Splitting a sit to find someone

I haven’t found anyone for my Christmas/New Year dates yet. I had someone contact me for part of it, including Christmas. I’m debating splitting the dates into two separate sit, one including Christmas, one New Years’ Eve. I’m thinking it might make it easier to find sitters. But I don’t love the idea of not being here between the two sitters, to check on the house and make sure everything is still in order.

Has anyone tried that?

I’m sure someone will weigh in on the practicalities. I think you need to have someone do the “turnover,” like a friend, plus a cleaner to get the place tip-top for #2.

The main risk as I’d see it from the sitter side is that people see their homes and belongings in a different light when they return after a long trip. I’d be concerned as either the 1st or 2nd sitter that I’d be accused of something (lack of cleaning, even theft).

I think this can work, but I’ve heard a lot of pretty bad stories so I would only do it as a last resort. It is probably less of a big deal for a short sit but I’ve heard some pretty hair raising stuff from 2nd sitters on long sits.

ETA: in another thread, admin mentioned that they can help promote your listing on their social media. You may want to contact them about that option.

Hi there,
I am a sitter and not an owner, however I have been on a sit where the owners split it. I did the first half and another sitter came after me. It was my first sit actually so I was a little nervous about not turning the house back over to the owner also. I asked the owners to have a trusted family member or friend, that knew their home and kitty, meet me and look at things before I left. They did and everything went wonderfully. I heard from them after they got back and all was well from their side too.

6 Likes

Hi Tamara, welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters. Thank you for sharing your sit experience and it sounds as though you managed the split sit like a true pet and house sitting “veteran”

We look forward to sharing in more of your TrustedHousesitters experiences … enjoy connecting with members from around the world.

Angela and the Team

Slightly different scenario. I started a sit on Monday. Due to Covid restrictions in Asia, the Home and pet owner has been absent for several months, with friends and workmates looking after her home and pets.
One of the dogs is great, very friendly, the younger one is very nervous, and I think it is the constant change of “sitter” that has made her that way. I am here for 5 weeks and hope to gain her confidence in that time, but I know I will be handing over to another sitter. Hopefully, she will be ok.

Are your pets ok with other people? I know you are only talking about 2 short periods of time, but it is worth thinking about.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll look for it. Is that on the Christmas thread?

1 Like

Not sure how to edit this thread, but I am looking for Dec 20-January 4.

I didn’t include my car. I’m a bit nervous to do so. But I would consider it.

Hi, it wa on this thread: When do I panic about getting a sitter? - #41 by NOmtnClowns

Hi @mountaingen your kitty is adorable and I’ve looked at your sit which looks like a wonderful opportunity it includes Christmas and New Year which is always a bonus for sitters, including you car for qualified drivers is always a benefit which is greatly appreciated.

There is still time to find your sitters, we do know that the sooner the better is always preferable for peace of mind, however this year is different as there is still an air of uncertainty for many around travel and a “wait and see” position.

We can share on Social which will give your listing more exposure … let me know if this is something you would like …

1 Like

Where are you located?

Hi Angela @Angela-CommunityManager
I just added my car. It’s making me a bit nervous but if it’s going to help, I’m willing to consider it.
You are welcome to share on social media!
Thanks!

2 Likes

@long1016 I’m on the North coast of California, about 2 hours south of Oregon, and 5 hours north of the Bay area. Land of the tallest trees in the world! :grinning:

2 Likes