will ta @Angela_L and @Snowbird

2 Likes

@Katie thank you for tagging me. @emmieo I’ll tag @Therese from membership services, who will see this when she’s next online tomorrow morning, UK time. Therese will contact you directly by email, so please watch for her email.

As the pets/animals must be a priority, as I see you are doing, please keep in mind that there is a 24/7 Vet Advice Line that’s available to you as part of your membership, if you have any immediate questions.

All discussion concerning your sit will now be taken away from the public forum, to assure privacy for you and the owner. I hope all goes well for you.

Francine
Volunteer moderator :canada:

1 Like

Is this happening more in Europe as opposed to the U.S. and Canada. I agree is to ask " potential sitters" why they chose to apply? I’m an animal lover, and retired and really feel this ultimately is the perfect way to blend both, although I’ve stayed closer to home in some of my sits. I also feel that people should "highlight " their pet’s in photos more so than home snd location, although those are slso important. Personally, going with gut instinct and really looking at their profile and reviews will gives you a better overview of the sitters intention.

2 Likes

Hi there. Member since 2014. Did about 15 sittings, all 5 * as I was still working and couldn’t do more. Stayed member during pandemic to support THS business.
Now retired, I plan to do a lot more. But not full time as I have a permanent place to stay.
I do house and pet sittings because :
:white_check_mark: yes I like travelling and I am into the slow mood of it. THS allows me to do so.:
:white_check_mark: yes I like the economy provided by the free housing and the visits I can do around
:white_check_mark: Yes I enjoy the community of services’s exchanges created between Ho and petsitters.
:white_check_mark: yes I love animals and had some most of my life but none since about 5 years.
:white_check_mark: Yes I clean, to the HO standards, keep a good care of the house as if it was mine and follows all the rules given about the furry friends.
:white_check_mark: and yes, I sometimes stay home all day, for fun, to write, because it rains or just for a cozy time with my four or two legged new pals.

All those above in the order you want to put them.

This being said. Can we enjoy what we are doing, reports the goods and the bads but not compare or point toward others ?

And as I will be gone more and more, if someone was in the Montréal area , between two sittings, and needed a place to stay, my condo could be yours.

Amen.

21 Likes

Brilliant! I know I am. :clap:t4:

9 Likes