Snake sits, anyone? Just curious

I am just curious if anyone has had a sit that includes a pet snake or even an iguana?
I happen to love these creatures and hope to land one some day, especially domestic snakes that are used to people, but so far I’ve not seen one listing for this kind of pet.
Any stories out there?

4 Likes

I’ve seen listings for reptiles. Not my thing, but good for you!

2 Likes

I’ve seen a snake included amongst lots of other pets. I certainly wouldn’t be applying!

2 Likes

There’s a sit being advertised at the moment in Devon UK with lots of snakes and geckos!

3 Likes

I was considering a sit for someone who had numerous domestic rats. The only animal I couldn’t handle would be one that required live food. So, a snake’s a pass from me.

I suppose if I didn’t have to handle the snake I could do it, but certainly would not be my first, second or third choice of a pet to sit for.

Would love to do a sit w a snake as eager to learn & not fussed with feeding it whatever it eats :+1:. We’ve handled sitting rats :sunglasses: so thinking of new creatures to experience.

1 Like

I applied for and accepted a 2 week sit for a dog, 2 cats, and gold fish. When we were finalizing the details, the HO let me know that a neighbor would stop by once in the middle of the sit to feed the ball python. I asked what that involved - defrosting a mouse and using kitchen tongs to put it in the aquarium. I agreed to do it - easy task and now I can add snakes to the list of pets I’ve cared for. Also pouring water into a bowl in the aquarium once a week. Did feed the snake twice as the HO’s flight was cancelled so stayed an extra 2 days.
Don’t know if the snake had a name, never learned it.

8 Likes

We were due to do a sit with a snake, owl, cat and chickens but unfortunately the owner had to cancel. We were happy to care for the snake who wouldn’t need feeding, it was more feeding the owl frozen mice I was a little unsure of as a vegetarian - my wife promised to do it :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m a vegetarian, too. I can do canned food, but that would be a bridge too far for me.

3 Likes

Toml,
Wow. Beautiful creature.
I am very surprised they didn’t mention the snake before you applied for the sit?? (and I’m sure that’s not something THS would approve of). That seems odd as some people would not accept it based on that, while I would have been attracted for that reason! Were you told you could handle it? I would love to as long as I knew it was people-friendly, I would only be concerned about it trying to get away.
Am not a fan of feeding frozen rodents but I’d be less squeamish about that than maggots, for example. lol. I don’t eat meat but am not offended by those who do or by the circle of life in the animal kingdom. I think canned cat food is disgusting but I happily take care of kitties and love them.

My niece’s job in college was as a snake wrangler in the biology department. She loved that job and there was no one better at it!

3 Likes

AHH! No way! That is so cool!! I worked behind the scenes w the caretakers at our local zoo twice a week for a semester (interpreting for a student) and the unit we did with the reptiles and amphibians was awesome but I didn’t get to hold any snakes, sadly.

2 Likes

The department head always waited for her to deal with the crankier snakes. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Snakes would be fascinating, not done yet but would welcome the opportunity to learn. Lizards, iguanas yes.

2 Likes

We have never had one, but I’ve seen quite a few listed on the site over the years.

1 Like

The snake wasn’t listed; we did talk about it - that a neighbor would care for it. It was in a closed office that had I not volunteered to care for it, I would no have entered. The aquarium was quite secure, no way it could have escaped.

Pet sat for a friend - her son had these 3. I had to feed the lovely dragon fresh crickets each morning. Sure took me a while catching them in their container in the beginning. It was only a week so no need to feed the snakes.

4 Likes

oh! I am quite jealous of this! The crickets are a pain, I know. But what beautiful creatures! The reticulated python is just gorgeous. If I ever get to sit one of these I do hope I am permitted to hold it.

We are indeed an ALL pets community … We would like to see that picture @carpediem16