Beautiful Bridges

I was inspired by the photos of gardens in England and thought I’d create some other photo threads. Feel free to post photos of beautiful or interesting bridges you have seen anywhere in the world.

Here’s one to get us started - Puente la Reina, in Spain.

9 Likes

Yes! That was my intention. Sharing the stories and adventures, the photos is a great way to relive those experiences and to help others see what is possible.
And even if they can’t go for whatever reason, it brings a little sparkle to the heart which we so very much need. Thank you!
I’m getting ready for big photo dump.
Spain is beautiful. I’ve been there twice but very briefly All that is about to change.

3 Likes

Lots of bridges in Amsterdam!

10 Likes

THE Ironbridge…… world heritage site at the bottom of the Ironbridge Gorge, we live at the top…

11 Likes

Oh I have seen that so many times on Escape to the Country and definitely want to visit it one of our next trips to the UK!

4 Likes

Keep your eyes open I will be posting a sit for a week towards the end of May next year…:wink:

3 Likes

We lived in Ravenna Italy for 2 years, mid way between Florence to the south, Venice to the North, and was fortunate enough to visit both cities many times … I do have images of the bridges in Venice and Florence, however they don’t do their beauty justice and as the subject is “Beautiful Bridges” and not YOUR images of beautiful bridges I feel I’m not cheating … I’ve included some history about both as well …

Ponte Vecchio

“Built very close to the Roman crossing, the Ponte Vecchio, or Old Bridge, was the only bridge across the Arno in Florence until 1218. The current bridge was rebuilt after a flood in 1345 . During World War II it was the only bridge across the Arno that the fleeing Germans did not destroy. Instead they blocked access by demolishing the medieval buildings on each side. On November 4, 1966 , the bridge miraculously withstood the tremendous weight of water and silt when the Arno once again burst its banks”

Bridge of Sighs

“Built at the beginning of the 17th century, the Bridge of Sighs gained its name from those who crossed it. Those who crossed the Bridge of Sighs were seen as guilty of something, and it seemed likely that they’d be put in prison for a long time because of this. The name comes from the sighs that would happen as a result of crossing the bridge, because of the loss of freedom for those who were about to be incarcerated. This theory was popularized by Lord Byron, who mentioned it throughout some of his writing”

11 Likes

8 Likes

7 Mile bridge that runs from Miami to Key West
download (1)

download (2)

f0089fd56d734f4f4b83ea7f7bf249e3
Old segment of original bridge built in 1912 that was destroyed by a hurricane.

9 Likes

A couple more faves. This one is Bath.

And this is Albi, France.

8 Likes

One of my favorites in England. You may recognize it from an Oscar winning movie.

7 Likes

This one near a house sit in Scotland

7 Likes

This is a fun topic that’s near and dear to my heart @Kelownagurl. I love bridges!

A collage of bridges in Paris:

Pont de Bir-Hakeim, one of my favorite bridges in Paris. It’s also in several movies.

A collage of bridges in Prague:

The Széchenyi Chain Bridge in Budapest:

7 Likes

I love bridges too… old and new. France is a great place for exploring some of the newer examples! But my older favorites are the old 1800’s Ottoman bridges of northern Greece in Zagoria. For anyone who loves hiking this is an area of outstanding beauty and hiking in the ravine of Mikros Vikos and the surrounding mountains, is truly spectacular. It really is an area where you step back in time.

11 Likes

Clifton Suspension Bridge, over the Avon Gorge in Bristol, England

7 Likes

Another bridge we crossed while walking the Camino. This one was in Sahagun, Spain.

5 Likes

Wales

4 Likes

Bridge of Lions, St Augustine.
Our first of many bridges in the US. We encountered many as we sailed up the east coast but this one was special. The operator welcomed us to the US and I blew kisses to him. It opens up to boats every half hour.

4 Likes

Brooklyn Bridge as we were about to sail under it. A rare view of a beautiful old bridge.

9 Likes

We had a housesit not far from Stourhead on our first year with THS.

7 Likes