Today Is Earth Day 2023 - Share Your Pics!

Happy Earth Day April 22, 2023

Remember, Earth Day is not just about one day of the year. We should make an effort to incorporate sustainable practices into our daily lives and work towards a better, more sustainable future for our planet.

Some of the things that can help make a difference …

1. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle: Adopt the “3 Rs” philosophy in your daily life. Reduce your use of single-use plastic items and opt for reusable alternatives. Reuse items instead of throwing them away. And, recycle as much as possible.

2. Conserve Water: Water is a precious resource, and we should use it wisely. Fix leaks, turn off taps when not in use, and consider using water-efficient appliances.

3. Plant Trees: Trees are vital for our planet, as they help to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Planting trees can help to mitigate climate change, improve air quality, and provide habitat for wildlife.

4. Support Local Farmers: Buy locally grown food to reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting food over long distances. This also supports local farmers and helps to strengthen local economies.

5. Use Renewable Energy: Use renewable energy sources like solar or wind power to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help mitigate climate change.

6. Reduce Car Use: Consider walking, biking, or taking public transportation instead of driving alone in a car. This can help reduce air pollution and save money on fuel.

7. Participate in Clean-Up Activities: Join a local clean-up event in your community to help remove litter and other pollutants from public areas.

Are you involved with any conservation projects?
Do you think that housesitting is a more sustainable way to travel, if so why?
What simple things can we all do to help the planet?
Are there things you’ve changed in your daily life to help the environment?

Please share your thoughts and let’s open a conversation …

11 Likes

Every day in my world!
Always ask about composting, recycling and such when in someone’s space.
Personally, I love local markets for fresh produce and locally produced products. As I become more aware, I now ask questions about how products are produced and harvested to be more aware of the conditions.

Plastic is a big concern worldwide. I am purposely avoiding it as much As possible. Bags, tags, and such are terrible for birds and sea life.
It’s not perfect but little things, change created consciously and deliberately can have great impact.
I’m learning, changing and most definitely enjoying the process and connection with life in its natural state.

Carpincho

Pet sitting has graced me with great experiences with people who have taught me a great deal about nature, clean and simple living on homesteads, farms, animal care.

Currently not involved with any organizations and don’t feel the need to be.
One can do great things, quietly without a lot of hoopla.
One is enough.
Well I absolutely love this life and this magnificent Earth that gives us all life.
We are the One

5 Likes

I always have more :blush:
Sally wherever you are, thank you.

3 Likes

Like @Amparo states every little thing you do can create an impact. I strive to do my best, although not perfect to create a difference. Just being mindful of our habits and doing a little bit at a time helps. I will follow with some nature pics since Mother earth is our home and we should all show our respect.

5 Likes

I thought it would be nice to share some of our nature photos since today is the official Earth Day ( which is everyday) let’s take a moment to honor Mother Earth who we walk on daily and and show her respect and grace as we should.

#happyearthday

This inage is from yesterday here in Monterey where I’m currently sitting and one of my favorite places on this planet. Here, some Pigeon Guillemots one of my favorite Seabirds under the Monterey Bay Aquarium

6 Likes

:earth_americas: :herb: :green_heart:

6 Likes

258768557_4656663837706406_912070498168643673_n

248982354_4579378068768317_4869913791446770511_n

243429032_4501028769936581_2941296846008966468_n

273967505_4980542768651843_4578957160298859982_n

5 Likes

:earth_americas: :green_heart:

5 Likes

273017511_4938214742884646_1673038486399211609_n

6 Likes

@Angela_L beautiful :heart:

1 Like

2 Likes

My 2 sons (14 and 12) and I regularly volunteer doing conservation work on local nature reserves. Over the years we have planted and continued to care for thousands of trees, done hedge laying, coppicing, pond restoration, cutting back excess willow growth from a lake, sowed seeds and planted seedlings to attract pollinators and increase biodiversity, battled with brambles as we cut back undergrowth from paths and cleared undergrowth to allow a beacon to be seen from afar once more!

3 Likes

I’m not a big campaigner or anything like that but I always take my litter home with me. I recycle wherever and when ever I can. I love the countryside and can’t bear to see the amount of rubbish people leave behind.

My photos are all taken in Scotland and happily free from rubbish.
Not a photographer by any means but I hope you like them

3 Likes

@fyfie Whereabouts in Scotland was the 3rd photo taken? I’m sure I recognise it!

Coming late to this, but as you rightly say Angela, every day is Earth day!

First a big shout out to all the home owners who’ve willingly allowed us to charge our EV.

I think house sitting’s indirectly great for planetary wellbeing. It builds community, promotes mutually supportive relationships, and connects a diverse range of people with different backgrounds and skills, who probably wouldn’t have otherwise met - all of which increases the resilience in diversity we’ll need in years to come.

Sometimes I find it tricky on sits where we’re asked to use toxic household or gardening chemicals, lavish energy use etc. Sometimes I leave behind a bottle of eco friendly product, so that home owners at least know they exist!

And then of course there’s the pet food… most mainstream brands of pet food are produced in ways that are harmful to the environment, and make use of meat from animals reared in factory farms. This can be a sensitive subject - we are all animal lovers - and I don’t often broach it. But I love it when there’s pet food that’s good for pet and planet.

I love picking up eco-friendly hints and tips as we travel around, and we always like finding local shops, growers and producers. Where we can’t buy organic, we have an organic veg box from Riverford (other boxes are available) that follows us round! But best of all is when we’re invited to pick yummie home-grown organic veggies/fruit from the garden. No packaging, no food miles, no nasty chemicals; good for us, wildlife, soil and climate. What’s not to love?

2 Likes

Oh and of course travel! Because of climate change we made a decision not to fly any more about seven years ago. Family circs have kept us in the UK for most of that time, and we’ve loved exploring different corners we’d never have found. But we’re looking forward to expanding one day, when Eastern Europe by train or EV will be top of my wish list!

2 Likes

This is one of my recent favorites.

It shows the 4 earth elements in pureness, overwhelming and enormous size. Earth, Water, Air and Fire.

Imagine also that left of me is to-tal Europe, right is to-tal Africa and a little more to my back to-tal Atlantic.

This is a 3 Continent Spot.
(I consider the Atlantic as a continent, just under water :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

The place is ‘magic’ if you sit there and feel the enormous nature around you.

Taken 7 km above Tarifa (Spain)

3 Likes