Sleeping with dogs & early morning dog walks – not discussed before arrival

As a 50-something, I’ve happily sat for 20-somethings to 70-somethings, enjoyed getting to know them, have been part of expressing mutual appreciation and have been invited back. And though I enjoy lots of lounging, stairs haven’t been an issue, including multiple four-story sit homes and one sit at a historical home with a tiny spiral staircase over a few floors.

It seems common sense to me to discuss walks and routine timing for pets, before deciding whether to accept any sit or not, unless you’re completely flexible as a sitter. And I’m perfectly fine sleeping with pets, but if I weren’t, I’d certainly ask about that before taking any sit.

All dealbreakers should be discussed, rather than assumed. Raising that is the responsibility of the person with the dealbreaker, since the other person would have to mind read otherwise.

My comment about the owners’ age was, of course, unnecessary, and I made an incorrect assumption. Based on my previous experience, if owners considered something important or non-negotiable, they usually mentioned it during video calls. If it wasn’t mentioned, it was typically something we could discuss and adjust together.

In this case, the owners were not keen on having a video call at all, and I was the one who insisted on it. Yes, I didn’t clarify their daily routine in enough detail, and going forward I will definitely take this into account.

Yes, you are right, thank you.

As a sitter honestly these are questions I ask in advance so I know whether I want to accept. One sit said i had to feed a cat at 5am. I politely declined the sit. I know they can’t control the cat but I have insomnia and that is prime sleeping time

Why does age matter in this ?

Tell us you haven’t read all the replies on this thread without telling us.