Vegan sitters?

Hi,
I’m vegan and would like to find sitters who are also vegan. Is that possible? How would that work?

Thanks!

Hi @Schmidge - you can’t actually search for a vegan sitter as it isn’t a filter, but if you only accept vegan sitters you need to make it very clear at the top of your listing.

7 Likes

I’ve seen HO’s put their vegan-sitters-only preference near the top of their profile page so that sitters can read it straight away to rule themselves in or out. Hopefully when someone applies they’ll mention it in their message as they will know how important it is to you.

4 Likes

Welcome @Schmidge

I have seen listings where the owner states that they want only vegan sitters .
I have also seen where some have requested that the sitter is vegan whilst staying in the home ( ie doesn’t bring meat into the home to cook or eat ) .

It will limit your pool of sitters but if you are living in a desirable area you will likely find a similarly minded sitter . Post your dates as far in advance as possible to give yourself plenty of time to find a sitter who meets your criteria.

#thereisasitforeveryone

3 Likes

Yes you can but you’ll have a pretty limited pool to choose from @Schmidge when you factor in location, dates, pets, availability and so on. Pop it at the top of the listing (& maybe even in the title if it’s super important) & see what response you get. @Silversitters advice is good if you want more choice, for the sitter to be just plant eating whilst staying at your home #thechoiceisyours :thinking:

4 Likes

Just place a line in your advert to that effect near the beginning: “I’m especially interested to hear from vegan sitters” or “I only wish to host vegan sitters” depending on how strongly you want to come across.

We’re out there. I flex between vegan, vegetarian and pescatarian depending on where I am and the season. I put this line in my description along with the fact that I’m happy to eat only a vegan diet and bring only vegan food into a home owner’s environment if that is their preference as I am used to that lifestyle. One of my favorite sits actually buys me little vegan treats to enjoy while I am there with their cats as they saw it in my advert, even though they are not vegan themselves. :lemon: :carrot: :corn:

4 Likes

I think it depends on your reason for wanting a vegan sitter. So you can be sure that no animal products will be cooked in your kitchen? So that none enter your home? Or do you simply want someone who is aligned with your values? There are more sitters out there who are perfectly willing to be “vegan for you” than you might think. Recently we’ve had two separate sitters, young solo woman, who each described herself as “practically vegan” – one was lactose intolerant and generally avoided meat but was flexible. The other one had a lot of food allergies and didn’t eat meat or dairy. (A few days before the sitter arrives I ask what their diet is like so I know what not to bother to leave in the fridge and what to make for dinner the first night as we overlap – that’s how I knew what they didn’t eat.) Based on my interactions with them during the handover, each seemed like she would be fine about following a totally vegan diet while on a sit.

1 Like

I’ve seen sits asking for folks to not bring meat into their home or cook meat in their home. You can certainly put that on your information. I am not vegan nor vegetarian, but I would certainly follow your rules, so maybe dont rule out folks that arent, but that would be your choice.

3 Likes

@Schmidge a few forum members ( sitters ) have mentioned that they are vegan .I am tagging them into this thread as they maybe able to add some insights in making your listing standout to vegans . @PandAonTour @Manda @Rosa @Caroline99

2 Likes

We aren’t vegan but would take a shortish sit as an opportunity to change our diet for a while (we were once vegetarian)

6 Likes

I once went vegan for six months, so I could easily do it again for the right sit. I don’t cook anyway, so I’d just buy or order vegan. But it would have to be a sit I couldn’t easily substitute with a similar sit, because otherwise, why bother.

4 Likes

You have every right to request Vegan only in your home. Same as you can choose female only or a couple or non smokers or a hundred other personal preferences. Its your home!
I would always respect a home owners wishes and if they clash with my own preferences I don’t apply. Simple!
But please do state yout preference for Vegan at the top of your listing to save everyone time!

4 Likes

I eat a mostly plant-based diet and would have no problem if a homeowner specified to not bring in any none-vegan food – even takeout. If they went further and also demanded “no leather” or moisturizers containing animal products etc, I would do my best. I understand why it would be simpler to have a sitter who simply lives that lifestyle and can get it right. This is a matching service.

However, I think the number of sitters who are 100% living a vegan-lifestyle 100% of the time is probably small. Even if the petparent writes upfront that they only want vegan applicants, they may get applicants who aren’t vegans, and/or no applicants. Frankly, I don’t think there would be enough vegan applicants to fill sits all the time even in competitve areas.

Generally, a “trusted” sitter is someone you trust to follow the rules of your home, so I think the solution would be to say something like: We are vegan household and prefer a sitter who will respect those rules, so that means no bringing in or cooking non-vegan food. And please enjoy our vegan soaps, shampoos, moisturizes or bring your own vegan versions. And then during chats, to ask about their experiences with this.

If you are also feeding your pets a vegan diet, that is something very important to discuss with sitters, as they might have feelings about that.

3 Likes

Hi! The reason why I prefer vegan or vegetarian sitters is just because it grosses me out to think that raw meet may have been in my fridge and cooking utensils. I still eat in non-vegan restaurants where cutlery, pots and pans are obviously shared, etc. and my cats are not vegan, so they have their separate spoons for wet food and their opened cans are kept in the fridge. Also, when I petsit I give meat and fish to cats and dogs, so… that’s just me. This thread has been useful, I had not considered asking sitters to avoid bringing meat/fish. But I guess location plays the most important part at the end of the day. I live in Palma de Mallorca and sits here are usually very coveted.

4 Likes

That I would have no problem to comply with. I don’t cook that much anyway.

So you would not have much of a problem when the sitter ate meat or fish in a restaurant? Or ate cake at a bakery? Then almost anybody would love to stay in Palma de Mallorca I think.

(I would like to keep milk in the fridge, but I could manage without.)

3 Likes

As others have said, just put it at the top of your listing. I’m sure you could gage applicants seriousness in a phone or video call. There are plenty of us vegetarians/vegans on THS.

2 Likes

A Vegan sit in beautiful Mallorca? to some of us, that sounds like a dream, as we don’t eat meat and love the Baleares! plus over the years, we’ve tried alllll the vegan products that Mercadona has to offer, their Seitan based dishes, the Kio ene berenjenas hamburguesas and hummus, large selection of tofu and Hacendado texturized soy, so we would be more than happy pet sitting for you or giving tips to sitters wanting to purchase vegan products in Spain :blush:.
When are your dates?

1 Like

I’d also be interested in sitting for you. I attended a destination wedding in Soller and loved Mallorca.

1 Like

I was added to this discussion, and I am glad that so many nice people are interested but I am not currently looking for sitters yet, I’m undecided about going on holiday this summer.

3 Likes