The Wonder of Waterfalls #WorldPhotographyDay

“A photograph has the ability to capture a place; an experience; an idea; a moment in time. For this reason, it’s said that a picture is worth a thousand words.” https://www.worldphotographyday.com/

From the largest, most mighty falls of the world to the smallest tranquil cascades trickling through wooded glades, waterfalls are a force of nature that stop us in our tracks, allowing space for the full appreciation of nature in both power and serenity. They also create great photo opportunities :slight_smile:

On #WorldPhotographyDay plase share with us your waterfall images, large or small, and please don’t forget to tell us where you were.

4 Likes

“Water is the driving force of all nature.” — Leonardo da Vinci

Not my own work … that’s on another computer.

Bridal Falls BC Canada :canada: just 40 kls from my home and visitors were always given the BF tour … one of many waterfalls around the world we have been privileged to see

20170717_21_31_52_dsc_7712

4 Likes

That’s a stunning cascade… sometimes I find the smaller waterfalls more impressive in that it’s possible to get up close and even behind in some cases!! We used to have an awesome one in the Brecon Beacons in Wales, UK where that was possible!

1 Like

I’ll stay in theme with @Angela_L 's bridal falls. These are the American side of Niagara Falls, and the section on the right in the photo is the Bridal Veil falls. All visitors to Niagara say that the Canadian side - falls and surroundings - are far more impressive, but I’ll leave that for others to decide. I may be biased :canada:

4 Likes

Scotland, Australia, Spain

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these lovely pix… isn’t it strange, they are across the world yet they could also all be in the same place (except maybe the unmistakable landscape of Scotland!!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hawaii, on a house sit in 2016

6 Likes

Victoria Falls was epic… especially because to see the full width involves staying in both Zambia and Zimbabwe, and we took 3 days to see the falls and tributaries. We loved our stay in Livingston, authentic and friendly, but preferred viewing the falls from Zimbabwe.

To get a sense of the width (1708m) here’s a wikipedia aerial view: We were blessed with a pilot who, in low flight traffic, flew us over the falls on the way out. It was one of those moments where the experience overtook the need to photograph :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iguazu Falls is my favourite waterfall, located in South America and is situated on the triple frontier of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay and you can see the world’s largest waterfalls from the Argentine side as well as the Brazilian side. The waterfalls are divided by the massive Iguazu River. We have stayed both sides, I have lost count of the amount of times we have visited, it is way too many times but one of my favourite places on this earth! :sweat_smile:
We have stayed on both sides but prefer to stay at the Belmond Hotel called the Hotel Das Cataratas which is the only hotel within Brazil’s Iguassu National Park and is great because when all the tourists leave you have the whole park to yourself! Being a National Park it is a haven for wildlife, we enjoy sitting by the pool and having different types of Toucan flying over our heads and sitting in the surrounding trees and listening to the howler monkeys calling in the distance.
If you ever get the opportunity to visit this is one place not to be missed. We will be certainly be returning again once South America reopens! :grinning: One of the easiest ways to get there is to fly to São Paulo and then transfer on a short flight (approx 1 and 1/2 hours thereabouts) to Foz do Iguacu and then approximately a twenty minute taxi to the Hotel Das Cataratas.

5 Likes

I have to agree with you, both sides are stunning but the Canadian :canada: side is our favourite too!
Absolutely beautiful :heart:

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful photo of the Canadian falls, and a good comparison for the American one. Thanks for sharing. :canada:

2 Likes

Living in Washington State and having three amazing National Parks we have so many great ones to choose from. We have also visited many with the help of Trusted House Sitters here in the USA and all over Europe. This one is near us on Mt. Rainier. image|690x494
Next week we are pet sitting on the Oregon Coast and near North Cascades and Glacier National Parks. Can’t wait. Thank you Trusted House Sitters. Already have our first European pet sit scheduled for next Spring in Ireland. Plenty of adventures to come!

2 Likes

You are so fortunate to have all that on your doorstep! Love that photo… all the flowers !! Enjoy your next sit and please post some pix. We are so pleased you are having amazing adventures with the help of TrustedHousesitters!

Sorry waterfall didn’t post the first time!

1 Like

We visited the beautiful Kravica Waterfall today which is a large tufa cascade on the Trebižat River, in the karstic heartland of Herzegovina in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Absolutely stunning!

6 Likes