Sudden decrease in sits over the last few days

Over the last few weeks I was optimistically watching the total number of sits increase daily, hovering around the 8000 mark and now, over the last few days, it has dropped to just over 7100. Anyone know why the decrease in sits?

Not sure, but there are always some seasonal fluctuations. Maybe a lot of people already found someone for the summer holidays.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know, but Iā€™m one of those 7100 who doesnā€™t yet have a sitter for posted dates. Maybe it will increase my chances! :blush:

4 Likes

I certainly hope that is the case. I feel bad for seeing so many that are having only 0-3 applicants.

5 Likes

We are watching specific areas and over the past week sits that have been active for a couple of weeks have disappeared. These pet owners have obviously chosen their sitters.
Maybe people are becoming confident travel this summer is going to happen.

1 Like

You and me both. I have been using THS for over 9 years and never had to approach a sitter. They have always come to me. I have now approached over 30 sitters (whose calendars all said they were available) to be rejected saying they are not available!! ( very few of them know how to update their calendars but I am getting very stressed!)

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you are struggling to find a sitter, @HillFamily Iā€™m just a little concerned that you think people donā€™t know how to update their calendar.
The calendar defaults to unavailable (white) and has to be ā€˜forcedā€™ to green, available.
I have had 4 invites today, crossing a period where I am unavailable (white) and actively sitting with THS, so struck through, so obviously many people donā€™t know how it works!

4 Likes

HI JackieX, thanks for taking the time to come back. Maybe I have got it wrong. So I understood that when they are not available (cos they are doing other sits etc), that it would be crossed out through? I have approached people who have had the green- and they have said they are not available- but I understood green was definitely available? And white was just that they hadnā€™t updated either way? So I could ask themā€¦

3 Likes

Are you able to embed your listing here @HillFamily - you never know, someone may see it here and be able to help you out.

1 Like

Hi @DMJ and thank you for your helpful suggestion, however we do ask members not to post links in threads but instead put them within their forum profile - the instructions for that @HillFamily can be found here:
How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile
All the best, Vanessa

Crossed through is on a THS sit.
We have no way to positively mark ourselves unavailable so white is yes, no, possibly
and green is when someone has positively marked themselves available. If they are then telling you they are not, they are a bit naughty!

3 Likes

Yes, sorry, I meant up in her name, thanks for providing the link on how to do that. :smile:

1 Like

Ah- that would be a good thing to be able to positively mark ourselves as unavailable eh? I have wasted soooo much time approaching people.

2 Likes

A lot of people might just try to be polite in saying that theyā€™re not available when theyā€™re perhaps looking for a sit that suits them better. We usually decline without giving any particular reason (in the rare cases that weā€™re actually available).

I have already stated on a previous thread that I always give the reason that I donā€™t want to take on a sitting.
In a polite way of course!!!

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid that I always say that I am unavailable if invited to sit in a location that does not appeal to me. Some homeowners have taken offence and been quite rude when I explained that as I live in London, a housesit in London does not interest me. One actually said that it was good to know that I was more interested in the location than in her dog!! Therefore it is easier to say that I am not available.

2 Likes

We belong to several other house sitting sites, so our calendar is getting planned for 2023. Perhaps a bit optimistic - weā€™ll see how 2022 plays out.

@HillFamily Iā€™ll add a link here to a detailed explanation of the availability calendar.

Iā€™ll now use myself as an example. I received an invitation today to sit for dates on my calendar showing where I showed I was available. However, for various reasons that are irrelevant here, I declined the sit and included a reply (promoting the forum, of course :wink:). I did not say I was unavailable, but rather only that I declined the sit. Even those who keep their calendar current, like me, will have reasons why they decline a sit.

I understand how it is disconcerting for homeowners who, in the past, have never had to consider actively seeking sitters. However, we have all seen how flexible we have had to become over the past two years. Sometimes so many things in life are not ideal but are also beyond our control. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

After reading that you do, @Itchyfeet, I have also started offering a reason to HO when I am not able to accept their invitation. Sometimes itā€™s their location. For example, I try to avoid cold climates in the winter and popular beach spots in peak season. Having this info will help the HO should they decide to extend an invitation again.

2 Likes

naughty? far from it.

While I might be capable, it is still accurate and fair to say ā€œI am not availableā€ when Iā€™m not able to fully accept a commitment. This isnā€™t a job, itā€™s supposed to be a mutually beneficial exchange.

• Iā€™m not available for your sit because Iā€™m not comfortable caring for more than 3 pets at a time.

• Iā€™m not available for your sit because it is quite costly to travel the distance to & from your home for just a 3-day weekend.

• Iā€™m not available for your sit because Iā€™m not interested in spending time in that area at that time of year.

All valid, none naughty.

9 Likes