What emergency plans do you make?

@mars that sounds like a good idea. HO’s often say that I can leave before they arrive back. On this last sit, they said just that, even after our accident before arriving. Needless to say, we waited until they got back just in case!

@carpediem as I/we always drive to the sit if the HO arrived home early it wouldn’t really cause us a problem, though I totally agree with you regarding backup plans

My initial post was my worry that I might not be able to contact the HO or THS should I be injured and I suppose my concern that they would think I hadn’t bothered to turn up.
It is interesting to note that some HO’s and sitters do have plans in place and maybe this thread will prompt others to do the same. It has certainly given me food for thought for future sits. Thanks to all who have contributed!

3 Likes

Like you, I am mostly a solo sitter. On a sit earlier this year, I had to ring 000 for an ambulance and was taken to hospital. Fortunately my HO was very organised and I just had to ring her daughter whose details I had and who lived quite nearby. She was wonderful in not only checking on the pets but bringing me home from hospital late that night and making sure I was okay. The HO returned the next day and could not have been more caring. This is what one hopes for - that HO have a backup plan should it be needed in an emergency.

4 Likes

@ELNF yes having a car makes a world of difference not just for emergency situations or changes to the sit but to have a good look around an area and if looking after dogs so they can get the most out of things also by getting out further afield on adventures…their holiday also!Happy travels.

@anon39388349 yes communication is so important and as sitters we need to take on board that the HO is going to be very rightly anxious in the lead up to us arriving; this is the time we especially need to reassure them that we are going to be there and if a day/time has been agreed we should aim for that and if for some reason (eg trains running late, flight held back due to bad weather, car broken down etc) then we should let the HO know asap (its always good to have more phone numbers and ways of contacting the HO just in case they are out of range, have no signal etc). Arriving the day before has lots of advantages for both parties and that includes less rush, less stress, options for a plan B if trains cancelled, car breaks down etc, makes for a solid hand-over, helps the animals (especially dogs that might be fearful of strangers, have seperation anxiety etc) settle into a ‘new person’ entering their world, builds relationships and trust in a way that a key left under a brick never could, and helps iron out anything thats not clear in the Welcome Guide. @anon39388349 thats great things worked out in the end on this particular sit and sounds like you wont get caught out again. Happy travels.

4 Likes

@temba glad you were ok

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, and I’m so sorry to hear that you were taken ill. Your story made me think of another point - that of ‘ring 000’. Sadly, in all my years of sitting I have only ever once had a HO complete the Welcome Guide (and that HO found it frustrating and so also created her own). I don’t remember its content, but I do hope the content covers the inconsistencies that happen between countries, as in emergency contacts for public services. Calling 000 would be ineffective in Canada, for example, where the equivalent is 911. I have no way of checking that point, as I’m not a HO.

2 Likes

Thank you for your care. Having that happen to me (and the possibility of it recurring) does make you aware just how important it is to have reliable backup when sitting alone. I request a Welcome Guide from all my HO (and explain why) and most times they are obliging. Otherwise I email them with questions which I need answered before the sit. An emergency contact is high on the priority list!

2 Likes

Thank you @Snowbird. My reply to your comment somehow didn’t become a specific reply to you!

1 Like

@temba we are really sorry to hear that you were not well and hope you are now fully recovered and thank you for sharing the kindness, concern and helpfulness of the owner towards your difficult situation.

Often there are not only time zone but communication challenges to overcome but In an emergency situation we will do our very best to provide help and support to everyone involved. Before leaving home it certainly pays to do your research, plan ahead, be prepared, both financially and connectedly and always have a plan B.

All travellers, single or otherwise, THS members or not, should let a family member, close friend or contact know their whereabouts and travel plans at all times and have next of kin and identification details available.

This thread does emphasis the importance of having emergency contacts and plans in place on both sides.

1 Like

@Angela_L Thank you for your concern. When I travel alone, I certainly like to be organised and have a plan B and also leave my travel plans with family plus carry next of kin and identification details on me. I hope both HO and HS take notice of this thread as having emergency contacts and plans is so important.

3 Likes

@temba yes thats a hard situation to find yourself in and you had a good and understanding HO with a back-up plan. I hope you have recovered and are back to full strength.

2 Likes