What are you watching?

As a full-time nomadic cat sitter in the UK and Europe since Dec 2021, I often/usually have access to streaming services such as netflix, amazon prime, bbc iplayer and sometimes Disney+ but rarely AppleTV. I also listen to a lot of podcasts, but that is another story!

I’m interested to know what good shows are on streaming services, or films that are showing at the cinema, whatever part of the world you are in. So please let us know what are you watching whether it is a feature film, documentary or TV series.

Last night I watched Nolly which is a three parter starring the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter. Nolly is streaming on ITVX ( a free streaming service with minimal ads) in the UK, and will be available on Binge in Australia on 10 February.

2 Likes

We have just started Happy Valley. Gripping …… but no spoilers please

2 Likes

I am also watching Happy Valley and looking forward to the final episode next Sunday. I agree - no spoilers please!

Are you watching from season 1 or you are watching S3 now? The quality of the acting and writing has been excellent for all 3 seasons. I think it has been one of the best shows on TV (I include seasons 1, 2 and 3 in that comment)

I’d watched series 1 & 2 before but they’re so long ago, have decided to watch them again before series 3. Brilliant!

2 Likes

Yes, me too. I had seen seasons 1 and 2 previously. I rewatched them before s3 started last month/Jan 2023.

Sarah Lancashire has become one of my favourite actresses. I enjoyed watching Last Tango in Halifax (also written by Sally Wainwright) - Nicola Walker and Derek Jacobi were also in that series. Actually, I might rewatch that sometime soon-ish. I think it might be on bbc iplayer.

Something very different - A few days ago I watched Pamela, a love story on netflix. It was an interesting/excellent way to do a biography with much of the footage being from her own collection of photos & home movies as well as excerpts from her diaries and some contemporary interviews of friends & family as well as herself of course.

2 Likes

2 episodes of season 1 still to watch then the next two seasons. Gripping stuff

2 Likes

I just started Cunk on Earth last night (on Netflix in the US). It’s hilarious!

5 Likes

If you want an entertaining history lesson in Saxon England then check out The Last Kingdom. It’s 5 seasons based on Bernard Cornwell books & riverting. Made history come alive when we visited some of the towns mentioned like Winchester.

4 Likes

@Crookie
did you watch The Last Kingdom in the UK? If yes, what streaming platform is it on?

EDIT: I see now that it is on Netflix

We’re currently watching Welcome to Chippendales! Don’t worry - that’s just a link to IMDB - totally safe for work! :joy:
The cast are amazing and it’s made me laugh so much. Highly recommend it.

1 Like

@cat.tails yes, Netflix. Watched it in Australia before leaving for the UK.

1 Like

I agree, Sarah Lancashire is great as well as Nicola Walker.

2 Likes

@ElsieDownie this is a great series! :+1:t2:

I watched this in the UK, my husband absolutely loved it. Great suggestion!

Where the Crawdads sing. I did not read the book but saw this at the cinema and it was an unexpected ending with cinema gasps. I think it is now streaming on Netflix.

5 Likes

@Carla yes I enjoyed this film, and as you say a surprise ending!

1 Like

I just finished watching “The Snow Girl” - a Spanish series (dubbed) with six episodes. Really enjoyed it and there will be a sequel!

1 Like

The book is brilliant and the film is pretty close to the book

3 Likes

I am going to read it soon and I am glad to know that the film kept the integrity of the book. I try and read the book before watching the film but this one was just so good I could not wait!

2 Likes

I’m a ghost show girl.
Paranormal lockdown is based in the UK. Haunted Scotland is another. I think prime and/ discovery + travel channel.

3 Likes