Splitting a sit to find someone

I haven’t found anyone for my Christmas/New Year dates yet. I had someone contact me for part of it, including Christmas. I’m debating splitting the dates into two separate sit, one including Christmas, one New Years’ Eve. I’m thinking it might make it easier to find sitters. But I don’t love the idea of not being here between the two sitters, to check on the house and make sure everything is still in order.

Has anyone tried that?

I’m sure someone will weigh in on the practicalities. I think you need to have someone do the “turnover,” like a friend, plus a cleaner to get the place tip-top for #2.

The main risk as I’d see it from the sitter side is that people see their homes and belongings in a different light when they return after a long trip. I’d be concerned as either the 1st or 2nd sitter that I’d be accused of something (lack of cleaning, even theft).

1 Like

I think this can work, but I’ve heard a lot of pretty bad stories so I would only do it as a last resort. It is probably less of a big deal for a short sit but I’ve heard some pretty hair raising stuff from 2nd sitters on long sits.

ETA: in another thread, admin mentioned that they can help promote your listing on their social media. You may want to contact them about that option.

Hi there,
I am a sitter and not an owner, however I have been on a sit where the owners split it. I did the first half and another sitter came after me. It was my first sit actually so I was a little nervous about not turning the house back over to the owner also. I asked the owners to have a trusted family member or friend, that knew their home and kitty, meet me and look at things before I left. They did and everything went wonderfully. I heard from them after they got back and all was well from their side too.

11 Likes

Hi Tamara, welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters. Thank you for sharing your sit experience and it sounds as though you managed the split sit like a true pet and house sitting “veteran”

We look forward to sharing in more of your TrustedHousesitters experiences … enjoy connecting with members from around the world.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

Ok, I’ll look for it. Is that on the Christmas thread?

1 Like

Not sure how to edit this thread, but I am looking for Dec 20-January 4.

I didn’t include my car. I’m a bit nervous to do so. But I would consider it.

Hi, it wa on this thread: When do I panic about getting a sitter? - #41 by NOmtnClowns

1 Like

Hi @mountaingen your kitty is adorable and I’ve looked at your sit which looks like a wonderful opportunity it includes Christmas and New Year which is always a bonus for sitters, including you car for qualified drivers is always a benefit which is greatly appreciated.

There is still time to find your sitters, we do know that the sooner the better is always preferable for peace of mind, however this year is different as there is still an air of uncertainty for many around travel and a “wait and see” position.

We can share on Social which will give your listing more exposure … let me know if this is something you would like …

1 Like

Where are you located?

Hi Angela @Angela_L
I just added my car. It’s making me a bit nervous but if it’s going to help, I’m willing to consider it.
You are welcome to share on social media!
Thanks!

2 Likes

@long1016 I’m on the North coast of California, about 2 hours south of Oregon, and 5 hours north of the Bay area. Land of the tallest trees in the world! :grinning:

2 Likes

We would also make pictures of everything or make videos of the property and animals. It happened only once that we handed the sit over to somebody else (“friends” of the HO). When the HO came back everything was dirty and the plants had died. The cat was apparently fine, but I also wonder if they followed all the routines with her (she was very peculiar about drinking and it was very hot weather). The HO asked us in which state we left the place one month earlier (spotless, of course). But it would have been better to also do a virtual handover, perhaps a long video tour through the property and garden. PS: We didn’t get a review (I think it’s the only sit where we don’t have one, if you don’t count repeat sits).

2 Likes

We did this once and it turned out fine. We were the first set of sitters. We wrote a handover document for the next sitters & had it double-checked by the owners.

We also made a little video of how we left everything & sent it to the owners.

We did a little tour with the next sitters and that’s it.

We obviously prefer to hand the animals over to their owners, but as long as you make clear arrangements, I wouldn’t necessary exclude a sit because of it.

1 Like

Can anyone enlighten me as to why a homeowner would do this? I find one week for myself as well as for a sitter already quite stressful with all the washing sheets and cleaning everything thoroughly.
Of course our home is usually cleaned once a week, but I do some extra thorough cleaning before a sitter arrives. Do they expect the sitters to do this also? How is the last one to know how the home looked like originally?

Even though it would most likely be fine, I personally wouldn’t do that and I’m definitely the type who believes things will turn out perfectly fine most of the time. But I would avoid any situation that could jeopardize my reviews.

Like someone else said, you could provide some sort of ‘evidence’ you left the home in good condition. But let’s say for example, the owner doesn’t get around to writing the review right away, the next sitter screws something up, and then blames you and the owner believes them and then gives you a negative one. Unlikely stuff but you never know.

No need for someone to take a sit that doesn’t feel totally right because it’s convenient for their schedule, or they have fear of competition, fear of not getting an assignment, attachment to a particular location,etc… There are so many opportunities on here and if someone doesn’t feel totally good about one, let it go and trust you’ll find another.

I think a lot of ‘problem sits’ stem from people going against their initial instincts something was off and then they are proven right, or there are elements about the assignment with which they are uncomfortable, but they did it anyway for the types of reasons mentioned above.

More than likely it would be totally fine but if you don’t feel good about it, then just don’t. No need to stress yourself out or put yourself in a problem situation that could have easily been avoided

In my case, my trip is seven weeks away and I have no THS interest for my two week trip. I have been able to find a paid sitter for week 2. I’m putting together arrangements for week 1 (family + paid house-sitter) but if I can get a ‘full’ sitter for that week that would be easier. If that week 1 sitter wanted to do two weeks, I’d consider it but then I’d be letting down the paid house-sitter that I’m committed to.

1 Like

I certainly understand that it might be necessary to split the sit, because you can’t find a sitter who can do the whole time. I was wondering about HOs, who split the sit from the beginning into several sequences.

1 Like

Oh, and I would ask my cleaner to come between sitters. It’d be great if first sitter could strip bed and put new sheets on in these circumstances. I appreciate you all seem very keen to leave houses pristine but all I want is for you to tidy after yourselves and hoover some fur once or twice!

2 Likes

Dunno, I’d definitely prefer to just sort it all out the once!!! :smiley: Possibly they havent thought thru the implications for the chain of sitters.

Maybe they think no-one would want to commit for a long sit??