THS insurance & Brexit

One of the reasons why we renewed our membership of THS was the insurance for the homeowners.
We care for the properties and pets as if these were our own, but you never know.

Now with Brexit (very sad) is this insurance still valid?

2 Likes

I’m sure it would be. I can’t think of a reason why not. Does anyone know?

@Dutchpetlovers @LTD … Thank you for asking a very relevant question which is best addressed by @Katie_Mc who I’m sure will be able to help when she is back on line tomorrow.

2 Likes

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32009L0138&qid=1620158734376
It must be here in these texts…

1 Like

Hi @Dutchpetlovers

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you regarding your question about our Home and Contents Protection.

Our Home and Contents Protection is there to step in should your own insurance deny your claim, this extends to all countries that we operate in as it is an international insurance company.

You can find out more by following this link which also has our Terms and Conditions as well.
https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/pages/home-and-contents-protection/

Kind regards,
Katie

1 Like

I think this is a good time to raise this again @Provence as the new basic HO membership will not include THS insurance.
As a sitter, I have been confused with what THS insurance covers. Reviews on Trustpilot have showed that members of THS have difficulty claiming on it. I think they only pay out over a certain figure anyway. It is not clear.
My own insurance does not cover accidental damage in another property and they do not have a policy to cover other properties.
So what happens if I accidentally spill something on a carpet and it is ruined?
I am still waiting a reply from @Katie_Mc when I asked if listings will state whether a HO has just basic membership in their listing. If they don’t have THS ins then that is something that a sitter will need to consider when applying.
I too, @Provence would welcome input on this subject from other members.

1 Like

This is something I’ve never thought about (and probably should have!). I suppose I thought the HO’s home insurance would cover anything catastrophic and minor things (broken glasses, etc), we would cover.

Perhaps someone from the team could weigh in on just how much liability the sitter has?
Mary

Hi @Provence, Katie posted the Insurance details earlier in this thread on May 16th. All the information is available on the blog

no, it is just the two of us, and we did not break anything (yet) since 2014. We hardly break anything at our own home too.

Thank you, Katie,

we have our own liability insurance with worldwide coverage. We have not had to claim since we took out the insurance (since 1986). Never damaged anything on our house sits either. Just to be safe and due to Brexit, conditions could have changed.
Best,
Sheila

1 Like

Hi Provence,

Before we sold our house to our eldest daughter, we had many housesitters from all over the world. Even the lightest traveler brought their own laptop. Even the housesitter with 2 kids did not break anything.

On our housesits, we have always brought our own laptops too.

The insurance question arose because on one of the housesits, the owner told us that he invited us (we had done a housesit for him earlier) because a previous sitter had been very careless. Before that we were never thinking of this as we have worldwide liability insurance. We have never needed to put a claim in. Fingers crossed.

Good point.

We have a separate worldwide liability insurance. Independent from the Visa travel insurance.

Bye,
Sheila