Traveling In COVID times

Most of the measures in Germany aren’t for safety reasons, though, but in order to make life for the unvaccinated as uncomfortable as possible (not stating my opinion, this is what politicians here actually say). There isn’t much you can do here if you’re not vaccinated or recovered (“2G rule”), only going to the grocery store and the pharmacy is still fine. Soon you’ll have to present evidence of a booster as well and there is talk of another lockdown for everyone or the implementation of nation-wide 2G+ rules (vaccinated/recovered plus test). If you can, better avoid Germany for now (writing from Berlin).

1 Like

I am a US sitter who is planning for 2022 and finding that overseas applications are either being turned down summarily, or the HO will claim the person they chose is a “better fit”. The last application that said this, I asked them outright if COVID was a factor in their decision, and they, very politician like, side stepped the question and sent me links to various THS topics from the website. Considering they had cats and I have over 30 five star reviews with added comments about my excellent care, I find it hard to believe someone else was a “Better fit”. What happens as we progress through 2022, with COVID, and with applications, is definitely going to determine whether I rejoin at the end of my subscription. Anyone else?

I can understand why they are so wary. We are starting to apply for sits in US and Canada for next year and not getting on very well. Like you we have 40 plus five star reviews.
I don’t blame them. Who wants to go through the whole choosing process just to be told a week before the sitter is due sorry we can’t come because of travel restrictions. We check daily for any new restrictions and try to keep up to date with the countries guidelines. Panama, where we are at the moment, is pretty free and easy but we know tougher restrictions will come here soon because of the new variant.
Just keep trying, there will be someone out there willing to take a chance.

3 Likes

Agreed. We have to be a bit more prepared for alternative plans. I also have 40 5 star excellent reviews and comments are still some are being very cautious and rightfully so in my opinion.
I am proactively exploring as many alternatives as possible.

It would be nice, but I can’t imagine a HO would ever comply with this request, as there are probably more prospective sitters waiting in line who would be less particular. I don’t know if I would have the nerve to ask, although I think it’s within the HO’s right to ask a sitter to speak with their prior sits.

1 Like

After spending days reading through the posts on this forum, I’ve come to understand that “a better fit” means vastly different things to different people. Recently, a HO posted that she wouldn’t accept sitters with long hair because of the hairs that she finds in the drain, etc., after their departure. If a five-star sitter with long hair applies for that sit, they’re likely to be rejected. The HO’s post was an excellent reminder to me to never take rejections personally and to move on to the next interesting possibility.

Also, as someone who lives in Europe but has currently traveled to the UK, Iceland, and the USA, I completely understand why a HO might prefer to select a sitter who lives in the same country or at least on the same continent. Testing requirements in different countries makes travel very tricky at the moment. Just scan through some of the forum posts and you’ll see a number of HOs who are now searching for a last-minute sitter because they took someone from overseas who is now unable to travel.

But as ElsieDownie wrote, I’m sure that there is someone out there willing to take a chance. You’ll find your overseas sits. Just keep applying and don’t take the rejections to heart!

5 Likes

To add: my membership with THS will be renewed as their are numerous, wonderful sits right here in the USA and there are many incredible animals, places and people I have yet to meet.

I’ve said before and I will say it again, THiS is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself in a very long time. It suits my life now.

9 Likes

Imagine it Darling and never be afraid to ask.
It’s just simple conversation.

We are in the US and continue to apply for, and have been accepted for several sits overseas next year. This is such a personal choice for both the HO and the sitter. and It’s extremely difficult to foresee the future. We continue to live our lives and plan for positive times, rather than being overly cautious right now. I’m a firm believer that for every pet loving HO there is an equally caring honorable sitter…and they will eventually find each other. As difficult as it may seem, patience plays a big role in how all of us will handle 2022 travel restrictions. Additionally, I learned many years ago not to take offense, or have concerns about the opinions of others. I have zero control over what they think, and it adds no value to my life to put energy into those issues. Perhaps I’m thick skinned, but being declined for any particular reason, matters very little, because I honestly believe it simply wasn’t meant to be. I’m not ‘married to the outcome’ of any application, and just let it be until a decision is made. Regardless of how many reviews one has, it’s ultimately up to the HO. There are so many more sitting opportunities, than we could possibly do in a lifetime. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff…and it’s all small stuff. :wink:

14 Likes

Absolutely solid reality.
Perfect

3 Likes

I wish someone would pin this at the start of the forum. Very well said and I applaud your sentiments.
We live with those thoughts as well.

7 Likes

@Joanne … simply, thank you.

2 Likes

Absolutely perfectly put @Joanne :clap:

Wish I could be that brave but am not willing atm to apply for sits overseas. However, I applaud your positive attitude and you’re completely right that some sits just aren’t meant to be, there are plenty of others

1 Like

There are many reasons why another sitter may be a better fit so I would not take it so personally if I was you.
Personally if I was looking for a sitter and had two applications, one from my country with one review and one from another country with thirty reviews, as things stand I would say it is entirely fair to describe the sitter from my own country as a better fit on this occasion

7 Likes

I’m still being optimistic - have a string of 3 sits scheduled in the UK for mid-Feb to mid-March and trying to fill in a 4 day gap - will be talking with someone after the holiday.
But, who knows. I’m fully vaccinated and boostered but still had a + test on Nov 28.
Isolated at home for 10 days, tested again on Dec 15 and came back - today. I was a bit worried because my doc told me that sometimes you still test + for weeks after.
In the meantime I’m doing 2 US sits in Dec and late Jan.

6 Likes

Excellent update @toml! So glad to hear.

1 Like

Yikes. I’m hearing similar stories, mostly from the UK and Europe so far. Was that from a rapid test, by the way? Since they come back with some false positives, they’re not popular in the U.S. I am also booster’d and took the PCR test after Thanksgiving just in case.
Sadly, I was traveling for my aunt’s funeral—she died of a breakthrough Delta case.

I’m so sorry to hear about your Aunt, @Katie. My auntie died of a breakthrough delta case as well.
And my mom and a couple of my friends have pretty severe long covid as well. (from before vaccinations were available.)

Thirteen staff from a near-to-me hospital, all triple-vaccinated, went to a wedding together in Wisconsin. Every single one of them (plus many more) got the omicron variant of covid at the wedding. So yeah, it’s way more transmissible than delta.

1 Like

I heard about the WI wedding cases.

I am so sorry about your aunt, too–and the long covid your mom and friends are experiencing.

1 Like