Suitcase or Totes?

My partner was looking at our sit schedule for this summer. At the moment we are in an ABNB in our hometown, as our new condo remains under delayed construction;.thus our choice to join TH.

Even at this ABNB (2 star dump) theres household items lacking (coffee maker, tea kettle, travel mugs paper plates, …) and other amenities we want to have on hand that don’t equate to putting in a suitcase.

Im curious what other sitters bring with them on a sit? (Besides clothes and toiletries)

We travel by car, a small toyota, and came up with the idea of using plastic totes for some food/kitchen items, expanded toiletries, travel mugs, his computer, other stuff I doubt I’d take on a week vacation trip somewhere. Some of our sits are 3 weeks. I thought to just use totes for clothes and everything no need for dressers etc.

Whats your thoughts?
Experiences in bringing “sit supplies”?

Are plastic totes over the top and a suitcase of clothes is just fine?
Thank you!

Russell

IMO it’s a bit much, but if these are things you just can’t live without, then go for it. Having a car makes it easier.

2 Likes

I think it’s great idea if you’re going from sit to sit and you have room in your car. If it works for you then do it!

2 Likes

Since we’ve been more settled and sitting more locally… and horror of horrors bought a vehicle again… we take storage boxes with our food supplies, computer tech stuff, and some kitchen items, as we just find it easier.

Things have changed a lot since we were fulltime nomads - we only ever had one carryon bag then, but it’s amazing how you can go from nomad to having too many possessions again very quickly :rofl:

Just out of interest, is “tote” an American expression for a storage box - today was first time I’ve seen that (as a Brit)?

3 Likes

We’re still nomads without a car so we are used to “making do”. Thrift stores (1) and cheap box stores (2) fill in the needed cups, tableware, pots and pans. We do carry a plastic pour-through coffee strainer, filters, and tea. We would love to carry a sharp knife but our luggage is carryon and TSA is a deterrent.

1 Like

When I drive, I carry all that stuff in tote bags. @Vanessa_A, these containers are called storage bins, boxes or totes in the US.

1 Like

We had many sitters who brought totes full of items they needed for the stay. I never thought anything bad of it at all.

1 Like

A tote is a large plastic bin (different sizes) with snap on lids. We want to use medium totes for clothes, small tote for toiletries, and 1 large 1 for comfort items like coffee travel mugs, water bottles, sweetner for coffee/tea/ french press, a sharp knife, etc.

We are not “nomads” living a minimal lifestyle.

1 Like

@Colonelmann , You have me thinking these totes are a pretty good idea. Like @meow , I use reusable shopping bags but the totes would enable me to see what is in them without having to rummage through every one. Plus, they look a lot neater and as @meow also points out, they will be safe from pets. I have had to put my bags in weird out of the way places, high up or in closets, etc., to keep enquiring noses and puppy jaws away.

2 Likes

I just noticed the largest item in our kitchen tote is chocolate brownie mix, LOL.

2 Likes

Can’t be without that!! :yum:

1 Like

@Colonelmann In Australia your totes to us are plastic storage containers. A tote here generally refers to a bag with handles or straps, often made from canvas, that is used to carry heavier loads. A tote bag can often be used instead of a suitcase when travelling for a shorter holiday.

3 Likes

We always ask if the homeowners have coffee makers and what type and if they don’t, we bring our coffee maker. Other than that we bring a few food items to put in the freezer and some spices, although I’ve discovered some great spices on house sits that I hadn’t tried!

2 Likes

If you’re sitting with your car, you can bring whatever you want, yay! :tada:
The only bummer is carrying all the stuff into and out of the house. (Think about how far your car might be from their front door, and whether you’ll have to lug your stuff up lots of stairs.)

I think using clear storage bins is smart. I also use backpacks and duffel bags with shoulder straps, to make the loading in and loading out process easier. (I can carry a bin and a backpack in at the same time, whee!)

For longer sits I ask the HO a few questions… For example, I don’t necessarily wanna be without a blender for a month, but if they have one, I definitely don’t want to lug mine along! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I always bring an extension cord and little battery-run lantern for next to the bed. (because so many HO’s guest rooms don’t have a lamp or an outlet next to the bed.)
I also always bring a headlamp, for the first time I’m in the dark at the house, and can’t find the light switches!

1 Like

Hi, I am a nomadic sitter in the U.S. I have found that many homes have huge, fancy coffee makers or none at all! Since I travel in a small suv, space is limited but I want my coffee! I have an electric kettle, single cup dripper and cup, all silicone and collapsible! I carry those, some ground coffee and a few other kitchen essentials in a plastic tote.
In another plastic tote, I have a small-ish towel, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. I have found that my hair and skin are much healthier if I stick with my usual products rather than using what is supplied…or hoping some products are supplied!
I try to never use the single-use cups, shampoos, etc when I stay in a motel or abnb…they are just so wasteful and it makes me feel so guilty.
I don’t have a lot of clothes and have them in a small rolling suitcase right now. I have used the plastic totes in the past…both work well enough.
I’ve been doing it this way for a few years now and it works for me. I guess you just find a way that works best for you!

3 Likes

I don’t think tote is an American expression. If it is, it hasn’t reached California or New York – the two coasts I live on. I would call it a plastic bin. Although there is such a thing as a tote bag, come to think about it.

I think it all depends on what you really need and how much schlepping of stuff you want to do. I tend to pack one suitcase on wheels and a laptop bag, even when I am on the road for 3 months and that includes a laptop for work and hiking boots. A shorter trip I might use just a carry on suitcase. Packing light enables me to move around freely on trains and buses. I am also not the kind of person who needs particular things to feel happy and at home. If you are, then I imagine filling your car with these plastic bins will make perfect sense. Have a good time traveling about.