What are you reading?

I just finished Cesare Borgia: His Life and Times by Sarah Bradford.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 6.57.05 am

Just finished this book

Catherine Parr: Henry VIII’s Last Love by Susan James, 2008

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 2.29.09 pm

At 880 pages it is a bit of a doorstopper, but about 200 pages of that is glossary, index, notes etc. I was interested to read this new translation by Tom Holland. I’m a fan of the podcast The Rest is History which he co-hosts with Dominic Sandbrook

1 Like

That’s a very famous book! I know they made a film about it, too.

A friend was raving about “Leadership is Language,” so it’s shipping to me from a Goodwill in Seattle. =)

While I was searching for the best deal on this book, I ran across another title called, “Leadership is Leadership.” Lol.

2 Likes

Back to the Tudor era for me!

1536: The Year that Changed Henry VIII by Suzannah Lipscomb. I also enjoy her podcast Not Just the Tudors although I found the recent episodes with music backing soundtracks hard to listen to. I prefer the music-free version of the earlier episodes.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 8.39.45 am

Reading this travel article. Our type of travel isn’t mentioned.

I have read this before and now reading again because I just love all of the Bill Bryson books and it’s a great read whilst in Europe! :sweat_smile::slightly_smiling_face:

I also didn’t realise until now that although Bill Bryson was born in Des Moines, Iowa, he lived in England for twenty years where he worked for the Times and the Independent. Well you learn something new everyday as they say!

2 Likes

I’ve just finished re-reading Lady Audley’s Secret by M E Braddon, a Victorian ‘sensation’ novel. My niece is studying it for her English A level (UK qualification, typically taken at age 18) and it’s been some years since I read it so I thought it would be fun to refresh my memory. I now need to ask my niece what her essay topic for it was.

The Borgias: History’s Most Notorious Dynasty
by Mary Hollingsworth

This has the appearance of a coffee table book - it is very lavishly illustrated and there are a lot of additional text boxes appearing almost on every page. It is very informative as a chronological, year by year history of the Borgia family/dynasty.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 6.57.18 pm

Just finished this history book - The Medici by Mary Hollingsworth

I’m going to read some of the Donna Leon’s Guido Brunetti novels now. In the past, I read most of the series up to 2013 or 2014 so now I need to catch up with the newest ones. She tends to write a new book every year. I really love the setting which is most often in Venice, Italy and also the ingenious mystery plots that she concocts.

1 Like

I’m enjoying this audio book😉

Edited by moderator to stay on topic.

1 Like

Speaking of audio books, I am really enjoying my audiobook borrowed from Borrowbox

It is Jeeves&Wooster The Collected Radio Dramas (BBC, 1973)

and it is very amusing, brings a smile to my face every time I listen to an episode.

I just realised that the files are also available on youtube

Jeeves and Wooster. What Ho Jeeves! Right Ho, Jeeves. BBC Audio Collection 1

What Ho Jeeves! Collection 2 Right Ho, Jeeves mp4

and more of them are on youtube as well

1 Like

Happy World Book Day!

March 2nd, 2023

4 Likes

I read Trace Elements by Donna Leon

Now reading Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love and Death in Renaissance Italy by Sarah Bradford

I read a few books last week, all were good!

Inside the Tudor court : Henry VIII and his six wives through the writings of the Spanish ambassador by Lauren Mackay
and two of the detective Brunetti novels by Donna Leon:

• By Its Cover
  • Give unto Others
1 Like

@cat.tails This is a great book for cat lovers! :cat::slightly_smiling_face:

An extraordinary story of the friendship and love between man and animal.

Dean Nicholson reveals the full story of his life-changing friendship with rescue cat Nala and their inspiring adventures together on a bike journey around the world. :cat::bike::earth_americas::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Every so often I read a book I’ve read before to remember and refresh key points, especially those that enhance my personal development. Today it is

7 Likes

I loved that book when it came out. In addition to his other books, he wrote a wonderful picture book for children that I gave my daughter when she was young.
(It’s good for adults too.)

5 Likes

Thomas Cromwell: The untold story of Henry VIII’s most faithful servant by Tracy Borman

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 3.29.27 pm

2 Likes

I just found this on the bookshelf of our newest sit - should I be worried?

2 Likes