Yes, I totally agree with you
Sure, I should have asked, next time it’s gonna be at my list of questions which i normally ask.
Yes, totally. But we figured this out! Thank you so much!
For me amount of dogs is not a problem, especially those are small dogs (almost all of them pomeranian shpitz).
Yes, it’s probably could be a big change for them. I agree with you. But in either situations they still have a huuuuge garden where they can play, run and do their toilet things.
Sure, agree with you! Thank you for the comment and advices
Next time for sure I’'ll not forget to ask.
There is also a large garden here where the dogs can run freely, play, and take care of their toilet needs. This sit is on an island, and our walks are on the beach.
Being a tropical island, there are really only two suitable times for longer walks: early in the morning or later in the evening — after sunrise and before sunset. During the rest of the day, it’s usually too hot for the dogs.
Other than that, yes, I fully agree, and next time I’ll be more mindful when choosing a sit. Overall, I’ve done around 20 sits, caring for more than 50 animals in total, and this experience has helped me better understand what to clarify in advance.
Yep. Thank you for your thoughts.
It’s not a determining factor, but in my experience, older people are often a bit less flexible. Appreciate your comment.
Yes, I will ask that question. Thank you!
Yes, the owners are very nice, and I genuinely like both dogs and cats. As I mentioned in my starter topic, there is also a huge garden where they can run freely and take care of their toilet needs, so it’s definitely not a case of them only going outside once in 24 hours.
And yes, of course, it was also my responsibility to ask about all of this in advance.
I’m not super new, overall I did more then 20 sits, not sure how many exactly and took care of more then 50 pets overall.
Thank you!
The question is from me to you, not for anyone else i.e. the HO Pet Parents to answer.
You have accepted the sit, without doing due diligence and asking the correct questions, and now you want to change the pets routine to suit you. That is not what pet sitting is about.
Do you know the expression, The Tail Wagging The Dog? In this case, you are the tail.
Just so you understand how that comment sounds to “older people.” It sounds like a stereotype. Also, you have phrased the problem is the homeowner is being “inflexible.” Most people reading this, both sitters and homeowners are not viewing it that way. You not only think the homeowner is inflexible but you attribute it to their being old. You don’t see this at all as something that you bear any responsible for. If someone can’t accomodate you, then they are inflexible.
Here’s how this looks to me: There is homeowner who made the assumption that the sitter would care for the dogs the way he does as that is what Trusted Housesitters tells him sitters do. The homeowner didn’t do enough to vet you and make sure this was a good match. Nothing to do with flexibility. Everything to do with the site overselling itself to homeowners and sitters without explaining the responsibilities of each or how to vet each other. It also looks to me that you made certain assumptions about sits which are not true. Sitters need to vet sits. They can’t assume that everything is negotiable once you arrive and care will be on your terms. That is a recipe for disaster for you and the homeowner and the pets. To label the homeowner as “inflexible” beause they said, “You can’t change everything,” is both unfair and untrue. To further that by dismissing the homeowner for being “inflexible” and backing that up with “Well, you know, old people” is offensive.
Do not take dog sits if you are not a morning person, or at least tell homeowners upfront that you will not walk a dog in the morning. Do not take dog sits where the dog sleeps on the bed with you. If you discuss this with homeowners there is often an alternative. Sometimes there isn’t because it is what the dog is used to and the dog will howl and scratch at the door. Those are not good sits for you and you are not a good sitter for those sits. That doesn’t make the homeowners “inflexible.”
As @anon9376833 points out, we do not support generalizations about age.
Please note this excerpt from our Community Rules:
Let’s keep our space welcoming and safe for everyone here. Prejudice isn’t allowed. Please refrain from negative comments about age, race, religion, culture, or personal identity.
Yes, depending on whose perspective you take, the OP could be considered in flexible in this case, regardless of their age.
Perhaps it’s more generational. Although it is a generalization that doesn’t always hold true (people are individuals after all) — but my best sits do seem to be with those of a similar “maturity” as myself. We place emphasis on similar things, have similar attitudes & ways of dealing with unexpected situations, etc.
(Although it could also just be that I gravitate toward people with similar traits, and I’m good at vetting potential hosts.) ![]()
I’ve had an age range of sitters on THS from 22 to 60 something. It’s never been an issue. Hosts have ranged from late 20s to late 70s. I have noticed that younger hosts - 2 in a row – warned me about “stairs.” I added a photo of me standing on my head to my profile. Should’ve taken some touristy photo of me climbing a huge staircase somewhere.
Haha! Perhaps that’s because there have been a few posts on here over the years about sitters seeming somewhat surprised that many homes (esp. in the UK and Europe) have stairs! Who’dathoughtit!