Hello! I just finished a one month housesit. Frankly, it was wonderful - for three border collies including one that was a year old (more work). It was a lot of work but we did not mind because they were such great dogs. We do this for the experience and rewarding fun. This was not rewarding due to the review left for us - 4/5 for pet care and 3/5 for tidy. It was sooo muddy outside and the house being immaculate, we spent so much work cleaning the dogs, cleaning the walls from their spray, in addition to walking the dogs and caring for them more than any other housesit we were on so far. And we cleaned the place before leaving. We have only 5/5 reviews and these people left us an overall review of 4/5. I want to cry it is so upsetting! Seriously, we spent about 4 hours a day on these dogs not including additional cleaning. This review really causes me to go from a happy pet sit high to a deflated never want to do it again low. It is so bizarre because they actually invited us back to sit again. Heart wrenched. This is not worth it except for the feel good feeling. If you don’t get that, then why do this? I would rather go on a traditional “holiday.”
- Is it true that a HO cannot change their review?
- Should I approach them to find out why or take the high road? (I left them an awesome review)
- Should I leave my proposed review (below) and can they respond to it/retaliate to it?
- How much time do you spend on your housesits per day?
- How much cleaning is expected? and do you do? Does anyone hire a cleaner?
- Do you talk to your HO about reviews before the sit?
- Shouldn’t their be some helpful tips for housesits that are three large dogs vs. one or one cat for instance? An easy sit for a cat can earn 5 star and a heavy sit a 4/5.
- In another post, someone said poor reviews hurt them. Do you agree?
- Any comments appreciated!
The review: XX and X are very personable and we felt comfortable leaving the care of our 3 dogs in their hands. XX sent us updates and pictures which was greatly appreciated and X did a great job making sure our dogs received plenty of exercise.
Pet care 4/5
My proposed response: We are shocked to read this review. 3/5 for Tidy and 4/5 for Pet Care, and overall rating of 4/5, is not representative of our stay given the exorbitant amount of time and energy we spent caring and loving these doggies. We went over and above in all areas, including giving the doggies extended love and long walks up to 14km on multiple days, walk up to three times/day, feeding, training, yard cleaning/dog poop. Taking care of a young dog is also additional work. There was additional home and dog cleaning due to seasonal mud and we cleaned thoroughly. We honestly don’t know what a responsible caring housesitter could have done better.
Edited to remove sensitive info in line with our guidelines