What are you reading?

@cat.tails - Are Oxfam happy for you to volunteer for a short period? I often think about it but they always have an ‘ask inside for an application form’ sign on the window and I fear by the time I’ve faffed about applying it will be time to move on again!

@Colin
Yes, you do need to do the initial application process which requires references. Once you are in the system at Oxfam, it is possible to move from shop to shop. I always email the managers if I will be in a certain town and ask if they need an extra pair of hands and so far they always said yes, even if I am only there for a short time.

If you stop volunteering for 6 months or more, you need to do the application form again.

5 Likes

@cat.tails I love the idea of volunteering at Oxfam whilst ‘on the road’ housesitting! At the moment its not an option as we’re only hopping around doing very short sits in UK- but definitely an idea for future! I actually volunteered at Oxfam for 6 months- decades ago- when I was inbetween jobs and found it very rewarding! :blush:

1 Like

Ooooh a book thread!

I’m currently trying to start Caraval by Stephanie Garber, but I haven’t quite managed it yet. Posting here to see if it keeps me accountable!

4 Likes

I use this. You’ve to be a library member too. My one grumble about this app is that you can’t easily see if you’ve read a book, so if you’re like me and read daily and get through at least a book a week, I sometimes download a book I’ve read previously and discover after starting to re read.

Currently reading “Cloud Cuckoo Land” by Anthony Doerr (who also wrote one of my favorites, 'All the Light We Cannot see")

2 Likes

All the Light They Cannot See made me too sad @wendy_chicago :flushed: but utterly beautiful writing. Just read Love Marriage by Monica Ali, To Paradise by Hanya Yanagihara and American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins a little while ago. All recommended :raised_hands:t3:
IMG_7825

2 Likes

@Cuttlefish RE: All the light we cannot see: It is a very sad book (I am a bit of a sucker for melancholy). It is lovely and has so much depth. I read somewhere that they made it into a limited series and that the cinematography is on point but lacks the depth of the story.

Cloud in Cuckoland is not sad, just a bit weird, but still very nicely written.

I’ll check out your recs!

1 Like

I think there’s a film with Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander :+1:t3: @wendy_chicago

Excellent choice!

I’m currently listening to the audiobook Tom Lake narrated by Meryl Streep…I wouldn’t normally recommend audiobooks over reading the actual book but in this case she does such a fantastic job that I think it’s one of the more rare occasions that the audiobook is superior to the book. I highly recommend checking out from your library or through the Libby app.

3 Likes

Having seen her many meltdowns over the years, I thought I’d give Britney Spears’ audiobook a listen. Very interesting, often sad and fame at a young age hasn’t done her many favours. One very damaged woman. :frowning:

I’m currently listening to “Yellowface” by Rebecca F Kuang on Audible, and hooked so far. I fell asleep listening to it last night though, I hope that I’ll be able to find my place later on!

1 Like

To be honest, I’m a little bit of a mess when reading. I read a lot of non-fiction: about finance, personal growth, mindfulness, investments… but also fiction, particularly fantasy. The problem is that I read it all at the same time :sweat_smile: :joy: Currently I’ve just finished “Fourth Wing” (in paper) while I’m listening to “Atomic habits” on Audible. I really like Audible, as it makes my life a lot easier when it comes to “read” books that otherwise would be a lot more boring!

This is something really useful that I didn’t know about! many thanks :slight_smile:

I’ve finished a few awesome books so far this year:

Mona of the Manor by Armistead Maupin (one of my very favourite writers!)
How to Kill Your Family - Bella Mackie
Paris by Paris Hilton
Only Say Good Things - Crystal Hefner
Love, Pamela - Pamela Anderson
Wild - Cheryl Strayed
Down the Rabbit Hole - Holly Madison
Wildflower - Drew Barrymore

I was absolutely hooked by all of them!

5 Likes

3 body problem by Cixin Liu (after watching the show on Netflix I had to read the books)

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

I just picked up, The Most Fun we ever had by Claire Lombardo

1 Like